What game(s) made the greatest impacts on your life?

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: What game(s) made the greatest impacts on your life?

Unread postby SapphireKirby » Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:14 am

Oh boy. Nostalgia go.

Terranigma
This has always been my favourite game. I used to play it so much as a child, it brightened up my life. The story was so uplifting, but sad at the same time. I lost this game a few years ago. I remembered crying whenever I thought about it. I never did find it, but I bought a new copy online for around 80 Australian dollars.

Super Mario Bros. All Stars
This was the one game that brought my father and I close together. We used to sit there all day (and I mean ALL day) playing through each game. We don't play it much anymore, since he lives in another house, but sometimes when he visits we play it.

Kirby's Fun Pak (Or Kirby Super Star in America)
I remember one day after coming home from school my mother gave me this. This happened to be my first Kirby game and it's still my all time favourite one today. As it was second hand, it always used to erase itself whenever I bumped it or something. I've finished it probably over 9000 times now because of that.
"Be vigilant! Be vigilant! If an evil is minor, resist it nonetheless. If a good deed is trifling, perform it all the same. Only wisdom and virtue can truly win men's devotion." - Liu Bei's testament (Chapter 85, p. 1012)
SapphireKirby
Apprentice

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:07 pm

Easy one, the very first Dragon Warrior for the NES. It was the game that started my video game addiction and led to many nights of late bedtimes or no sleep at all. :mrgreen:

I guess I could validate the WCW vs NWO series on N64 as having an impact seeing as me, my brothers, and friends would spend countless nights beating the 'sprite sparkle out of each other' over and over again. It was the most fun I've ever had gaming.

No other games really had an impact, if one at all, in my life.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kayzr » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:30 pm

A few come to mind, out of the dozens that I've played over the years:

Chrono Trigger.
Dragon Age: Origins.
Final Fantasy IV (Final Fantasy II in the U.S.).
Xenogears.
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.
Starcraft (including the Brood War expansion).
Let us begin with Zeus, whom we mortals never leave unspoken.
For every street, every market-place is full of Zeus.
Even the sea and the harbour are full of this deity.
Everywhere everyone is indebted to Zeus.
For we are indeed his offspring.
Kayzr
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:20 am

Xenogears.

How could I forget Xenogears. It also can be easily rated as one of the greatest games I ever played. It was intricate in the series of games that led to my Squaresoft (now Squareenix) addiction :lol: .

These were my very first Squaresoft games played:
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy Tactics
Brave Fencer Musashi (still got it in mint condition in my closet)
Xenogears
Ehrgeiz (yes, I owned this one as well)

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kayzr » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:52 am

Zhuanyong wrote:
Xenogears.

How could I forget Xenogears. It also can be easily rated as one of the greatest games I ever played. It was intricate in the series of games that led to my Squaresoft (now Squareenix) addiction :lol: .

I bought this game in 1998 and have been in awe of it ever since. Truly, it's one of the all-time great console RPGs.
Kayzr
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kayzr » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:58 am

SapphireKirby wrote:
[b]Kirby's Fun Pak (Or Kirby Super Star in America)[/b]
I remember one day after coming home from school my mother gave me this. This happened to be my first Kirby game and it's still my all time favourite one today. As it was second hand, it always used to erase itself whenever I bumped it or something. I've finished it probably over 9000 times now because of that.

I remember playing some Kirby game on the old Gameboy about 10+ years ago. I was a young un then, I can't even remember the name of the game. :mrgreen:
Kayzr
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:59 pm

Here's some other classic NES games I grew up playing that shaped my gaming atmosphere:

Kung Fu (with the guy named Thomas - side scroller)
Target: Renegade
Ninja Gaiden Series
Contra Series
Double Dragon Series
River City Ransom
Flying Dragon
Bayou Billy Series
Excitebike
Paperboy
Magmax
Donkey Kong Original (My uncles Collecovision)
Zaxxon (My uncles Collecovision)
Mike Tyson's Punchout

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gavaroc Fevinor » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:50 pm

Whoo, first post on this site for me.
Golden Sun
Ahh, the wonderous GBA RPG. Golden Sun introduced me to RPGs and to the wonders of a game with an excellent -storyline.- It cemented my love of well-told plots and distaste for games without compelling stories. Though my favourite standalone game has since changed hands many times, the Golden Sun series remains my favourite RPG series for it's gameplay, storyline and the sheer fact that, from one perspective, every single character is a Mage. XD

Kessen II
Yes, it butchered the story. Yes, Meng Huo looks like the Cowardly Lion. Yes, Sima Yi wears the Leaning Tower of Pisa on his head. But this game has fine gameplay and despite many flaws in the story, contains enough well-portrayed characters to win me over. This game introduced me to the Three Kingdoms, so my view of the saga was VERY misinformed at first. XD However, since re-education, I can examine Kessen II objectively. The character of Cao Cao in particular is portrayed far better here than in Dynasty Warriors, particularly visually. Also, the army colours of Wei and Wu better suit in Kessen than they do in Dynasty Warriors. Finally, any game with Zhuge Liang lobbing five gigantic fireballs into an army deserves the Gavaroc seal of approval. Also, I love the depiction of Pang Tong.

Warcraft III
Anyone who's unaware, before the horrendous online Life-Stealing World of Warcraft there existed a Real Time Strategy series, a game genre wherein you controlled an army and all of its individual soldiers - workers to build buildings wherein soldiers could be trained, varieties of soldiers to fight for you, etc. This game has followed me for years and I often replay it, knowing the story well and knowing how to succeed each battle by rote. Why keep playing it again and again? It's a part of my childhood, and I love it dearly.
Gavaroc Fevinor
Tyro

Unread postby Jordan » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:45 am

Gavaroc, I feel the same way about Kessen 2 almost word for word. Only real difference is it wasn't my first 3k game.

Well since this seems to just be about listing a bunch of games that were highly enjoyable now, I'll throw out some of my favorite series.

Mario-I'm sure there are bigger Mario fans than me but I am a pretty big one. I'd say my favorite Mario games are Super Mario Galaxy 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario 64, Bowser's Inside Story, Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door. In that order.

Mega Man-Both Legends games, X4 and Mega Man 3 are my favorites.

Valkyria Chronicles: Bought a PS3 for the first game. Bought a PSP for the second game. I'd say that makes this series pretty significant to me.

Probably lots of others but those 3 came to mind off the top of my head.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Huang Bob » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:39 am

Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Modern Warfare 2. Not really in a good way, either.
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.
Huang Bob
United Abominations

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven