Game Purchase Advice Thread

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Unread postby Exar Kun » Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:29 pm

Jiang Wenming wrote:I need advice.

DW4:XL and a used copy of DW3(my old copy was stolen[50 together]).

or

RPG Maker 2. (50, probably)

Rather, is there anything better I could get that you might suggest?

Get the DW set.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby SilverKey » Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:16 pm

Dont Get RPG maker 2. I read a review for it and they said it was terrible
SilverKey
Student

Unread postby Dragon » Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:01 am

RPG maker 2 is not really a game. I bought and like it but I haven't reallly played it much. It's not that I don't want to but because it is VERY difficulty to play. Creating your own game takes a lot of effort due to the fact of the games system. If however you have the time, and pacients along with the itch to make your own game, then it isn't a bad purchase.
My power is stronger then any you will ever see.
Dragon
Sage

Unread postby Lady Lazarus » Fri Jan 23, 2004 7:58 am

*sigh* It's just so hard to choose when so many games are out these days...

1. Chaos Legion V.S Castlevania
2. Unlimited SaGa V.S Xenosaga

Any recommendations?
Formerly Zhao_Yun Lover
Lady Lazarus
Langzhong

Unread postby Alucard » Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:20 am

Lady Lazarus wrote:*sigh* It's just so hard to choose when so many games are out these days...

1. Chaos Legion V.S Castlevania
2. Unlimited SaGa V.S Xenosaga

Any recommendations?

1. Castlevania
2. Xenosaga. I heard Unlimited SaGa isn't the best.
I don't regret the decision I made that day. Even now. But...my heart still aches. I..I want to follow my heart. Whether it is right or wrong will be judged by history. - Pahn
Alucard
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: In a house where I open a door and another door appears.

Unread postby Ts'ao Jian » Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:40 pm

I rented Unlimited Saga once, and could not figure out how to do anything in a mission. Xenosaga (also rented) has easy to figure out controls, andis (technically) the prequel to Xenogears ( one of the best PS games I have ever played). Go with Xenosaga.
Now heroes are men who cherish lofty designs in their bosoms and have plans to achieve them; they have all-embracing schemes, and the whole world is at their mercy. -Ts'ao Ts'ao

Hell is other people. -Tagline of No Exit
Ts'ao Jian
Langzhong

Unread postby Ranbir » Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:09 pm

Yes, Xenosaga....

People have slashed Square..(well Square-Enix now) for creating another sequel for the "Romancing Saga" series...considering how they first two were reviewed as really poor.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Cao Ren » Sun Jan 25, 2004 9:06 pm

Definately get Castlevania. Chaos Legion was plain out terrible. As for the other one both RPGs were horrible imo, but Xenosaga was better so go with that...
Cao Ren
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby animetayl » Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:02 am

Wild-Eyes wrote:Okay, opinion time!

I am (unless my parents are horrible liars) getting a PS2 (at last!) for Christmas this year. The only game I am really asking for is DW4; I will be getting RTK7 (yes, not 8) from Andy, and I can get a few games on loan from him as well (such as FFX, etc.) Disgaea is a major consideration, but finding it and the rumor of its high price will likely not be a good selling point on it.

I haven't been asked, but I'm fairly confident my parents will want to know what other game I'd like to get. I'm an RPG person, and I like good horror games. Any current market recommendations?

Two words. Get Disgaea. The game is limitless. For good RPGs on the PS2, These are what I'd recommend. FFX (better for you to buy it yourself rather than loan. You'll like it), Arc the Lad: ToTS, Star Ocean 3 (not out yet, but it's going to be great!) , Wild Arms 3, Dark Cloud 2, and Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (one of the best games I've played for PS2).
Don't know any horror games. Don't play them.

I'd also like to ask opinions about Chaos Legion, but I'm skeptical that it will be too short and monotonous. For anyone who's played it, is it a worthwhile buy for someone who likes Dynasty Warriors?

Lady Lazarus, don't consider getting Unlimited Saga. I've never played it, but I've played the other games of the Saga series, and they are.... strange and pointless is the words I can use to describe them. Also, all of the game review sites have given it bad reviews. I know that you can't base everything off of them, but usually what happens is if enough sites give a game a bad review, you can pretty much stay away from it and be happy with your decision. Xenosaga is an enjoyable game so far (haven't played very far into it, but it's easy to understand, storyline is enjoyable, and it looks great).
animetayl
Sky Bandit

Unread postby Iain » Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:38 pm

Xenosaga is a very enjoyable game with many hours of adventure within, plus the game is now finally a 'greatest hits' release so at the reduced price and with the sequel coming out later this year(Xenosaga Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Bose) it is a very good purchase.

Plus with Xenosaga, I think the data can be transferred over to the sequel to add to your continued game experience.
Iain
Lord of Nanchang

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven