Final Fantasy Discussion Thread

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: Final Fantasy Discussion Thread

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:57 am

Well, I have mixed opinions about FF7. I almost certainly won't buy the re-make (not owning a PS4 or Xbox 1 will do that). I think FF7 is actually pretty good for a while into the game, even after Midgar. The talk at Kalm where Cloud reminisces was well done, and I felt pretty immersed and interested; even on subsequent playthroughs, I like looking to see if I can find details I've missed before. Honestly, I feel like the first disc is great - it builds up nicely, you get the major plot incident at the end, and you have even more reason to hate Sephiroth. Disc 1 ends, and all that's left is a snowboarding mini-game to encounter him at the northern crater. It's great.

And then disc 2 starts. And no-one, especially the player, has any idea what's going on. Eventually disc 2 ends, and all that's left in the main storyline is to head to the northern crater again to kill Sephiroth and end the game. So Disc 3 is also really good, because it's the end of the story. But disc 2 is a mess of BS that's completely impenetrable.

The draw system was interesting in VIII, but more importantly, 8 had the card game, which makes it among the best FF games of all time. That card game was so fun. Even though I didn't completely understand it. :lol:
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:57 am

How dare you slag off FF8, it is one of the greatest JRPGs of all time!
Have a question about a book or academic article before you buy it? Maybe I have it!
Check out my library here for a list of Chinese history resources I have on hand!
Sun Fin
Librarian of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Iain » Sun Jun 05, 2016 6:18 pm

Bush Leagues wrote:
The draw system was interesting in VIII, but more importantly, 8 had the card game, which makes it among the best FF games of all time. That card game was so fun. Even though I didn't completely understand it. :lol:

I hated in FF8 how the rules kept changing in that blasted card game, it made me play the game less so I could avoid the constant rule changes. Mind you when you meet that guy far in the future that has all the cards you need, I just thought it was funny.

"So here we are at the end of time cut off from the world as we know it......How about a Game of cards?"
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

Previous

Return to Gamers’ Haven