What game(s) made the greatest impacts on your life?

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: What game(s) made the greatest impacts on your life?

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:25 am

Mitsunari wrote:
Zhuanyong wrote:
Mitsunari wrote:Wow, in 'high' school (we call it secondary school in the UK, usually) I was busy bashing my SNES controller to smithereens on Streetfighter 2 Turbo... :shock:...nyeeeees, I do feel ancient, thanks a bunch Zhuanyong. :wink:

Don't feel bad. PS One was released around my freshman or sophomore year so I was button mashing the SNES and Sega Genesis for at least one of those years. :D

*Retro high five* :lol:

Hmm, strange how I failed to mention the entire Metal Gear Solid saga, from inception to current day...Kojima-sama, I salute thee. 8-)

Indeed. :lol:

The first Metal Gear game I played was Metal Gear Solid on the PS1. It was possibly the most epic game I played within that given span of time. Then I started enjoying Capcom action/adventure games. DMC stole me away from the FF series and Onimusha finished the job.

I concur with you on Kojima and his creation.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mitsunari » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:12 pm

Zhuanyong wrote:Indeed. :lol:

The first Metal Gear game I played was Metal Gear Solid on the PS1. It was possibly the most epic game I played within that given span of time. Then I started enjoying Capcom action/adventure games. DMC stole me away from the FF series and Onimusha finished the job.

I concur with you on Kojima and his creation.

I blame Capcom for:

A. Creating the first 4 revolutionary Resident Evil titles, considering then...

B. ...How they sold out on survival horror thereafter and expected us not to notice that RE 5 and 6 were mindless action 'adventures'...oh they cut right to the bone, the friggin' lameness was epic...*heaves*

Incidentally, did you ever play Policenauts, Zhuanyong? I can't remember if it was a Japanese exclusive or not, but it's often overlooked as a stroke of brilliance by Kojima.
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby SunXia » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:06 pm

The Lego Harry Potter Games have made a huge impact on my life in the last year mainly because I taught my then-3 year old nephew how to play and he's been obsessed since and I've been a tad obsessed with unlocking everything because he loves doing it too!! We have one left to unlock and he feels so accomplished!!
If becoming enlightened or an intellectual means I must become arrogant and coldly cynical about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool for the rest of my life!!

I'm Out4Marriage!!!Are You??

It is a CHOICE!!
SunXia
Warrior Princess
Warrior Princess

Location: Keeping Evils from this world at bay...with a smile!!

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:59 am

Think Metal Gear Solid 2 and FFX were the games that showed me what a story games could create, what characters and emotional pull they could have. FFX and Neverwinter Nights pulled me into the world of RPG's, Valkyrie Chronicles has taught me the value of games outside the norm.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:24 pm

Somehow I missed this post. :oops:

Mitsunari wrote:
I blame Capcom for:

B. ...How they sold out on survival horror thereafter and expected us not to notice that RE 5 and 6 were mindless action 'adventures'...oh they cut right to the bone, the friggin' lameness was epic...*heaves*

I concur. The first one I actually played was RE3 but it made me excited for the series future and wanted to touch the past. I had only watched a family play through RE2.

Capcom absorbed me through two other series, however... DMC and Onimusha. Especially Onimusha, which I played the first three with a pure vengeance.

Incidentally, did you ever play Policenauts, Zhuanyong? I can't remember if it was a Japanese exclusive or not, but it's often overlooked as a stroke of brilliance by Kojima.

I've never played that game. I did hear about it though.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mitsunari » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:22 pm

Zhuanyong wrote:Somehow I missed this post. :oops:

Mitsunari wrote:
I blame Capcom for:

I concur. The first one I actually played was RE3 but it made me excited for the series future and wanted to touch the past. I had only watched a family play through RE2.

Capcom absorbed me through two other series, however... DMC and Onimusha. Especially Onimusha, which I played the first three with a pure vengeance.

I've never played that game. I did hear about it though.

You and I seem to concur on a truck-load of opinions, mate. It's quite startling, since most find my opinions disagreeable and basically, clap-trap. :lol:

I think the Resi Evil brand peaked at the third installment, a peerless example of how creative scripting and depth of genre can inspire awe in gamers, however from there it was a progressive downhill spiral. Code Veronica was the turning point, imo...flat, unimaginative and it lacked the same atmosphere of it's predecessors...RE4 redressed the balance somewhat, but it didn't feel like the Resi Evil.

Personally, I believe Capcom abandoned the Survival Horror genre too prematurely, for fear of the brand stagnating...which it, ironically, has.

Incidentally, Policenauts is ultra rare, as I found out. Anyone outside of Japan's borders would be very fortunate to own a copy. I feel a petition brewing, again...lol
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:39 am

Mitsunari wrote:You and I seem to concur on a truck-load of opinions, mate. It's quite startling, since most find my opinions disagreeable and basically, clap-trap. :lol:

That's because great minds think alike! :D :lol:

I think the Resi Evil brand peaked at the third installment, a peerless example of how creative scripting and depth of genre can inspire awe in gamers, however from there it was a progressive downhill spiral. Code Veronica was the turning point, imo...flat, unimaginative and it lacked the same atmosphere of it's predecessors...RE4 redressed the balance somewhat, but it didn't feel like the Resi Evil.

Personally, I believe Capcom abandoned the Survival Horror genre too prematurely, for fear of the brand stagnating...which it, ironically, has.

And Code Veronica was the last RE game I played. I did want to play the one that brought back Leon but, never got around to buying it. I agree that there was a progressive downward spiral. I also believe that much of that was because the action game genre picked up at a high speed and Onimusha & DMC were very successful. I noticed that the RE games started to get some of those elements at a fail level. They shouldn't have tried to make it Resident Onimaycry.

Incidentally, Policenauts is ultra rare, as I found out. Anyone outside of Japan's borders would be very fortunate to own a copy. I feel a petition brewing, again...lol

I see. :lol:

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ah-Man » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:19 pm

Xenogears gave me my first existential crisis when I was 11...
Ah-Man
Academic

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:59 am

Ah-Man wrote:Xenogears gave me my first existential crisis when I was 11...

:lol: Same here but I was about 17 when I first played it. Awesome game, awesome story and cause for reflection.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby jepoyamp » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:19 am

Duck Hunt. - "I can really shoot the ducks" most satisfying feeling ever. I miss those things. I love to shoot things. Who doesn't?

Super mario games on snes and fat gameboy - part of my childhood right there, gave me a sense of adventure as a kid.

Street Fighter + Mortal Kombat - just enjoyment to the fullest. Made me more interested in real fighting. Made me try different Martial Arts. Got to know Muay Thai.

Command and Conquer Red Alert 1 - the reason why I'm addicted to strategy and tactical games. Played this for years. I didn't even know that you could deploy the base on skirmishes on the first month of playing. :lol:

Game of the Generals - favorite childhood board game. Makes my mind work. Still playing it now.

Pokemon - Reason why I love to take care of animals, well, ive always loved animals when I was a kid.

Final Fantasy Tactics - turn based strategy + rpg with customizables characters?? I'm sold. Didn't like other FF series, except for 5 where there is 5 classes.

Harvest Moon - Reason I plant some fruit seeds in my province. Mangoes, banana and papaya. Yum!
jepoyamp
Tyro

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven