Favorite Video Game of All-Time?

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Unread postby Ma Chao » Fri Aug 02, 2002 1:52 pm

lot of game i like of game .game are my life
anyway here a small listy
lod
suikdon games(even the one in jap)
most finalfantasy exp 8 not plaeyed 10 yet but well see
megaman games
zelda
mario
sonic
golden axe
streetfighter
king of fighter
last blade
magical brop 3
dw1,2+3
bloody roure
oh well better leve it at this and renber all you base beloe 2 are us :lol:
Ma Chao
Tyro

Unread postby CK » Fri Aug 02, 2002 4:50 pm

I think it must be the King of Fighters. I also liked Soul Calibur in fact, but I do not have DC so I'll settle for KOF.
Truth is always partial

Absense of dream creates nothing but dream creates absense if you do nothing
CK
Changshi

Unread postby A Sympathetic Character » Fri Aug 02, 2002 6:15 pm

If you enjoyed KOF, why isn't Street Fighters on your list????????

It's one of the best fighting games of all time!
"I am a Sympathetic Character! I have been undeniably jealous of those who hold more power than me. . . I feel utterly threatened by them." - A Sympathetic Character
A Sympathetic Character
Langzhong

Unread postby Rowde » Fri Aug 02, 2002 6:58 pm

The Biggest Hypocrite wrote:If you enjoyed KOF, why isn't Street Fighters on your list????????

It's one of the best fighting games of all time!

You have to understand that all fighters are FUNDAMENTALLY DIFFERENT!!! 8-)

I prefer SNK fighters more as opposed to Capcom ones. SNK fighters tend to be more strategic.
Prime example of what I'm talking about, most SNK power gauges fill when you successfully defend attacks and take damage, as opposed to Capcom fighters, where the bar fills whenever you attack.
Copernicus of the New Age, take this unbearable weight of gravity, and liberate this galaxy!"
~ Kenji Miyazawa
Rowde
Intensified Luck Soldier

Unread postby A Sympathetic Character » Fri Aug 02, 2002 7:01 pm

Yah! But capcom literally invented fighting games...............

SNK, even though I love them, are a cheap rip-off!
"I am a Sympathetic Character! I have been undeniably jealous of those who hold more power than me. . . I feel utterly threatened by them." - A Sympathetic Character
A Sympathetic Character
Langzhong

Unread postby Rowde » Fri Aug 02, 2002 7:11 pm

The Biggest Hypocrite wrote:Yah! But capcom literally invented fighting games...............

SNK, even though I love them, are a cheap rip-off!

Okay...
You aren't thinking before you write. Do me a favor and think long and hard before you reply to this...
What is a rip-off?
An exact imitation of something, perhaps with different names, colors, etc. So a rip-off of a soda, say Coke for instance, would taste EXACTLY like Coke, but have different name and design. So, Dr. Pepper is not a rip-off of Coke just because they are both sodas.
Ahem, so are SNK fighting games rip-offs of Capcom figting games...
No, they use completely fighting engines. Saying that SNK fighters are rip-offs just because they are fighting games is just silly.
Capcom games are faster, IMO, because no matter what you do, you are always charging your power gauge to do a super attack. I could sit in a corner and throw punches at nothing to charge my bar, I would be perfectly safe, and then I could go in on the attack with a fully charged super in my pocket.
SNK you have to be more strategic, you have to go in and be in the heat of battle to get your power gauge up. You can't just sit in the corner and throw fireballs. In fact, doing this is worse for you cause every fireball you throw that your opponent blocks is charging his super bar.

*EDIT*
I would also like to make it known that I am fully aware that SNK the company does not exist anymore. The teams and rights got split, and several different companies have taken over different SNK franchises. I just refer to them as SNK games for nostalgia sakes.
Copernicus of the New Age, take this unbearable weight of gravity, and liberate this galaxy!"
~ Kenji Miyazawa
Rowde
Intensified Luck Soldier

Unread postby A Sympathetic Character » Fri Aug 02, 2002 7:48 pm

A rip-off is when someone/something steals from somewhere else..........
If they try to alter it, but they still have the same aspects, that's still a rip-off...............
For example, FIRE BALLS............. SF came up with it first with Ryu and Ken...............
KOF used Kyo and some other character with fire balls!!!!!
Why couldn't their characters use acid or thunder, but noooooooo they had to use capcom's fire balls!
KOF even admits to stealing characteristics from Ryu for their character named RYO!
The super meter-bar................ Capcom had it first with those super moves and KOF came following behind!!!!!

The two companies even merged for the spin-off Capcom Vs. SNK.......... They probably came together because the two fighting games are very alike!!!!! And SNK totally ruined the 2D genre by producing so many titles of that fighting game style!!!!

And the SNK fighting games wouldn't be considered as a rip-off if it surpassed Capcom, but it didn't! And SF has always been a fan favourite compared to SNK................ That's why SNK lost alllllll their money!!!!!!

I've enjoyed debating with you! :D
A Sympathetic Character
Langzhong

heh right...

Unread postby Rowde » Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:18 pm

The Biggest Hypocrite wrote:For example, FIRE BALLS............. SF came up with it first with Ryu and Ken...............
KOF used Kyo and some other character with fire balls!!!!!
Why couldn't their characters use acid or thunder, but noooooooo they had to use capcom's fire balls!

They have many many characters that use acid, thunder, etc. As opposed to Capcom where everybody just throws fireballs...
Some examples:
Ground Wave - Terry, Iori, Rock, Geese
Thunder - Benimaru
Acid - Raiden, Genan
Wind - Joe, Haohmaru
They expanded the amount of different attacks.

The Biggest Hypocrite wrote:KOF even admits to stealing characteristics from Ryu for their character named RYO!

Capcom has admitted that Dan was a combination of Ryo and Roberto from the Art of Fighting...

The Biggest Hypocrite wrote:The super meter-bar................ Capcom had it first with those super moves and KOF came following behind!!!!!

By your logic, then Capcom "stole" the idea of having finishing moves from Midway's Mortal Kombat.

The Biggest Hypocrite wrote:The two companies even merged for the spin-off Capcom Vs. SNK.......... They probably came together because the two fighting games are very alike!!!!! And SNK totally ruined the 2D genre by producing so many titles of that fighting game style!!!!

Last I checked the 2-D fighting game genre was still very much alive. Each of SNK's fighting games had completely different 'grooves' also...

The Biggest Hypocrite wrote:And the SNK fighting games wouldn't be considered as a rip-off if it surpassed Capcom, but it didn't! And SF has always been a fan favourite compared to SNK................ That's why SNK lost alllllll their money!!!!!!

SNK went out much the same way that SEGA almost did. They tried to make their own system and it didn't do well, putting the company in shaky waters. They weren't able to recover like SEGA did though.
Also, it is just your opinion that SNK games did not surpass Capcom, to many people, they did.

The Biggest Hypocrite wrote:I've enjoyed debating with you!

Don't think we're finished...

Look, I don't know what your problem is. I was not out to start an argument here. I like Capcom games, too. I just prefer SNK titles because they tend to make me think more. It's not about 'poking' so much, cause if you prod your opponenet to much, you power up their super bar. That's why I responded that it isn't so hard to believe that someone would prefer SNK over Capcom, they are fundamentally different. If SNK fighters were true rip-offs of Capcom games, then I should be able to play either game and see absolutely no difference at all. There was really no reason to call SNK rip-offs of Capcom. They aren't. The only thing they have in common is they are both fighting games. You are being way too liberal with your definition of "rip-off," and I'd be very careful about that.

*EDIT*
Thank you, Wei Yan. (see post below this one) See that's what I was talking about. By your definition of what a rip-off is, Street Fighter is a rip-off of Super Mario on the NES because they borrowed the element of being able to throw fireballs.
Last edited by Rowde on Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Kenji Miyazawa
Rowde
Intensified Luck Soldier

Unread postby Wei Yan » Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:30 pm

Uhh technically didnt Nintendo invent the fireball. Cause Mario was the first to use a fireball. So Mario owns all their asses mwaahahahahaha
"To obtain peace we must go to war. If only the world was a lot easier"
Wei Yan
Langzhong

Re: heh right...

Unread postby A Sympathetic Character » Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:45 pm

Rowde wrote:By your logic, then Capcom "stole" the idea of having finishing moves from Midway's Mortal Kombat.

SF does not have any finishing moves!!!!!

And 3D fighting games are in now!!!! Maybe you should get your mind updated to the 21st century!
A Sympathetic Character
Langzhong

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven