Game Purchase Advice Thread

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: Game Purchase Advice Thread

Unread postby Ranbir » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:51 pm

I don't.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Mikhail » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:08 pm

Warhammer 40K: Space Marine, yay or nay?

Its on sale for 30 today at EB and I'm not sure if that's a good price. How's the length and story of it? Or can I just wait a little longer?
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:50 pm

Mikhail wrote:Warhammer 40K: Space Marine, yay or nay?

Its on sale for 30 today at EB and I'm not sure if that's a good price. How's the length and story of it? Or can I just wait a little longer?

Oh god yes. The combat is the best in any game i've ever played. As a CoD vet you may find the multiplayer rudimentary, but you might at least get a kick out of the new Exterminatus mode. Dunno which platform you were leaning towards but i've heard one person say the PC version is the more worthwhile.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:56 pm

Single player gets boring, repetitive. The combat lacks variety and you'll really just be hitting a few to get that 'death move' to recharge your hp.

The multi-player is where it is at for the game.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby rcsha » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:11 am

I'm looking for a game that is either set in an office building or that may have a setting in an office building.

I'm attempting some Machinima and one of my ideas is a workplace-based storyline. I'd like to avoid using the Sims for various reasons.

If I had any modding skills, I'd just use Mount&Blade and make a faux-mod to faciliate whatever I needed...but alas, I'm a programming idiot (and Python hates me).

So any ideas for a game that has a setting in an office building? Of course character customization is a must to faciliate the machinima needs, too.

Another project I was considering is a story involving a mercenary, particularly the differences between his home life and his work life experiences. I need him to have down-time places, like a safe house or such to work from (for the home life) and be able to have character customization of some sort. I know that Alpha Protocol will never live up to the hype that it garnered (at least when I first read the article announcing it a few years back in EGM), but is it good enough to suit my needs? Or at least good enough to drop a few dollars on a copy and, even if I can't use it for the machinima?

Thanks.

Edit: I can get a copy of Alpha Protocol for about $6.00, new condition. Do you think it's worth that much, eh?
rcsha
Ao Kaio Nankou

Unread postby Ranbir » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:07 am

Get Garry's Mod. You can Machinima anything you want. Portal has a lot of office levels/assets you can use with it immediately.
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Ah-Man » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:04 am

I was thinking of getting Blade Storm since it selling for like $12 at our local EB. Is the game worth it? I read few descriptions of the game play but still don't have much idea on who I control and what not. They just say you play as a mercenary, so do I get to create my own character like Empires series or do I just control a generic no name peon?
Ah-Man
Academic

Unread postby SapphireKirby » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:49 am

Koei is bringing out so many games that I want, but I'm not entirely sure. :|

I know I'm definitely getting RTK12, even if it doesn't come out in English. It's just one of those games that someone like me needs to have, you know?

But, I'm asking about things like Warriors Orochi 3, Dynasty Warriors vs. and such.

Incidentally, I don't have Dynasty Warriors 7: Xtreme Legends yet.

Are they worth it, or am I just paying for the same things I already have?
"Be vigilant! Be vigilant! If an evil is minor, resist it nonetheless. If a good deed is trifling, perform it all the same. Only wisdom and virtue can truly win men's devotion." - Liu Bei's testament (Chapter 85, p. 1012)
SapphireKirby
Apprentice

Unread postby Jordan » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:22 am

Ah-Man wrote:I was thinking of getting Blade Storm since it selling for like $12 at our local EB. Is the game worth it? I read few descriptions of the game play but still don't have much idea on who I control and what not. They just say you play as a mercenary, so do I get to create my own character like Empires series or do I just control a generic no name peon?

It's awful. It's basically just Dynasty Warriors except you control a unit instead of just your mercenary. The levels are pretty dull and what you do has barely any effect on the war at all, even if you take every single checkpoint on a map. There is really no strategy at play other than simple rock-paper-scissors. Even this can be negated by the DW-esque gameplay. I remember this game being a massive disappointment for me. I guess if you like Dynasty Warriors, you might like it. Otherwise steer clear.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Cao Hong 14 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:51 pm

well to answer your questions about Warriors Orochi 3 and Dynasty Warriors VS it really just depends. If you've ever played a Dynasty Warriors game then you know basically what to expect, so if you don't care very much for previous installments then stay clear but if you like it then go ahead and buy them. I personally love Warriors Orochi 3. Its tons of fun, but I'm saying that because I for one love Dynasty Warriors and can never get enough of it.
"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future. "
- President John F. Kennedy
Cao Hong 14
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven