What can we learn from 3K Poetry?

Join the Romance of the Three Kingdoms discussion with our resident Scholars. Topics relating to the novel and history are both welcome. Don't forget to check the Forum Rules before posting.
Kongming’s Archives: Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Three Kingdoms Officer Biographies
Three Kingdoms Officer Encyclopedia
Scholars of Shen Zhou Search Tool

What can we learn from 3K Poetry?

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:46 pm

DaoLun recently posted up a list of a lot of poetry from The Later Han and Three Kingdom period on his tumblr.

I'm aiming to read through lots of it over the next week or so to see what we can learn form it. I'm especially interested in language, phrases and words to try and make my 3K dialogue sound more authentic. I'll share my conclusions with you but wondered if anyone else might be interested in going through it too and seeing what they learn from it!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Re: What can we learn from 3K Poetry?

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:20 pm

I have even more poetry I can post here if anyone would like me to do so if it'll help.
"I take Heaven and Earth to be my dwelling, and my rooms are my coat and pants; so what are you gentlemen doing in my pants?"
DaoLunOfShiji
Academic

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:58 am

Wow! If you wouldn't mind! How do you have so much of it? Like, where did you find it?
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:15 am

Will be intresting to hear your thoughts on the matter SunFin. I would recommend people have a look at daolun's poet post
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:01 pm

Sun Fin wrote:Wow! If you wouldn't mind! How do you have so much of it? Like, where did you find it?

A few of the poems related to Cao Cao and Cao Pi were through this actual site. The others were either from various translated biographies, separate works like Cao Zhi Symposium, Poetry and Politics: Life and Works of Jaun Chi, The Poetry of Xi Kang and Ruan Ji and a bunch of other papers. There are still some books and papers out there i'm looking to get my hands on they also delve into more Jian'an poetry and into the Three Kingdoms and Western Jin which undoubtedly have even more translated pieces in them. I'll post them all here soon for you Sun Fin. :)
"I take Heaven and Earth to be my dwelling, and my rooms are my coat and pants; so what are you gentlemen doing in my pants?"
DaoLunOfShiji
Academic

Unread postby Jia Nanfeng » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:47 pm

DaoLunOfShiji wrote:There are still some books and papers out there i'm looking to get my hands on they also delve into more Jian'an poetry and into the Three Kingdoms and Western Jin which undoubtedly have even more translated pieces in them.

If you (and others) would like to add to your collection, this classic book is in public domain: A Hundred and Seventy Chinese Poems from 1918.

It's significant because, at the time, 140 of the 170 poems were never translated before. It includes poems from Han, 3K, and Jin, but also covers many other eras (roughly sorted by date within each chapter), so it may not be exactly what you want, but figured it might help. :)
Jia Nanfeng
Assistant

Unread postby Sun Fin » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:50 pm

Jia Nanfeng and DaoLun, you guys are treasures and I'm delighted you've found your way to this forum! :D
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DaoLunOfShiji » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:24 pm

Aw shucks, Sun Fin. You'll make me blush. :D

Jia Nanfeng wrote:
DaoLunOfShiji wrote:There are still some books and papers out there i'm looking to get my hands on they also delve into more Jian'an poetry and into the Three Kingdoms and Western Jin which undoubtedly have even more translated pieces in them.

If you (and others) would like to add to your collection, this classic book is in public domain: A Hundred and Seventy Chinese Poems from 1918.

It's significant because, at the time, 140 of the 170 poems were never translated before. It includes poems from Han, 3K, and Jin, but also covers many other eras (roughly sorted by date within each chapter), so it may not be exactly what you want, but figured it might help. :)

Wow, this was actually something I was looking for. It has come up in a few other sources as a reference and it was on the top of my list for works to find. Thanks a lot for linking this. I'll have to look through it.
DaoLunOfShiji
Academic

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:11 am

I don't know how interested people are in what patterns and phrases stood out so I'll share a little with you and if people want to know more they can ask!

1) the imagery of describing something with hundred (A hundred evils) or thousand (dust of a thousand miles) was a recurring theme.
2) 'Heaven' was often referred to in a spiritual sense but whenever the sky was mentioned it was 'heavens' - notice the small 'h' and the plural!
3) Cinnabar and jade were the most common used words to describe colour - the former was a surprise the second not so much. '4) Lo!' was used frequently in poems.
5) Also an insult I particularly enjoyed was 'snaggle-toothed'!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:58 am

I had noticed number 1 but 2 and 3 was new to me. Snaggletooth is a fine insult, one that one can rely on for all the ages
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Next

Return to Sanguo Yanyi Symposium