Favourite sport?

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: Favourite sport?

Unread postby Shen Ai » Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:55 am

Dong Zhou wrote:Needing a replay to bear Cambridge? :wink: Man U are better but it still seems a bit dysfunctional and that Van Gaal is just trying to get Man U over the line and then overhaul things in the summer

Yeah, it's still a bit of a mess with us. Honestly placing top 4 is all we want right now, it'd be a real blessing in fact. Van Gaal has made positive strides, so over the Summer he can hopefully toughen up our defence.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:10 am

Shen Ai wrote:Yeah, it's still a bit of a mess with us. Honestly placing top 4 is all we want right now, it'd be a real blessing in fact. Van Gaal has made positive strides, so over the Summer he can hopefully toughen up our defence.

I still can't believe he didn't do anything to improve it in January.

On a related note, I HATE losing to Spurs :(

Anyway shall we move this over to the footy [url]thread[/url]?
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LegendOfGuanYu » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:12 pm

I am a HUGE baseball fan. I even follow the Japanese league to an extent. Don't much care for American Football. Love hockey and Soccer though. Just wish soccer was bigger here in the US.
LegendOfGuanYu
Tyro

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:14 am

LegendOfGuanYu wrote:I am a HUGE baseball fan. I even follow the Japanese league to an extent. Don't much care for American Football. Love hockey and Soccer though. Just wish soccer was bigger here in the US.

Yeah, Soccer isn't terrible to watch. It's an easy sport to relax with friends with, you can chat about whatever and not worry about missing much until you see an obvious scoring opportunity. I would watch more if I got more exposure to teams and the like (and had the time and inclination to watch). I also love hockey. I wish I could watch more of it, I don't think I've seen a game for over a year. Go Wings!

Baseball is another "easy-going" sport, and I understand the appeal, but it's just not for me.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby Sun Fin » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:31 am

Bush Leagues wrote:Yeah, Soccer isn't terrible to watch. It's an easy sport to relax with friends with, you can chat about whatever and not worry about missing much until you see an obvious scoring opportunity.

You've never watched soccer with an Englishman have you? Relaxing is the last thing I can do when Arsenal or England are playing. :lol:
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:18 am

Sun Fin wrote:
Bush Leagues wrote:Yeah, Soccer isn't terrible to watch. It's an easy sport to relax with friends with, you can chat about whatever and not worry about missing much until you see an obvious scoring opportunity.

You've never watched soccer with an Englishman have you? Relaxing is the last thing I can do when Arsenal or England are playing. :lol:

Oh yeah. I've never cared enough about sports to get into anything heavier than a casual argument. Soccer for anyone who's not American will typically surpass that.

I will say this typically changes during the Olympics. I always root for our competitors, barring an exception circumstance. When Japan won the women's soccer gold medal against USA a week or two after that tsunami wrecked them, I was kinda like..."OK, it sucks to lose, but if we had to lose, at least it's Japan who could use some good news."
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby LegendOfGuanYu » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:11 pm

Bush Leagues wrote:
LegendOfGuanYu wrote:I am a HUGE baseball fan. I even follow the Japanese league to an extent. Don't much care for American Football. Love hockey and Soccer though. Just wish soccer was bigger here in the US.

Yeah, Soccer isn't terrible to watch. It's an easy sport to relax with friends with, you can chat about whatever and not worry about missing much until you see an obvious scoring opportunity. I would watch more if I got more exposure to teams and the like (and had the time and inclination to watch). I also love hockey. I wish I could watch more of it, I don't think I've seen a game for over a year. Go Wings!

Baseball is another "easy-going" sport, and I understand the appeal, but it's just not for me.

I'm a huge San Jose Sharks fan. Have been since I was a kid. Grew up for the most part in the NorCal Bay Area. I like basketball but the NBA is a major farce. NFL is too popular IMO and boring in my opinion. I'll watch any kind of soccer. From the Mexican Primera (usually if I get the Spanish channels. Hate Club America!) to the Deutsche Bundesliga to the English Premier League.

I love baseball because that's what I wanted to be growing up. I wanted to be a baseball player and play for the Oakland Athletics. lol Still wish I could though.
LegendOfGuanYu
Tyro

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:31 am

LegendOfGuanYu wrote:I'm a huge San Jose Sharks fan. Have been since I was a kid. Grew up for the most part in the NorCal Bay Area. I like basketball but the NBA is a major farce. NFL is too popular IMO and boring in my opinion. I'll watch any kind of soccer. From the Mexican Primera (usually if I get the Spanish channels. Hate Club America!) to the Deutsche Bundesliga to the English Premier League.

I love baseball because that's what I wanted to be growing up. I wanted to be a baseball player and play for the Oakland Athletics. lol Still wish I could though.

Wings and Sharks have had a decent rivalry the last 5 years or so. Chants of "Hoooowwwwww-aaaarrrrrrrd" when they play in San Jose are fresh in my mind. Let me also say that Doc Emerick for NHL on NBC is the best sportscaster in the business today. He is absolutely fantastic; he knows when to talk, and even better, when not to talk. He makes every play exciting, even a simple clearing out of the puck.

NBA is kinda terrible. It's a well-known secret that they just don't call travelling anymore unless the guys takes about 17 steps. Superstars get a bit of "competitive edge" from the officials. That said, the San Antonio Spurs (my team) are one of the finest organizations in pro sports. Classy people from top to bottom, a very strong "team" mentality. All coach Pop does is win games and not gave two damns what other people think of his decisions. I loved it when they won the title last year.

I wouldn't call the NFL dull, but it's too offensive for me now. Rough, hard-hitting defensive games are my favorite. The "game of the century" two or three years ago in college football (LSU 9 Alabama 6 in overtime) was one of my favorite games I ever watched. It wasn't that the offenses were bad; the defenses were that good. But LSU's offense was pretty bad. :lol:

As for Baseball, I actually know a great deal about baseball, and if you got pick-up game on the local field or popped MLB The Show 2015 into the Playstation, I'll happily play some baseball with you. Watching it is just a bit meh.

I wanted to be a baseball player the year I played little league. I played right field. That should tell you how skilled I was. :lol:

Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby Shen Ai » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:44 pm

I'm a bit of a tennis enthusiast these days. Gotta love tennis. Very smooth and classy sport.
I've a brave warrior in my army. Shen Ai is his name, and he can slay this Hua Xiong.

Wei has no more famous commanders, Shen Ai takes lead of the vanguard!

Even a commoner on the street knows what Shen Ai is thinking!
Shen Ai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:20 am

Shen Ai wrote:I'm a bit of a tennis enthusiast these days. Gotta love tennis. Very smooth and classy sport.

It really is. Except for one or two exceptions, most pro tennis players act graciously in victory and defeat.

Long gone are the days of John McEnroe spending a few minutes to yell about a bad call.

There's actually a fairly funny commercial (I think it's Wells Fargo) where McEnroe and Andy Roddick (a recently retired pro) are playing a match. McEnroe is waiting for Roddick to serve (he takes a long time), and he does something on his phone. Roddick hits an ace and McEnroe spends a while complaining about it while Andy does something on his phone.

Should be easy to find Youtube if you feel like looking it up. I'm at work, so I can't link you.

Bush Leagues
Scholar

Previous

Return to Gamers’ Haven