Game Purchase Advice Thread

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Unread postby Rhiannon » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:56 am

Okay, opinion time!

I am (unless my parents are horrible liars) getting a PS2 (at last!) for Christmas this year. The only game I am really asking for is DW4; I will be getting RTK7 (yes, not 8) from Andy, and I can get a few games on loan from him as well (such as FFX, etc.) Disgaea is a major consideration, but finding it and the rumor of its high price will likely not be a good selling point on it.

I haven't been asked, but I'm fairly confident my parents will want to know what other game I'd like to get. I'm an RPG person, and I like good horror games. Any current market recommendations?
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Alucard » Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:37 am

Wild-Eyes wrote:I haven't been asked, but I'm fairly confident my parents will want to know what other game I'd like to get. I'm an RPG person, and I like good horror games. Any current market recommendations?

For a RPG I recommend Suikoden III. For a good horror game I recommend Fatal Frame 2 or 1 if you can find it and Silent Hill 3.
I don't regret the decision I made that day. Even now. But...my heart still aches. I..I want to follow my heart. Whether it is right or wrong will be judged by history. - Pahn
Alucard
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: In a house where I open a door and another door appears.

Unread postby Solid Raven » Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:29 pm

RPG: Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance ( II )
Horror: Silent Hill 3 ( or SH2 )
"Kept you waiting, huh?"
Solid Raven
Scholar

Unread postby Exar Kun » Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:56 am

Wild-Eyes wrote:Okay, opinion time!

I am (unless my parents are horrible liars) getting a PS2 (at last!) for Christmas this year. The only game I am really asking for is DW4; I will be getting RTK7 (yes, not 8) from Andy, and I can get a few games on loan from him as well (such as FFX, etc.) Disgaea is a major consideration, but finding it and the rumor of its high price will likely not be a good selling point on it.

I haven't been asked, but I'm fairly confident my parents will want to know what other game I'd like to get. I'm an RPG person, and I like good horror games. Any current market recommendations?

*ahem*
Time to suck up to the admin.

As far as horror games go,there's really only one choice from where I see,Silent Hill.The newest installment is Silent Hill 3.You ought to take a look at some reviews of it though before you buy.I suggest searching it on gamefaqs and looking at the reader reviews.They'll better give you a player's perspective rather than an overall industry view.

For RPGs,aside from FFX,there is of course the recently released FFX-2.Xenosaga is another great choice.It's long but however the game has many many many long cutscenes.You may or may not enjoy this.
Suikoden 3 is of course an excellent choice.The latest installment of games that use their premise from Outlaws of the Marsh it's an excellent game though unless you're a series fan you could go better.
There are some more niche games you might want to check like Arc the Lad or Wild Arms but those games I listed are the cream of the crop.

If you really want great RPGs though,the PS2 backward compatibility will serve you well.Two games ecpecially Chrono Cross and Xenogears and among the finest RPGs ever made and it's hard for any next gen RPG to match them for excellence.

If you have more questions just ask.After 13 years of gaming all this knowledge might as well be put to use.
"Two there should be; no more, no less.
One to embody the power, the other to crave it."
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby Davey Vengeance » Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:38 am

For a Roleplay I recommend Final Fantasy 10, Wild Arms 3 or Shadow Hearts all brilliant games and of course Suikoden 3 (I will not ever play it probably).

For Horror the silent hill PS2 installments are good, Resident Evil code veronica x and a game which is coming out in the future here in the UK called something like Forbidden Siren (A grizzly horror from the silent hill maker where you gain the ability to see through the eyes of a killer meaning you could watch a axe swinging maniac as he charges towards you character...........and see you demise).
Forever X

Like Suikoden? Like RPing?
Then please come and join us at CASTLE NORTH WIND
Say Belcoot sent you...see you there. :)
Davey Vengeance
Scholar of Darkness

Unread postby Rhiannon » Sun Dec 14, 2003 1:48 am

Hmm... good recommendations (and kinda what I figured).

I do have Suikoden I and II (I haven't played either yet), would you recommend me getting III and then playing the series? or not?

...hmm. What's Baldur's Gate: DA like? I did love the BG games, so...
"For us to have self-esteem is truly an act of revolution and our revolution is long overdue."
— Margaret Cho
Rhiannon
Joy & Oblivion
Joy & Oblivion

Unread postby Alucard » Sun Dec 14, 2003 2:08 am

Wild-Eyes wrote:I do have Suikoden I and II (I haven't played either yet), would you recommend me getting III and then playing the series? or not?

I would recommend playing Suikoden I and II first and then getting the third. By playing I and II you can get the background of characters and plot.
I don't regret the decision I made that day. Even now. But...my heart still aches. I..I want to follow my heart. Whether it is right or wrong will be judged by history. - Pahn
Alucard
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Location: In a house where I open a door and another door appears.

Unread postby Exar Kun » Mon Dec 15, 2003 12:14 am

I agree.
Play the 1st two before.You don't HAVE to do it because there's nothing that really carries directly over into the other games so you won't be confused about anything on the main storyline,only odds and ends about individual characters(rarely).

The main reason to play them in order though is due to the bonuses you can get.In Suiko 2 you get a bonus if you load your Suiko 1 save that's right before the final boss.In Suiko 3 you get a lesser but still cool bonus if you do the same though this time the bonus stacks i.e. you get one bonus if you just loaded a straight suiko 2 save and you get a second for loading a suiko 2 save that had a uiko 1 save loaded into it at the start.

I'm rambling now so I'll stop.
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

Unread postby GLUEMAN » Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:58 am

Should I get Virtua Fighter 4:EVO or should I get Tony Hawk's Underground ? I mean, Virtua Fighter is like one of my favorite games
and its only 19.99, but Tony Hawk's Underground is another one
of my favorite games, which one should I get ?
GLUEMAN
Scholar

Unread postby Exar Kun » Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:03 am

GLUEMAN wrote:Should I get Virtua Fighter 4:EVO or should I get Tony Hawk's Underground ? I mean, Virtua Fighter is like one of my favorite games
and its only 19.99, but Tony Hawk's Underground is another one
of my favorite games, which one should I get ?

I not a VF fan but if you like it then get it.It's cheap and it has lots of value for a hardcore fan.Especially if you have friends to play it with.
Tony Hawk is supposed to be the best of the series but even that can't contest a fav game series.
-Creed of the New Sith-
Exar Kun
Dark Lord of the Sith

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven