Game Purchase Advice Thread

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: Game Purchase Advice Thread

Unread postby Aygor » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:35 am

Dong Zhou wrote:I'm not a huge fan of Ico so wondering if I should bother playing Shadow of the Colossus or just to trade in the Ico collection? Is the second game similar to the first or very different?

I have never played Ico, but I recall that the creators said that these two games are supposed to give to the player the same feeling, so if you disliked Ico you probably won't enjoy Shadow of the Colossus very much.
Still, Shadow of the Colossus is definitely a game worth checking out, and I'd suggest you to give it a shot.
I think that an online review might give you much better insight than I can about the game itself, still it's worth saying that the greatness of this game lies in the little details one might not actually notice at first, that allow it to create, rather than a plot, an emotional background to the game.
分久必合,合久必分
Ἀτύφως μὲν λαβεῖν, εὐλύτως δὲ ἀφεῖναι
Aygor
Langzhong

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon May 20, 2013 7:08 am

Got a question about the PS3 version of Bioshock Infinite. In recent months, the price on amazon has come tumbling back down faster then would be expected and the PS3 version trade in price is lower then X-Box's. Is something wrong with the PS3 version?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Mitsunari » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:38 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Got a question about the PS3 version of Bioshock Infinite. In recent months, the price on amazon has come tumbling back down faster then would be expected and the PS3 version trade in price is lower then X-Box's. Is something wrong with the PS3 version?

I've noticed that with a few newer titles, not just Bioshock...pre-owned, the PS3 versions are invariably cheaper than the 360's. Maybe it's my imagination, but game prices generally appear to be dropping.

I very nearly bought Resident Evil Revelations the other day, it's an instinctive urge for me with Resi titles despite their decline in recent years...I resisted and didn't buy it, but has anyone here played it yet? If so, is it worth getting?
''Even through the darkest of days, this fire burns, always...''
Mitsunari
Akaoni of the Red Fire Unit

Location: Facing the hoardes of Darkness, with a sword in my hand and a fire in my heart...

Unread postby Human5 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:50 pm

Can anybody rank the following games for me? I might buy some of them, because I suddenly got a craving for FPS multiplayer games.

Counter Strike Global Offensive
Call of Duty MW2 or Black Ops 1
Battlefield Bad Company 2
Human5
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:53 pm

Human5 wrote:Can anybody rank the following games for me? I might buy some of them, because I suddenly got a craving for FPS multiplayer games.

Counter Strike Global Offensive
Call of Duty MW2 or Black Ops 1
Battlefield Bad Company 2

I've only played the CS:GO. Obviously, it's competent and it has a die-hard, devoted fanbase that'll be playing the game for years to come. Can't say the same about the CoD or Blops communities. I mean, I'm sure they have large devoted groups as well, but they tend to move onto the latest and greatest when they're released, whereas Valve shooter folks tend to stick with their games forever.

You can snag CS:GO for cheap on Steam if you can be patient enough for a sale, but it sounds like you have the fever and you want to quench it now. :)
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:07 pm

I love Metal Gear series but should I bother with Metal Gear Rising? I never had an issue with Raven but how is the story and isn't it very much Bayonetta (which I didn't enjoy) combat?

Belated thanks to Mitsunari :oops:
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Human5 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:21 pm

Kong Wen wrote:
I've only played the CS:GO. Obviously, it's competent and it has a die-hard, devoted fanbase that'll be playing the game for years to come. Can't say the same about the CoD or Blops communities. I mean, I'm sure they have large devoted groups as well, but they tend to move onto the latest and greatest when they're released, whereas Valve shooter folks tend to stick with their games forever.

Finally bought the game on Steam for 3.74$.
Human5
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:50 pm

Had a question about getting another WRPG.

I really enjoy playing D&D system games, so I was wondering what the best ones are in that category. Generally, I know about BioWare and Obsidian games - the KotOR series, Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment. Are there any others which have similarly stellar storytelling and similar mechanics?

Alternatively, are there any good White Wolf system WRPGs besides Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines?
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

Unread postby Kong Wen » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:25 pm

WeiWenDi wrote:Had a question about getting another WRPG.

I really enjoy playing D&D system games, so I was wondering what the best ones are in that category. Generally, I know about BioWare and Obsidian games - the KotOR series, Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment. Are there any others which have similarly stellar storytelling and similar mechanics?

Baldur's Gate and its PC sequel, as well as Planescape, are the best of the subgenre. The rest of the D&D games with similar mechanics can be patchy. Whether you'll enjoy them really depends on which aspects of the game/style provide you with entertainment-pleasures. I thought the Icewind Dale games were tolerable enough, but they didn't measure up to the aforementioned gems.

If you're not stuck on D&D mechanics, you could try Fallout 1 & 2. The Dragon Age games may also be an option.

If you want more D&D but aren't stuck on the isometric perspective / engine, you could explore the old SSI gold box series, which are probably my all-time favourite D&D-based games.
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby WeiWenDi » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:42 am

Kong Wen wrote:Baldur's Gate and its PC sequel, as well as Planescape, are the best of the subgenre. The rest of the D&D games with similar mechanics can be patchy. Whether you'll enjoy them really depends on which aspects of the game/style provide you with entertainment-pleasures. I thought the Icewind Dale games were tolerable enough, but they didn't measure up to the aforementioned gems.

If you're not stuck on D&D mechanics, you could try Fallout 1 & 2. The Dragon Age games may also be an option.

If you want more D&D but aren't stuck on the isometric perspective / engine, you could explore the old SSI gold box series, which are probably my all-time favourite D&D-based games.

Fallout, Fallout 2 and Fallout 3 are all amazing games! I still have a particular love for the first one overall, though.

I'll check out Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate II, though. Thanks much!
Some more blood, Chekov. The needle won't hurt, Chekov. Take off your shirt, Chekov. Roll over, Chekov. Breathe deeply, Chekov. Blood sample, Chekov! Marrow sample, Chekov! Skin sample, Chekov! If I live long enough... I'm going to run out of samples.
WeiWenDi
Hedgehog Emperor

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven