Final Fantasy Discussion Thread

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:57 am

Started Final Fantasy 13 yesterday, finished second chapter. Wish there was a way of viewing cutscenes again that you had already unlocked or replay a battle you won to try and get that 5th star (only wished that once or twice so far, generally getting 5).

Story-line so far being fairly predictable and yet to really get dragged into caring much (subtitles may be too big), being so early the battle system is still too easy to really judge but seems better then last game, voice acting seems erratic. Think it might help if the datalog's event descriptions didn't seem to repeat itself. I love the chocobo and enjoying the cheerful and sweet Vanille, Hope is being a little annoying, rest of the cast I feel meh about.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby hall_of_famer02 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:32 am

I'm currently in the 11th Chapter at Archeylte Steppe grinding my team.
No one can stop the flow of time. But a moment captured in the frame of the heart will never disappear. That will be shown at the bottom of their hearts, and will always give off a great feeling. Sweet...and bitter.
hall_of_famer02
Langzhong

Unread postby Sven » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:27 am

Lordyuanshu wrote:Totally agree with you. As much as I love Final Fantasy Tactics the game got WAY too easy with TG Cid. That's why the first half of the game or so is the most fun imo. Forces you to rely on your own generic-built characters who have the most open-ended growth.

This is probably why I have so many restarts, the game is just so fun at the beginning. I must have played chapter 1-3 50 times by now.
Sven
Tyro

Unread postby SapphireKirby » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:39 am

I'm planning to get FFXIII-2 eventually. Is it worth it, or should I not bother?
"Be vigilant! Be vigilant! If an evil is minor, resist it nonetheless. If a good deed is trifling, perform it all the same. Only wisdom and virtue can truly win men's devotion." - Liu Bei's testament (Chapter 85, p. 1012)
SapphireKirby
Apprentice

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:53 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Wish there was a way of viewing cutscenes again that you had already unlocked

Still wish the same.

Felt 13 was a good game, inferior to FFX but never felt like quitting like I did the last FF game. I grew to like most of the characters fairly quickly though Hope for awhile and Snow for a fair bit were not my cup of tea. I liked that the battle system, never used the summons but did use buffs and anti-buffs quite a bit which was nice, didn't like it so much that I did the monster hunts after finishing the main story as it becomes a grind at points. Though each monster hunt having it's own tale was a lovely touch. The data log being used to flesh the story out did seem wrong to me, side characters were decent but had too little time, some spectacular scenes.

I liked the linear system of the first half. Only dealing with 2/3 characters at a time helped me get to them know them better, to enjoy Sazh, Vanille, Lightening and so on. It meant I got used to using all the characters in battle as well and the early system meant each had their advantages. I have no objection to being eased into the battle system, that was fine by me. I felt the story during these parts had a good pace to it, the emotional stuff was hit and miss but characters built a good rapport, even if that rapport was based on hate. I liked the majority of the characters and even the ones, like the mopey Hope, that I disliked at the time had their good moments and some intresting relations.

Once the group gathers, it is fine for awhile. The linear construct still goes on, it carries most of the strengths of earlier and some of the strengths of later, story keeps going at a good pace. Once it went open-world, or whatever the phrase is, the game became worse for me. Doing so many monster hunts started to become a grind, a feeling I got again near the end, there wasn't much reason to change the battle line-up once I found a good set of characters (Fang, Hope and Lightening) which was a pity in a way. The story loses pace for awhile and even when it picks up, lacks it's old force, perhaps didn't help it going from plot heavy linear stuff to an open world where story comes in smaller doses. The basic idea's are generally good but aren't pulled off anywhere well as one would hope and by the final boss, I had stopped caring about the general plot involving the evil guy, who makes a decent but not great villain and felt a little unsatisfied after the game was over. Serious moments are better done by side characters then by the main group, whenever the party has to do a big emotional moment then they lack punch, sometimes due to some poor lines. Or poorly delivered lines. The need to concentrate on general party with only one or two individuals getting big coverage meant a few characters stories get less time which was disappointing. Thought I thought the game did really well was the group dynamic, it was easy to believe this was a bunch of people fighting together, friendly, teasing helping each other when need be and so on. There was camaraderie and it helped me like Snow.

So overall, nice characters and a good group, had fun but story was lacking for me.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Iain » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:18 am

Still hooked on FF11, and trying to load FF14 on my new computer. I admit I'm still somewhat addicted to Square's games/drugs. :)
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby Iain » Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:54 am

Apparently FFXIV is undergoing a few changes and being re-presented as version 2.0 did anyone here try the game in its rocky start and will the changes being made be enough to help it succeed?

I couldn't find a thread dedicated to 14 so posting here I guess unless a new thread is warranted.
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Unread postby Ah-Man » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:04 pm

The Final Fantasy Tactics on the PSN for the PS3, is it the new updated War of the Lions version or is it the orginal with the horrible translation?
Ah-Man
Academic

Unread postby Qu Hui » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:49 am

Ah-Man wrote:The Final Fantasy Tactics on the PSN for the PS3, is it the new updated War of the Lions version or is it the orginal with the horrible translation?

It should be the original, since War of the Lions is only for PSP. Also, don't diss the old translation until you see how completely annoying the new translation is. It's all written in faux-Old English accent, and is just kind of not worth the new translation to have to suffer through i.t
My avatar is Roy from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, as he appears in Fire Emblem: Awakening
Quote of the "Day": "The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." -Neil Gaiman
Qu Hui
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:15 am

Qu Hui wrote:It's all written in faux-Old English accent, and is just kind of not worth the new translation to have to suffer through i.t

I concur. I didn't mind it myself.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven