Final Fantasy Discussion Thread

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread

Unread postby Ah-Man » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:49 pm

Qu Hui wrote:It should be the original, since War of the Lions is only for PSP. Also, don't diss the old translation until you see how completely annoying the new translation is. It's all written in faux-Old English accent, and is just kind of not worth the new translation to have to suffer through i.t

I watched some of the cutscenes on Youtube for War of Lions and I have to admit, I find the faux-Old English accent to be quite charming. Its like reading a play by Shakespeare. I esp liked that new cutscene between Delita and Ovelia and how he promises to build a kingdom worthy of her. I thought it was sweet... too bad we all know how that relationship ended lol

I never played any of the FFT sequels (was there more than one?). How do they compare to the original?
Ah-Man
Academic

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:17 am

Ah-Man wrote:I never played any of the FFT sequels (was there more than one?). How do they compare to the original?

First, they are not sequels, they are part of a different series (Final Fantasy Tactics Advance). :) And second, they don't compare well; they are significantly... different. In my opinion they're much worse, although some people really love them. They don't have the same kind of style/atmosphere, they don't have the same dark, political plot. The first one is more side-questy... I found it more grindy. Still, they're not bad games, just don't go in expecting FFT.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:28 pm

Kong Wen wrote:...dark, political plot. The first one is more side-questy... I found it more grindy.

I concur.

FFT is very much so a grinding side-quest heavy game. In fact, that along with the story and options to advance through the game with job classes keep bringing me back to play it even today. I loved the plot more than most, if not all, FF games.

For me it can be addictive once I start playing it.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lady Wu » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:01 pm

Looking for people who played the GBA remake of FF6.

How do you defeat Gigantuar? I have a group in late level 30s/early 40s and I keep getting pwned by 10,000 Needles. Will I need to grind to some insane level with oodles of HP before I get the Cactuar Magicite? :(
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby Kong Wen » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:39 pm

Lady Wu wrote:Looking for people who played the GBA remake of FF6.

How do you defeat Gigantuar? I have a group in late level 30s/early 40s and I keep getting pwned by 10,000 Needles. Will I need to grind to some insane level with oodles of HP before I get the Cactuar Magicite? :(

Use reraise, keep your characters as close to full hp as possible at all times, try to have someone off the screen when it's about to die. (Jump? Does someone jump in that game? I forget.) When in doubt, grind.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:07 pm

Gave up on 13-2, after a spectacular opening I couldn't get into the story, found the leads a little annoying and eventually got bored with the battle system. I can see what they were trying to do but wasn't for me I guess.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:01 am

I've been playing IX lately. I'm mad at myself for not playing this game more when I bought the first time about 12 years ago. It's possibly one of the best in the series and I enjoyed the characters then, and even more now. I rushed through the game the only time I played it. I had a goal - I can beat this game in a week. And I did... And never played it again until last week.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Korin » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:37 am

Any good Final Fantasy game for the PS3?
Soshi.
Korin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:42 am

Korin wrote:Any good Final Fantasy game for the PS3?

I thought number 13 was pretty good.

It's no Valkyria Chronicles but on the lines of Enchanted Arms, good but not great.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Gurochu » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:46 pm

In the iOS version of Ff1, I maxed out my team of 4 monks at the peninsula of power. Going through the game absolutely destroying everything now. I also have a solo thief run on the second file, I like the two extremes of difficulty in my games I guess.
wow
Gurochu
Tyro

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven