Game Purchase Advice Thread

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: Game Purchase Advice Thread

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:55 pm

Little bit late in the game, but how much replay value does Dragon Age II have? (Note: havent played DA1).
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:57 pm

Very little.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Mikhail » Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:52 am

It's very linear. There are a few choices that you make but doesn't really make much of a difference in things. The only reason to play again is if youre playing for like trophies/achievements.
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby Jordan » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:36 pm

Fallout [1] is free on GOG.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/fallout
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:58 am

Jordan wrote:Fallout [1] is free on GOG.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/fallout

Anyone who doesn't have it should take this deal up; I've had pretty much since it came out and it never got stale.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ah-Man » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:23 pm

Jordan wrote:
Ah-Man wrote:I was thinking of getting Blade Storm since it selling for like $12 at our local EB. Is the game worth it? I read few descriptions of the game play but still don't have much idea on who I control and what not. They just say you play as a mercenary, so do I get to create my own character like Empires series or do I just control a generic no name peon?

It's awful. It's basically just Dynasty Warriors except you control a unit instead of just your mercenary. The levels are pretty dull and what you do has barely any effect on the war at all, even if you take every single checkpoint on a map. There is really no strategy at play other than simple rock-paper-scissors. Even this can be negated by the DW-esque gameplay. I remember this game being a massive disappointment for me. I guess if you like Dynasty Warriors, you might like it. Otherwise steer clear.

I do enjoy DW games a bit, but never in large chunks (I get bored after a week or so of playing). I usually just play to watch all the stories and get all the characters, but I don't think Ive ever "Completed" a game yet, so I guess I'll steer clear or Blade Storm then.

Are there any good horror games out? Not Zombie games, I just don't find zombies frightening. What I'm looking ofr is something that keeps you up at night in league of the old Silent Hill and Fatal Frame games.
Ah-Man
Academic

Unread postby Qu Hui » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:58 pm

Ah-Man wrote:Are there any good horror games out? Not Zombie games, I just don't find zombies frightening. What I'm looking ofr is something that keeps you up at night in league of the old Silent Hill and Fatal Frame games.

The freeware game Yume Nikki and the games based off of it (such as .flow) are quite scary, and will most likely destroy any chances you have of sleeping the night after you play them.
My avatar is Roy from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, as he appears in Fire Emblem: Awakening
Quote of the "Day": "The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." -Neil Gaiman
Qu Hui
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Chao » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:23 pm

Pyramid Head!

Have you played Dead Space 1/2?
曹操曰:宁教我负天下人,休教天下人负我!
Cao Chao
Langzhong

Unread postby Ayame » Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:08 am

I am really liking the Samurai Warriors game for PSP.
How are the Warriors Orochi games in comparison, would they be worth buying?
Ayame
Academic

Unread postby Ah-Man » Tue Jun 19, 2012 2:01 pm

Qu Hui wrote:
Ah-Man wrote:Are there any good horror games out? Not Zombie games, I just don't find zombies frightening. What I'm looking ofr is something that keeps you up at night in league of the old Silent Hill and Fatal Frame games.

The freeware game Yume Nikki and the games based off of it (such as .flow) are quite scary, and will most likely destroy any chances you have of sleeping the night after you play them.

Thanks for the recommendation Qu Hui, I downloaded the Yume Nikki but.... it wasn't what I was expecting. It didn't seem scary, just... weird like I was on acid or something. Maybe its too deep or abstract in its fear lol

Cao Chao wrote:Pyramid Head!

Have you played Dead Space 1/2?

LOVE PYRAMID HEAD!!!!! I still think the first 3 Silent Hill games + Fatal Frame 2 was the epitome of Japanese Horror games. I got a PS3 just a few months ago and when I tried to go shopping for games, I sorta noticed that no one makes survival horror games anymore. It's mostly action horror games :(

Yeah I heard about Dead Space and how freaky it is, but isn't it about space monster/zombies?
Ah-Man
Academic

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven