What game(s) made the greatest impacts on your life?

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

It only took one...

Unread postby Boushin Dragonfly » Wed Sep 04, 2002 4:39 am

Final Fantasy II

The year is 1991. I've been wanting a Super Nintendo for quite a while now, but being 11, I don't get much say in the matter of what I get, except for the best day ever in a child's life.

Christmas

Mom and I were notorious for double-teaming Zelda games out the wazoo. We demolished Zelda 1 when I was about 9, and Zelda 2 after my 10th birthday. So, when I had heard about A Link To The Past, I figured that was my avenue to getting a Super Nintendo.

Now, I had played FF1, and some Dragon Warrior, but I wasn't a real big RPG buff. Then again, I was a kid, I wasn't much of anything. Still, when mom finally said 'yes' to the Super Nintendo, and we went to get it, they were out of Zelda. Still, the guy suggested FF2.

To this day, I'm still hooked on it. The music. The fiends. The game. It just rocks.
Weapons are the instruments of misfortune and should be resorted to only when unavoidable.
--Sun Tzu
Boushin Dragonfly
Scholar

Greatest Game Ever

Unread postby Fen Dian » Wed Sep 04, 2002 9:13 pm

The Games that have made an impact on my life are

Super Mario Bro's for the Nintendo

Picked up the controler when I was 3. 11 Years later I'm still there

Duck Hunt for the Nintendo

Bang, Bang, Bang, Duck for Dinner

Super Mario for the Super Nintendo

A truely excellent game

Mario Kart for the Snes and N64

A really good racing game

Streets Of Rage 1+2+3

I can't thimk of a better game in it's class
Fen Dian
Academic

Location: In a nice white padded room wearing the styleish Jacket with long sleeves

Unread postby Manipulated Destiny » Tue Sep 10, 2002 12:42 pm

It all started with Mario..
Suikoden got me hooked to RPGs....
Final Fantasy Tactics sucked away way to much of my life...

So those are my top three.
Manipulated Destiny
Master

Location: Theres nothing you can do to me, STAB me SHOOT ME! YeeehhhhAAAAAAWWWW

Unread postby animetayl » Thu Sep 12, 2002 7:10 am

1. RTK 7. I've never played anything like it in my entire life. It was purely wonderful.
2. Chrono Cross. It's deep perspective on time and fate really made me think... and the music gets to my heart.
3. Final Fantasy Tactics. The story behind this game is so deep, it's easy to become lost in it's magnificence. I'm always waiting to see what happens next.
4. Zelda- Ocarina of Time. The one that started it all... I felt a feeling from this game that I'll never feel again. Like, stepping into an unknown place and finding that it is beautiful.
5. Dynasty Warriors 3. The game that made me interested in Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Also my first Koei game ever. I was amazed at the size of the stages. I felt I could run and run and never be stopped.
6. Willow for the nes. My first rpg. I didn't even realize that it was an rpg. But it was wonderful. I remember spending hours on that game, and my adrenaline rushing every time I fought a boss. My limbs would be shaking afterwards. I remember getting scared at the skeletons. I was so young... ah, those were the days.
animetayl
Sky Bandit

Unread postby Bismark » Fri Sep 13, 2002 2:16 pm

Good lord...going WAY back, here.
Well, Bionic Commando for the NES was the first game I ever beat, and man, that is still one of the best endings ever. After that, I found that I was playing games to get to the end, not just pass time. Next was Metal Gear...I was the only one of my friends that beat that. Then bigger and bigger, I got to Final Fantasy. That was a true epic at the time.
SNES came out and I just happened to rent Gemfire. Some friends and I rented ROTK2 because it was the same company and up to 8 players, and we played as Wei, Wu and Shu without having any idea of the significance. Liu Bei has been my bitch ever since. From there, my love for any Koei game was born. Koei and Square owned my spare time for a large part of my early teens. FF3 blew my mind for a while after that, and I still think about that scene in the opera house...how goddamn cool was that game?
Uncharted Waters, Aerobiz, Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore (totally underrated game), ROTK3... Playstation came out and Twisted Metal took over the lives of my friends and I, and Tomb Raider helped me pass the time when they left. DW was sent by the gods to bridge the gap between all of my friends that didn't like ROTK because it was too slow. Suddenly they liked hearing about the Battle of Red Wall and what Dian Wei's nickname was. FF7 was when I stop ignoring how much emotion these games could have. Then I'd play Tenchu and let those emotions run cold.
PS2 gave is the DW we know now and playing a round of that made me want to play ROTK again, and vice versa. Then came GTA3, and I was hooked for months.
No one video game has had an impact on my life as much as video games in general have. Nothing satisfies me quite like mauling 2000 soldiers on a battlefield, ramming police cars off the bridge into Cochran Dam, or breaking the back, arms and neck of a sentry. Who the hell needs real life, anyway?
Bismark
Academic

Unread postby Daio Quan » Mon Sep 16, 2002 1:57 am

DW and RoTK
i became a teacher on china's history!
"Beauty way sway all"
Daio Quan
Apprentice

Unread postby The Leet Lu Xun » Sun Sep 22, 2002 12:17 am

hm.... there were a few for me that made a huge impact on me

Tekken(any Version)-- Tekken is my all time favorite game.... and kazuya had a major impact on me.... he describes me so much... exspecially the devil form of him... err... no comment
and i also became a fighter.... and just by playing the game i learned most of every characters attacks....

lol i think that was all that had a major impact.... :lol:
~Hiei The Master Of The Jagan~
~Bow Down To My Katana You Weaklings~
The Leet Lu Xun
Apprentice

Unread postby Great warrior>Xiahou y » Tue Sep 24, 2002 12:47 pm

i have to say that:

Street Fighter made one of the biggest impacts on my life, it was a brilliabnt beat 'em up, my favourite character was ryu or vega.

Metal Gear Solid made a giant impact on my life as it was one of the best games ever made.

And last but not least....Dynasty warriors 1 wich was actually a beat 'em up, but with samuries (a samuri vertion of tekken), and dynasty warriors 3 wich is a brilliant game!!!!! :lol:
continuum yuan
Great warrior>Xiahou y
Apprentice

Unread postby Kenshin_Himura787 » Wed Sep 25, 2002 6:01 am

I have to say mario RPG got me started on RPGs, it was a great game if you liked mario, and remember kung fu for NES now that was a game lol, but to those who like chorno cross, chorno trigger was much better I thought, simple graphics yes but the story line was a bit more fun. and besides I thought that serge was kind of a nerd hahaha. but a game that made a huge impact on my life was suikoden, seeing the end watching what happend to your officers after the war brought a tear to my eye lol and sitting and wondering if they would ever make a second (which they did and made me happy lol)
Kenshin_Himura787
Tyro

Unread postby Great_Demon » Wed Sep 25, 2002 4:21 pm

Well now!!

Baldurs gate,diablo and FF8 got me into RPG's.
DW3 got me into RoTK.
Age of empires and warcraft got me into RTS.
Doom got me into FPS.
Mortal kombat and Street fighter got me into beat 'em ups.

And that's about it :D
了不起的邪魔

Every warrior has a name...
...and they all answer to you

"I HAVE BECOME DEATH,
DESTROYER OF WORLDS".-Xzar

"WE'RE ALL DOOMED!".-Xan
Great_Demon
Langzhong

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven