What game(s) made the greatest impacts on your life?

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Unread postby --Jonny-- » Thu Aug 29, 2002 10:16 am

The final fantasy games...
They made me see, that u can do more in games than just kill...
Shogun:total war.....
Mass tactics, mass killing...
Chcocbo racing..
The chocobo
Dw3..
I'v learn't a lot from the game..
"...one thing i do know though bitches they come they go, saterday through sunday monday,monday through sunday yo..maybe i'll love you one day maybe we will sumday grow untill then sit your drunk ass on the fukin runway ho...." -Eminem

--Jonny--
--Jonny--
Student

Unread postby Lu Boyan » Sat Aug 31, 2002 4:32 am

When I think of games that have made the greatest impact on me I think of Xenogears. The game gave me many ideas about our beginning and helped me create some interesting theories. Just about everything else has been stated.
Final Fantasy VII got me interested in psychology. It also made me think about other possibilites of life after death.
Legend of Dragoon for its themes.
The fear is often times worse than the actual danger.
Lu Boyan
Tyro

Unread postby Wind » Sun Sep 01, 2002 10:36 pm

Tekken Tag Tournament: Yeah, I know everybody plays T4 now, but TTT is still the best tekken IMO.

FF4-9: I am not really a big fan of FF7 like most of you guys. I still don't see why people consider it the best FF ever.

KOF & SF: My first fighting games, right now I kinda hate SF and stop playing, but back there is was fun... And KOF is the best 2D fighting game I ever played.
Don't hate me because I am honest.
Wind
Apprentice

Unread postby Russell » Mon Sep 02, 2002 3:29 am

Well, when I couldn't cough up the cash for Tekken 4, my friend and I created our own 'Tekken' tournament. The cast(s) had a pretty big impact on my life.

Joking.

I'd have to say Mario Land for the OG Gameboy. It was the first game I ever owned, so it introduced me to games. Definitely the biggest game impact. Too bad my bro lent it out to a friend who never eturned it. :x
I suppose I should put something here, shouldn't I?
Russell
Genuises of the ISS
Genuises of the ISS

Unread postby ZhaoYun the Stampede » Mon Sep 02, 2002 5:06 am

All of the Mario games:Mario was like the only game i played until i got a playstation, but that is a different story.Mario was like one of the best classics ever.my favorites especially were Mario RPG and Mario Kart.ah Mario brings back many memories for me.he even still goes on today.he is the plumber that many people like(besides Luigi, i dont really like him).I really want to play Mario Sunshine.

Final Fantasy series:what a great series.it is probably one of the longest RPG game series so far.I remember that i got a hold of my first Final Fantasy game when i was in 2nd grade.it was Final Fantasy 3(a.k.a. 6).it was so fun.its also one of my favorites of the whole series.i can wait till 11.also those little chocobos and moogles.i had fun with the chocobo races.

King of Fighters:another classic series.many people didnt really know of it at my school until KOF2000 which was one of the best ones that had news everywhere about it.i also have played 2001.dang is that last boss hard.i cant beat him.i mean i have been able to beat the other KOFs with ease but this guy.when i do the continue service for having the computer have 1/3 of his life left, he always recovers every bit of damage i did to him.actually he recovers more.if some one can beat him and have some tips please tell me.ok....um...where was I?ah whatever the games are the best, even better than Street Fighter(in my opinion), because KOF has a bit more...well...stuff.it has a giant cast of characters, teams, strikers, the whole continue service thingy.
"This world is made of LOVE AND PEACE!"
Vash the Stampede
ZhaoYun the Stampede
Sage

Unread postby DianWei » Mon Sep 02, 2002 9:32 pm

Civilization 1: made me interested in strategy games
Dynasty Warriors 2: Got me interested in History... really interested... enough to make me want to do some affirmative action at my school to get more history classes (im actually in the process of making a history club... yes muy geeko, but it just rocks!)
FFX: the last rpg i played before i realized that they are just the same things over and over... taught me to appreciate good games and break completely away from the rpg genre...
Im in ur vanguard, vanquishin ur d00ds.
DianWei
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Whoa!!! O_o

Unread postby Rowde » Tue Sep 03, 2002 7:34 am

DianWei wrote:FFX: the last rpg i played before i realized that they are just the same things over and over... taught me to appreciate good games and break completely away from the rpg genre...

Wow, that's quite a thing to say. Although, I do share some of your sentiments about the quality of FFX, I don't think that you should necessarily condemn the entire RPG Genre because of one game. I mean, wow. I'd like to suggest you play some of the following games:<ul><li>Valkyrie Profile</li><li>Xenogears</li><li>Star Ocean 2: The Second Story</li><li>Persona</li><li>Persona 2: Eternal Punishment</li></ul>These games are all categorized as RPGs, but they are very different from the usual FF fare. Perhaps you've already played them, if so, perhaps you would consider looking at them again. Have hope. Valkyrie Profile especially was probably the biggest breath of fresh air I've gotten out of the RPG Genre in a long time. The more serious you become about gaming, the harder you have to look for challenging titles, that's all.
Copernicus of the New Age, take this unbearable weight of gravity, and liberate this galaxy!"
~ Kenji Miyazawa
Rowde
Intensified Luck Soldier

Unread postby Xiahou Mao » Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:28 am

This is a tricky question.. and compared to some of these other answers, I'm probably going to be dating myself. But so be it!

Mario Brothers

Yes, the original non-super version. Being able to play a game with two people was great, at the time. Yay for Luigi!

Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy

I remember first playing Dragon Warrior.. I was shown it by someone who didn't know how to play it, and I didn't know either. In time I learned.. Final Fantasy helped with the learning too. I'd actually play it two player, assigning half the party to my friend to name and give orders to.

Super Mario Brothers 3

I remember whining and whining about how I wanted to get the game, and then being told sure if I bought it with my own money.. and then I went to buy it when it came out, and it cost over $100! Mom gave in though. :wink: And I played it for a long, long time..

Final Fantasy II

I rented this game for over a month straight using my allowance (because I couldn't afford to buy games with it). I got so far into it, it was kind of silly.

Dragon Warrior IV

See Final Fantasy II, except the store I was renting it from actually just let me keep it eventually. I'm pretty sure it was released on the NES after Final Fantasy II was released on the SNES, but it hooked me no less.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms III

Rented it on a lark, when there was nothing else in that I really wanted.. made up Chinese sounding names with my sister and started playing without a clue. Obviously, I got hooked. Some of the named seemed a little familiar.. reading through old comic books and seeing ads for Destiny of an Emperor (a game I'd played quite some time ago) made something click. So these were all actually real people? Cool.

Inindo and Nobunaga's Ambition: Lord of Darkness

See above, except exchange Chinese for Japanese. I got equally into both periods, going to local libraries and devouring whatever books I could find on the subject matter.

Final Fantasy VII

The reason I finally bought a Playstation.. not many times in videogames made me cry, but Aeris was one of them. I liked her so much better than Tifa. For those who are curious, I also cried when Palom and Porom turned themselves to stone, but I was younger then.. :wink:

Final Fantasy Tactics

Have to mention this game too, because I put an awful lot of hours into it.. was like making my own history as I went along.

Ultima Online and Everquest

I got into online gaming.. very into it. People will say bad things about these games, because some people get far too caught up in them and there have even been suicides reported, but they really helped me as a person.. strangely enough I became more self-confident from these games, because I was able to portray a popular character in them, something I wasn't in real life. That helped me a lot in my late awkward-teen phase when I was kind of miserable.. now I'm a lot better! :)

Dynasty Warriors II and III

Action combined with the history I so love? I'm in! Just the hook to keep me playing an action game after I'd usually get bored with it.

I think that's about it.. that's quite a few eras of gaming.
Xiahou Mao -- True Hero of the Three Kingdoms!
Pei Yuan Shao -- Sex Icon of the Three Kingdoms!
SimRTK
Xiahou Mao
Sexy boy, Pei!

Re: Whoa!!! O_o

Unread postby DianWei » Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:06 pm

Rowde wrote:
DianWei wrote:FFX: the last rpg i played before i realized that they are just the same things over and over... taught me to appreciate good games and break completely away from the rpg genre...

Wow, that's quite a thing to say. Although, I do share some of your sentiments about the quality of FFX, I don't think that you should necessarily condemn the entire RPG Genre because of one game. I mean, wow. I'd like to suggest you play some of the following games:<ul><li>Valkyrie Profile</li><li>Xenogears</li><li>Star Ocean 2: The Second Story</li><li>Persona</li><li>Persona 2: Eternal Punishment</li></ul>These games are all categorized as RPGs, but they are very different from the usual FF fare. Perhaps you've already played them, if so, perhaps you would consider looking at them again. Have hope. Valkyrie Profile especially was probably the biggest breath of fresh air I've gotten out of the RPG Genre in a long time. The more serious you become about gaming, the harder you have to look for challenging titles, that's all.

eh, those games arent that great... and no i meant that ive realized that rpgs have been really bad for a long time, its just that ffx is hopefully the last mistake i ever make when i play games, and as long as i humanly can, i want to enjoy something a little funner then, "go throughthe menu click attack a few times, and you are done with the fight repeat a few times, healing when neccesary and the game is done" there is no strategy in RPG anymore! there hasnt for a long time, the first truly bad rpg that i played in these respects had to have been ff6, way overated story, and much too easy!
Im in ur vanguard, vanquishin ur d00ds.
DianWei
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Well...it is pretty much true. =\

Unread postby Lu Xun » Wed Sep 04, 2002 3:49 am

Yeah, I don't really play RPGs too much anymore. They're basically glorified random number generators with interactive menus. They usually try to compensate the lack of gameplay with goofy contrived stories, and "state of the art" CG cinemas. There are some pleasant exceptions, so don't give up on the genre entirely. Try the Ogre games, I find them some of the few RPGs that I still enjoy, and the Wild ARMs games have always interested me. Action RPGs usually have much better gameplay, try those as well: Vagrant Story is a superb example. You may want to try more strategy based games like: Tactics Ogre, Front Mission, Fire Emblem, and the upcoming Dynasty Tactics.

I too have become disillusioned to the genre, but just don't totally give up, there is still hope, and thy name is Suikoden III. ^.~
性高潮枪
"Cheap sandal-maker! Do you always send your little bastard to the field?
If I call my little yellowbeard Cao Zhang over, he'll make meatballs of him!"
- Mengde
Lu Xun
Crown Prince of Shen Zhou

Location: Drinking wine, writing poems, and spending time with my concubines

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven