Game Purchase Advice Thread

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Game Purchase Advice Thread

Unread postby Stuart » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:48 pm

Need help deciding which game to purchase next? Ask for it in here, and our panel of SoSZ experts will give you their expert opinion.

Edit: This thread is for people who want advice purchasing a game. Post questions like "Which is better 'x', 'y' or 'z'?" or "i saw 'x' in the the shop last week, what do you think of it?"
Last edited by Stuart on Mon Dec 08, 2003 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stuart
The Shining One

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:39 am

Alright folks, I'll christen this new thread:

Final Fantasy 7 (PSX) vs. Kingdom Hearts (PS2)

I have already played FF7 through a few times. I used to own it but then I traded it in on some new game (I forget which). Anyway, I haven't played it in a few years... probably 4-5 years now, come to think of it, but I know I liked it a lot.

I have never played Kingdom Hearts, but, from what I heard, it might not be my cup of tea. I generally don't prefer action-RPGs/adventure games where there is a lot of jumping, climbing, etc.

So I guess it all comes down to Tested and True vs. Expand My Horizons? I can get either of them for cheap, since they're both greatest hits and Christmas is coming.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Jon » Mon Dec 08, 2003 3:56 am

Final Fantasy 7. It's a wonderful game, great story, interesting characters, minus the graphics. They give brief histories for all of the characters, even Yuffie and Vincent, who are optional. The game is filled with death and tragedy, but funny moments to balance it out.

I haven't even played Kingdom Hearts, I doubt I'd like it either. I'm just biased against Disney and Disney accessories.

You have my royal opinion. Go get the game.
Jon
Ladies' Man

Unread postby Wen Choung » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:34 am

Hmm...not really a tough choice given my reasons. Final Fantasy VII. Then Kingdom Hearts. Because, basically, the almost the whole video game world has been alluded to or influenced by FF7. (Ironically, look at Kingdom Hearts!) I mean, how many gamers do not know of the names Cloud Strife, Sephiroth, or Aeris?

I think it'd be difficult for any gamer to progress in this generation of gaming without at least knowing the FF7 storyline and characters.
Wen Choung
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:36 am

Wen Choung wrote:I think it'd be difficult for any gamer to progress in this generation of gaming without at least knowing the FF7 storyline and characters.

That's what makes my situation unique. I used to own FF7, and I've played through it a few times already. I am only considering getting it again because I've had a jonesing to play around with the Materia system again.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby English_Druid » Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:25 pm

I would choose FF7 as the better game, Kingdom Hearts was a big let down to me. The Disney element of the game can get very annoying, and forced me into never completing the game.
If you feel that you can still play FF7 and get enjoyment from it (Which I can) then I suggest you buy that. KH was quite a simply game, and the story was tedious and predictable.

BTW congrats on your new position :wink:

Ok I need some help. I saw a LOTR game called The Ring Wars in the shops the other day, it was the first Id heard of it land it looked like my sort of game. Has anyone here played the game, and if so can you tell me what you thought of it?
But no one dies in the right place
Or in the right hour
And everyone dies sooner than his time
And before he reaches home.
English_Druid
Scholar of Ying Guo

Unread postby Emily » Mon Dec 08, 2003 2:39 pm

English_Druid wrote:Ok I need some help. I saw a LOTR game called The Ring Wars in the shops the other day, it was the first Id heard of it land it looked like my sort of game. Has anyone here played the game, and if so can you tell me what you thought of it?

Sierra's War of the Ring is a real-time strategy game- like the Warcraft series- but it's set in Middle Earth. Here's the official site:

http://www.warofthering.com/

Unfortunately, I haven't yet been able to play it (as I didn't even realize that it was out already), so I can't help you there.
"The person who knows how to laugh at himself will never cease to be amused." --Shirley Maclaine
Emily
Texas Tornado

Unread postby Li Ruiyue » Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:08 pm

I'm deciding if I should get Crash Team Racing-Nitro Cart for the PS2.
I've played the original, and I really enjoyed it. I haven't as much time to play on my PS2 at the moment, but I was thinking of getting Nitro Cart for next Jan/Feb time.
Could someone please advise me if I should bother in getting this game?
Thanks!
Li Ruiyue
Innocent Soul

Unread postby Marc » Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:41 pm

okay I could also use some help. I can't decide bewtween the two to buy, since I only have 40 pounds:

Jak 2: Renegade or Ratchet & Clank 2?

I loved both the originals but I'm short on cash.
Roses are red, violets are blue,
Omae wa mo shindeiru
Marc
Robot In Disguise
Robot In Disguise

Unread postby Stuart » Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:03 pm

Li Ruiyue wrote:I'm deciding if I should get Crash Team Racing-Nitro Cart for the PS2.
I've played the original, and I really enjoyed it. I haven't as much time to play on my PS2 at the moment, but I was thinking of getting Nitro Cart for next Jan/Feb time.
Could someone please advise me if I should bother in getting this game?
Thanks!

I just took this back to the video shop, and i found it disapointing. It's exactly the same as the original with a few of the details changed. There isn't even an increased number of characters and stages, and the adventure mode seems to have got shorter

zhuge marc wrote:okay I could also use some help. I can't decide bewtween the two to buy, since I only have 40 pounds:

Jak 2: Renegade or Ratchet & Clank 2?

I loved both the originals but I'm short on cash.

From what i've read in magazines and heard at school R&C:2 seems to be a disapointing sequel, with not many differences. I would go for Jak 2, i was playing it in a shop the other day, and it looks like great fun.

Kong Zhengshu wrote:Final Fantasy 7 (PSX) vs. Kingdom Hearts (PS2)

I have already played FF7 through a few times. I used to own it but then I traded it in on some new game (I forget which). Anyway, I haven't played it in a few years... probably 4-5 years now, come to think of it, but I know I liked it a lot.

I have never played Kingdom Hearts, but, from what I heard, it might not be my cup of tea. I generally don't prefer action-RPGs/adventure games where there is a lot of jumping, climbing, etc.

This is a tough one. FF7 is by far the better game, but i find that when you have completed RPG's a few times, they tend to get very boring and tedious. Kingdom Hearts is also a very good game, but it's nutty style is not quite every ones cup of tea.
Stuart
The Shining One

Next

Return to Gamers’ Haven