Final Fantasy Discussion Thread

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:57 am

Well, I have mixed opinions about FF7. I almost certainly won't buy the re-make (not owning a PS4 or Xbox 1 will do that). I think FF7 is actually pretty good for a while into the game, even after Midgar. The talk at Kalm where Cloud reminisces was well done, and I felt pretty immersed and interested; even on subsequent playthroughs, I like looking to see if I can find details I've missed before. Honestly, I feel like the first disc is great - it builds up nicely, you get the major plot incident at the end, and you have even more reason to hate Sephiroth. Disc 1 ends, and all that's left is a snowboarding mini-game to encounter him at the northern crater. It's great.

And then disc 2 starts. And no-one, especially the player, has any idea what's going on. Eventually disc 2 ends, and all that's left in the main storyline is to head to the northern crater again to kill Sephiroth and end the game. So Disc 3 is also really good, because it's the end of the story. But disc 2 is a mess of BS that's completely impenetrable.

The draw system was interesting in VIII, but more importantly, 8 had the card game, which makes it among the best FF games of all time. That card game was so fun. Even though I didn't completely understand it. :lol:
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:57 am

How dare you slag off FF8, it is one of the greatest JRPGs of all time!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Iain » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:18 pm

Bush Leagues wrote:
The draw system was interesting in VIII, but more importantly, 8 had the card game, which makes it among the best FF games of all time. That card game was so fun. Even though I didn't completely understand it. :lol:

I hated in FF8 how the rules kept changing in that blasted card game, it made me play the game less so I could avoid the constant rule changes. Mind you when you meet that guy far in the future that has all the cards you need, I just thought it was funny.

"So here we are at the end of time cut off from the world as we know it......How about a Game of cards?"
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Previous

Return to Gamers’ Haven