What game(s) made the greatest impacts on your life?

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: What game(s) made the greatest impacts on your life?

Unread postby Hyper90 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:51 pm

the three major games of blizzard :mrgreen:

warcraft
starcraft
diablo

they always stick to me

not to forget Rotk and counter strike.

CS got my skills better each time when i played on it. the competition, the intense :mrgreen:
"There are five possible operations for any army. If you can fight, fight; if you cannot fight, defend; if you cannot defend, flee; if you cannot flee, surrender; if you cannot surrender, die. " Sima Yi

take a look please
Hyper90
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Tiger of Kai » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:25 pm

Sky Shark (NES)
Super Mario Bros. (NES)
Dynasty Warriors 4 (PS2)
Dead Ball Zone (PSOne)
Madden 98 (SNES)

I'm sure there's others, but these games come right off the top of my head as games I spent days upon days playing.
Tiger of Kai
Initiate

Unread postby Catalyst » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:00 pm

I think I made a post here a long long time ago. But I'm throwing in a couple new answers.

First off, Shadow of the Colossus. This game completely revised the idea of what games should be, to me. It totally opened my eyes to games as more than just something that has objectives and I kill things, but into the idea that games can truly be art. It's got some deep, deep meaning under it (I recently wrote an essay on this exact subject). Not to mention, the visual artwork is simply beautiful.

Secondly, the Mass Effect series. They've completely raised the bar for what games should do, storyline-wise. Giving players control and choice that decides things in the future is just so totally foreign a concept. Plus, there's so much more to these games than just the story and the gameplay, there's incredible philosophical questions to it (my next paper, a work in progress :P Sometimes I like to self-promote). It's altered how I look at games, and also altered how I look at myself. Playing through and making your own choices, and then seeing a meter that tells you who you are is kind of interesting.
Catalyst
Apostle of Peace

Unread postby Sakujo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:02 pm

Persona 3: Portable taught me the value of human relationships. It triggered my empathy. It made me want to improve myself. It's truly an amazing game.

Shadow of the Colossus was just moving beyond words. No one can look at the death scenes of the Colossi without being affected in some way.
Sakujo
Tyro

Unread postby Ah-Man » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:58 am

Megaman, if it wasn't for the blue bomber I probably would never gotten in videogames or drawing. As a kid, whenever a new MM game came out, it was double the pleasure for me. A new game to play + new robot masters to draw :). Video games were really expensive back then so MM was pretty much the only game I bought till the Playstation came out (and piracy XD).

My first taste of JRPG was FF7 and Breath of Fire 3. I played both of them one after the other but for some reason Breath of Fire 3 left a bigger impact on me. I know alot of people consider FF7 was the pinnacle of JRPGs, but to be honest I found the characters and the plot of BOF3 to be much much more.

And now my true love Final Fantasy Tactics. I loved how you couldn't trust anybody in that game and the politics, intrigue, betrayals and general feeling of helplessness made me love this game. And It was the first game I played where "religion" was the bad guy. I was quite disappointed when I played FFT2 on the GBA....

The Shin Megami Tensei series. Got me interested all sort of folklore and legends. Researching about obscure folklores/horror stories and whatnot has now become of my fav hobbies.

As much as I love the DW series, the lack of the RoTK politics from the games kinda makes it game rather... bland (although DW7 did touch more on the political complications of the era esp in the Jin storyline). DW got me interested in Chinese history. Before that I knew the basics from watching all those TVB dramas of the Qing dynasty (and the occasionally Ming Dynasty) but nothing really in great detail. Now I spend quite alot of time reading about late Han and 3K period history and has also become one of my fav hobbies.

Ironically, because of the influences I got from video games which got me started on the hobbies I mentioned above, I hardly every play games anymore lol (probably one 3-4 days a month).

And Mass Effect is just... wow. I wouldn't it impact me as much as the previously mentioned games but ME is just incredible. I practically use that game as a bench mark for everthing else I play.
Ah-Man
Academic

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:11 pm

Ah-Man wrote:And now my true love Final Fantasy Tactics. I loved how you couldn't trust anybody in that game and the politics, intrigue, betrayals and general feeling of helplessness made me love this game. And It was the first game I played where "religion" was the bad guy.

Final Fantasy Tactics was pretty much that awesome a game.

Have you played Xenogears? I believe I played them both around the same time. Maybe Tactics first, but Xenogears also portrays "religion" as the bad guy as part of the storyline. It seems like many games followed suit afterward i.e. Tales of Symphonia. Actually, I believe Breath of Fire II for SNES had somewhat of a "religion=bad guy" role in the storyline as well. More often than not, it seems like a plug at Catholicism.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby SapphireKirby » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:44 pm

Superman 64. 8-)
"Be vigilant! Be vigilant! If an evil is minor, resist it nonetheless. If a good deed is trifling, perform it all the same. Only wisdom and virtue can truly win men's devotion." - Liu Bei's testament (Chapter 85, p. 1012)
SapphireKirby
Apprentice

Unread postby Jordan » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:22 am

SapphireKirby wrote:Superman 64. 8-)

Did your life spiral downwards from that point on?
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ah-Man » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:18 pm

Zhuanyong wrote:
Ah-Man wrote:And now my true love Final Fantasy Tactics. I loved how you couldn't trust anybody in that game and the politics, intrigue, betrayals and general feeling of helplessness made me love this game. And It was the first game I played where "religion" was the bad guy.

Final Fantasy Tactics was pretty much that awesome a game.

Have you played Xenogears? I believe I played them both around the same time. Maybe Tactics first, but Xenogears also portrays "religion" as the bad guy as part of the storyline. It seems like many games followed suit afterward i.e. Tales of Symphonia. Actually, I believe Breath of Fire II for SNES had somewhat of a "religion=bad guy" role in the storyline as well. More often than not, it seems like a plug at Catholicism.

Sorry for the late reply gents ;)

And YES how could I have forgotten about Xenogears!!!! I loved the entire mythos of this game, even to this day I think theres still some debate on how certain aspects of the game. If I recall it borrowed heavily from Judaism. Was that whole Xenosaga thing suppose to have been part of the mythos?

Breath of Fire 2 was fun, though the characters wern't as memorable as 3. Shame there hasn't been a new installment for over decade.
Ah-Man
Academic

Unread postby MhiHayoli » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:58 pm

Hm... . There are some. Sme really good ones.

Terranigma - Something like this will never be made again. It's the only game I can play over and over again and still it gives me the chill each time. It's full of emotions, like less games these days... .

Dragon Age Origins - It was the first game what gave me the chance to decide my fate in the next game. If I die to save the world, if I walk the pass to darkness or just run through like hell :D It also gave the OC's depth's because each answer we gave shifted the ends anew (and I still didn't have all yet)

Flowers (PS3) - I think there is really no game I could compare with this. It's so moving and unique. It shows the whole dimension of game design and "the touch on the reality" in a total different way.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms - That really had a place in my heart for all eternity. I was faszinated by the asian history before, but that made it even greater! I used to hold presentations about Chinese history and Dshingis Khan at school. I literally spread the love for the Three Kingdoms Story throughout my school XD
"I do not speak to change minds. I do not trust in the sweetening lies you speak with false dignity. I care nothing for your worldly treasures and pity you all for you need them to feel value in life."
-LordBloodySoul-
MhiHayoli
Assistant

Location: I am now traveling with Lord Lu Bu, Tao and Umi Mari in search for a new home base.

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven