Game Purchase Advice Thread

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: Game Purchase Advice Thread

Unread postby Human5 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:25 am

If you havent played Bioshock, you can get the game as well as a few others for only 1$ on humblebundle. PC only.

EDIT: The event is over.
Last edited by Human5 on Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Human5
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:28 pm

Just curious for those that have played, how co-op is Dark Souls II's co-op? What I've read about the time-limits seems troubling, and does the non-host player level/gain anything for helping the friend?
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DragonAtma » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:35 pm

I think I'm going to take the plunge and get a Wii U. Recommend some games, along with reasons!

Do keep in mind that I'm not big on remakes (and yes, I already have Wind Waker for the GC).
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shozuhn » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:44 am

I've decided that I should get a new game. I have a few options in mind. I seek advice from anyone who might have played any of these games and can tell me about them.

1) Legend of Korra
I know nothing about the Avatar cartoon series. But the moment I saw that it had a black female lead, I grew interested in it. I saw one of my favorite video game personalities (Maximillion Dood on Twitch) play it; and he said it was good for just being a 15$ game. Anyone here played it? Will my lack of knowledge of the Avatar universe hinder my enjoyment of it?

2) Samurai Warriors... (Ithink it's 3... maybe 4... Idk... whatever the new one is, lol)
I've never played any of the SW games. But I do love Warriors Orochi 3. And this game has a 2 character swap set-up that sounds similar to WO3's three character swapping. Any advice on this game's quality?

3) Assassins Creed: Liberation
Once again, a series I've never tried. My main fear here is that never having played any AC games before, it might go over my head. I remember trying Tekken Revolution, and that game basically assumes you already know how to play Tekken. It has no tutorial or anything to help you learn. And I'd rather avoid any games that are further into a series and take a "you should already know how to play these games if you bought this one" stance. So is Liberation a good one to start on? (Once again, another black female lead. We're finally getting some solid representation in entertainment media !!)
Shozuhn
Initiate

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:15 pm

Shozuhn wrote:I've decided that I should get a new game. I have a few options in mind. I seek advice from anyone who might have played any of these games and can tell me about them.

1) Legend of Korra
I know nothing about the Avatar cartoon series. But the moment I saw that it had a black female lead, I grew interested in it. I saw one of my favorite video game personalities (Maximillion Dood on Twitch) play it; and he said it was good for just being a 15$ game. Anyone here played it? Will my lack of knowledge of the Avatar universe hinder my enjoyment of it?

Just for what its worth, unless there's a different lead character now I don't know about, Korra isn't black. I'm not sure I've seen any black characters in the universe, now that you bring that up. To your inquiry though a friend of mine picked it up and said it was an enjoyable arcade game the first playthrough.
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shozuhn » Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:36 am

I suppose I assumed her gender based off two factors.
First being that she is clearly not white. Image
Second being that I remember people in the Twitch chat during Max's play thru of the game were using racist jokes. I don't even bother having the chats open while watching streams on Twitch most of the time, because I know that people say WAAY too many mean and hurtful things in those chats. But I know these things were being said because Max actually saw it in his chat and took a moment to say it was inappropriate and needed to stop.
Regardless, just to see a minority female given the lead role in a very popular thing like Avatar is very refreshing to me.
Shozuhn
Initiate

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:11 am

Shozuhn wrote:I suppose I assumed her gender based off two factors.

Well you got her gender correct, as she is female.

First being that she is clearly not white. Image
Second being that I remember people in the Twitch chat during Max's play thru of the game were using racist jokes. I don't even bother having the chats open while watching streams on Twitch most of the time, because I know that people say WAAY too many mean and hurtful things in those chats. But I know these things were being said because Max actually saw it in his chat and took a moment to say it was inappropriate and needed to stop.
Regardless, just to see a minority female given the lead role in a very popular thing like Avatar is very refreshing to me.

Well, I won't split hairs over the race of the new Avatar. I don't agree she is clearly not white, as she has many features which one could easily say are 'white' 'European' or 'western'. However, she could easily resemble some other light skinned race. To be honest, I think we're focusing too much on race when race isn't a factor for the creators/universe. Unless I'm misremembering something I think the majority of the individuals in both Avatar series are fairly homogenous and are delineated based on tribal affiliation. Either way, I like female leads too!
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:11 pm

Thinking about buying Blood Bowl 2. I played Chaos League back in the day is this game similar to that?
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:57 am

Hands of Fate sounds intresting, heard the narrator is really amusing and it is a fun adventure, but without a demo not sure if to get it as card games are not my thing. Anyone played it?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:43 pm

On PSN, when a game goes on sale, do the upgraded stuff (ultimate editions and so on) also go on sale or just the main game?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Previous

Return to Gamers’ Haven