What game(s) made the greatest impacts on your life?

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Unread postby Gravity » Wed Aug 21, 2002 4:52 pm

Sonic- It was an old game on Sega Genesis, but it was what got me into gaming.

Super Mario Bros. 2- This got me even more hooked onto gaming. I would play it non-stop.

Final Fantasy VII- After playing this, I was hooked on the series, and started to play more RPG's.

Dynasty Warriors 2- This was the first game I got for the ps2 (Hey, the cover box was very intriguing to me) Since then, I've expanded my knowledge on the RoTK.
Gravity
I Got Skillz

Unread postby Dennis » Thu Aug 22, 2002 8:03 am

Suikoden 1 and 2: Much the same way Rowde was affected by FF3, Suikoden 1 and 2 had these characters that had to sacrifice family, security, social normality all for a chance at freedom. One character has to even bring his own father, who mind you is also a very good man, to death. The music and vibrant personalities of the characters kept my yearning to share certain personality traits with those same characters. I wanted to fight for what I believed in, as vigorously as the characters in the game did. They are truly awesome games.

Final Fantasy Tactics: The only game I have ever played over and over to read the story, this game was just like an exremely good book - It like some games do for others, show the artisitc possibility of gaming, this was like the 'Shakespeare' of gaming. I enjoyed every frickin' moment.

Destiny of an Emperor: Man was I blown away, and did my life ever change when I found out those dudes were real.
Dennis
Mutha Canucka

Unread postby Cao Ren » Thu Aug 22, 2002 1:17 pm

Starcraft-i still play it for hours a day and it has brought me to love video games even more than I already did. I started to get hardcore into strategy games because of it.

Final Fantasy 3- I started to really love Rpg's after this. I just thought they where purely awsome.

Dynasty Warriors 2- i know its a surprise but this is what got me into the three kingdoms era. It started when i red a FAQ that had a very short bio of the people and how they died. I wanted to learn more and more. I finally learned of the book and read it. It has made a big impact on me since quite few things because of it(this forum).

Hockey game for NES- forget the name but when i was 2-4 i played this hockey game and loved it a lot(i think it was because you could choose a fat person) that actually really made me want to buy more.
Cao Ren
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhou Gongjin » Mon Aug 26, 2002 11:08 am

Xenogears

This wonderful game helped me realize a lot of things. Billy and Citan are both role models for me, even if they are fictional. The profound love behind all the characters is something that is unseen in any game. The love between them, their reasons for fighting, their emotional troubles, psychological mazes, everything about the characters made Xenogears the best game I ever played. The music of this game is very important to me, and I listen to Creid every single day since I bought it in 1998.
I can't imagine a game ever being able to touch Xenogears in terms of deep emotional, realistic, fun gaming.

Phantasy Star 4

I was just a pup when I started playing this, and I played it over and over again. I kind of took over Rune's attitude and started getting more direct with people. I will never ever forget Alys' death, nor the words that Chaz and Rune spoke.
I feel very lucky to be able to own a real copy of this game.

San Goku Shi II

I was like what..8 years old when I got it? That game became my life for the next few months and after that I was branded an RTk enthousiast, buying everything RTK related I could find. I doubt that without this game I would not like RTK as much as I do now, just because of the fond memories.

Final Fantasy VIII

Though many nag me about this being a sappy love story I found that I was very much like Squal, and the love of a very awesome and beautiful girl helped me change my attitude. I loved the ending, it was awesome. I also loved the musical ending, it's a song unrivaled in FF games.
Eyes on Me was my favorite song for over a year because of this game.

Final Fantasy Tactics

Like Zhou Lide mentioned it was like reading a great book. The truth behind Final Fantasy Tactics was awesome and I loved how both the characters developed into great personalities. You also have to admit that Ramza is one of the cutest boys ever in any RPG :wink:

Suikoden I & II

Although I hated the fact that the gameplay time was limited to 20-30 hours I still loved playing Suikoden games. The characters are very good in the way they present themselves and the game is a mix of humor and reality. Something I can enjoy very much.
He who exercises government by means of his virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the stars turn towards it.
-孔夫子
Zhou Gongjin
鋼のチビ

Unread postby Zhao Yun 4 prez » Mon Aug 26, 2002 4:58 pm

Mine would have to be Zelda Ocarina of Time. I played it when I was about 11. From the very moment I got control of Link i was gripped right to the very end :shock: . The storyline touched my heart :oops: ! When I finally completed it for the first time I shed a tear :cry: ! That and DW3. Since March it has never come out of my PS2!
"You will not lay one finger on my lord! I am Zhao Yun!"
Zhao Yun 4 prez
Academic

Location: A place of no sin. No alcohol, fights, sex, and damn am I fed up with it!

Unread postby Ju Bei » Tue Aug 27, 2002 6:11 am

Final Fantasy -- NES -- thats right the first one that came out...it got me hooked on RPGs

ROTK 4 -- PS -- First ROTK game i played, read about it in a magazine, and wanted to play it so i rented it and i was hooked for good, thats what got me started on the series and history

The FF series -- all systems -- i love em all... 7 made it possible to make people cry over the death of a character...

Suikoden -- PS -- Favorite series of RPG i love the aspect of 108 characters compared to the 5 or 6 in most games, plus the 1 on 1 and army vs army battles and the castle building....

Ultima Online -- computer -- First online game i played, i loved the fact that i could converse with other players and join guilds/factions and be what i want...too bad it now went to hell....
"Let's face it, comedy's a dead art form. Tragedy, now that's funny."

"Fine. I'll go build my own lunar lander! With blackjack! And hookers! In fact, forget the lunar lander and the blackjack! Ah, screw the whole thing."
Ju Bei
The Black Swordsman

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Tue Aug 27, 2002 7:15 am

This is a difficult subject, as I've been gaming for going on 20 years now...so here they are, in no particular order:

*Legend of Zelda (NES)
This is one, for the simple reason that it's the game that got me into adventure and rpg games initially. I know it's not a true rpg, but back then I didn't know the difference, and without this game I probably would have never played the greatest game of all time: FF3. That in itself is reason enough to be included in a most important games list. (Btw Zhang Liao17, I know we had this discussion before at 3k.net, and part of my argument was that Zelda isn't an rpg, but don't use this in your argument and think you've won; remember I was very young then :wink: )

*Final Fantasy III (SNES)
Well, Rowde already did a truly commendable job detailing the finer points of this one, but I have a few things to add. When this game came out, I was at a point in my life where I didn't really play video games much except at the arcade every once in a while, and had just got my first job. Basically, I was moving away from video-gaming, and when I played this at my friend's house, it reeled me back in for good. While it had far from the best graphics, it had the best story, in-depth characters, and the best villain of all time; and it had that certain something that when you got done defeating Kefka you just got this feeling...of maybe everythings gonna be all right after all.

*Mortal Kombat (Sega, Arcade)
This was a life-altering game. For one, this was the game where I started to invite people over to spend the night just so they'd bring this game with them...even if I didn't like the guy (I'm embarrassed about it now :oops: ). Also, I started hanging around with this really seedy character named Glen which I really hated, but because he could always get a lot of money for the arcades, I hung with him. When Mortal Kombat came out at the local bowling alley, I put every quarter I could find into that game for months. I started to sneak out in the middle of the night and go to the billiards hall just to play it...this game turned me into a video game fiend. I think most of it was the blood factor (I think blood debuted in this game), but also a big part was the finishing moves, particularly the "3 heads" glitch with Johnny Cage, but whatever it was, this game had me until I got caught sneaking out one night (a social worker was at the billiards hall, and turned us in :x ).
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby A Sympathetic Character » Tue Aug 27, 2002 4:47 pm

Iznoach, Legendary Dragon wrote:*Mortal Kombat (Sega, Arcade)
This was a life-altering game. For one, this was the game where I started to invite people over to spend the night just so they'd bring this game with them...even if I didn't like the guy (I'm embarrassed about it now :oops: ). Also, I started hanging around with this really seedy character named Glen which I really hated, but because he could always get a lot of money for the arcades, I hung with him. When Mortal Kombat came out at the local bowling alley, I put every quarter I could find into that game for months. I started to sneak out in the middle of the night and go to the billiards hall just to play it...this game turned me into a video game fiend. I think most of it was the blood factor (I think blood debuted in this game), but also a big part was the finishing moves, particularly the "3 heads" glitch with Johnny Cage, but whatever it was, this game had me until I got caught sneaking out one night (a social worker was at the billiards hall, and turned us in :x ).

It definitely brought videogame violence to a new level! I brought was to many fighters, that I can't think of right now!
And it made me look at female fighters differently, such as did Street Fighter!
"I am a Sympathetic Character! I have been undeniably jealous of those who hold more power than me. . . I feel utterly threatened by them." - A Sympathetic Character
A Sympathetic Character
Langzhong

Unread postby Zenislez » Wed Aug 28, 2002 7:41 am

I only remember Xenogears:
There just to many events but the one I most remember is Fei say something like this (probably) "I'm Alpha and Omega. In this life and other life, somewhere, sometime, I will only love one girl". But not just that event. Many of the story teach us about life and death. I see the world from other angle now since I played Xenogears.
A real impact in a gaming world.
Zenislez
Apprentice

Unread postby A Sympathetic Character » Wed Aug 28, 2002 5:37 pm

GTA 3 also made an impact on videogame violence.
The game pushed the bounderies from videogame to movie.
Last edited by A Sympathetic Character on Thu Aug 29, 2002 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am a Sympathetic Character! I have been undeniably jealous of those who hold more power than me. . . I feel utterly threatened by them." - A Sympathetic Character
A Sympathetic Character
Langzhong

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven