Favorite Video Game of All-Time?

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Unread postby Pappy O'daniels » Mon Jul 29, 2002 11:18 am

Jumping in way late on this...I'm the odd one out. (TG-16 fanatic warning)
I hated all of Miyamoto's games save Mario 3 and Mario World. But then Klonoa blew those away 3 years later anyway. And I've always hated Blizzard games, the only fun I got from their RTS games was clicking the units over and over to make them say funny things.
And my favorite 16-bit console.....Was the TG-16. It took most developers about two years of screwing around on the SNES to figure out how to make the graphics better than most of the second run Hu-Card games. Woo! 8-)
How NEC of America failed with that astounding system is a mystery that shall forever haunt us. Actually it was probably the fact they blitzed the market with all the add-ons at once, but that seems a tad silly for people to judge it on a bad marketing strategy. There were so many games to love there......Like....Until Der Langrisser for the Genesis (and later returning to the PC Engine, and even then it was just the story, not the gameplay.), my favorite console strategy game was Nectaris/Military Madness, one of the few strategy games that flanking an enemy unit or attacking with more than one at a time made a difference, as it boosted the attacker's stats. In fact it was possible to take down the strongest of vehicles with regular infantrymen if a few groups all hit it at once. This continued on in its sequel, and then its one-shot cousin, Vasteel, which was superior to both. Besides which anything that includes the Axis powers, past, present, or a supposed future, gets an extra point because I'm biased towards them by birth. :P

Who can forget, even if they never played it, the adorable big-headed caveman BONK? Heck, NEC even tried to push him into the Nintendo realm for one last hurrah, though he was overshadowed by the impending N64 release. Which is somewhat painful, because imo in Gamepro's terms, Bonk's graphics, gameplay, music, design, and fun factor, far outdistanced a plumber on an acid trip. Besides, I'd like to see Yoshi or Koopa try to beat up that weird Deinochyus that looked and fought like Joe Louis. Besides which I don't recall Mario ever having a shooter game.

(Warning#2: about to become apparent how much I love shooters. Sega CD games not counting here, that came after NEC's fall, and no Turbo Duo as no one probably remembers that CD add-on anyway.)
Speaking of shooters, all the 16-bit systems at this time got deluged with a crapload of them. The best on SNES, of course, outside of anything by Irem and Konami, cheated and took advantage of the Mode 7 chip. Most notably Axelay. Genesis, lacking the capacity for this, needed to use increasingly fun gimmicks. Arrowshock let you use a ship or a speedier but less powerful robot. Gaiares let you steal enemy weapons. The Thunderforce series let you switch between 6 different powerups, though it had 8 weapons. (two powerups override the ones you start with.) Herzog Zwei was a shooter and an RTS game at the same time. MUSHA series, by Compile, had anime-style mecha in Feudal Japan. (Adding in from out of nowhere, Compile also did the greastest NES shooter ever, Guardian Legends. :D ) Anything dealing with WW2 Japan, like Tigerhawk, was obscenely hard and could only be completed through emulation. And of course Zero Wing went down in history for having completely off-the-wall translation, and being obscenely easy. Nice change of pace after Tigerhawk. ( I'm serious about this game. Normal enemies on easy take upwards of 10 shots, I never bothered counting, I was busy spiraling downwards as a flaming wreck. Big enemies take around a hundred. Bosses take about 5-8 minutes, yes minutes, of straight shooting. Also, dying would throw you back halfway into the stages, which are also very long. You also have no bombs, your secondary weapon was a set of companion fighters that died as quickly and as horribly as you.)
TG-16's shooters had few gimmicks, save for Compile's, whom have a different theme for each series, such as collecting powerups in Super Star Soldier gives you shields as well. Most were just straight up challenging. Not insane, just decent. Anyone with "twitch" skills would make it through within a week or so. Among the classics for the TG-16 were Blazing Lasers, the graphically awe-inspiring Soldier Blade, and Sinistar. Not the Atari one, this one gave you a ship with a blade on the front. In order to fire, you had to open it, however it protected you from injury, and was more powerful. Of course there'd be no challenge if it covered your whole ship, so if anything touches you from behind you explode.
Oh, and of course the Air Zonk series. (Short for "Zyber Bonk"...Basically Bonk as a cyborg with a lightning bolt mohawk. ) Every bit as wacky as Bonk, but as a shooter with even stranger bosses. ( The factory where you fight pieces of the bosses instead of all the bosses all over again was a funny twist.)

Finally, RPG fans had little going for them on this system, but what was there was grand. Cosmic Fantasy is the first that comes to mind, essentially a semi-comedic version of Phantasy Star crossed with a bit of Valis. Up next is a simply above average arcade-style dungeon crawl, Double Dungeons, so named because 2 players could tackle it at once. Ingenious design saves it from being mediocre, as you could tackle any level but the final in any order you wanted. The catch is you were required to find scrolls with a single letter printed upon each one. In-game saves used a 21 letter password, however once you found these scrolls, you would have the password for the 22nd dungeon, and could finally finish the game. An absolute monstrous crawl it was, the scrolls were hard to find, though a few were held by the boss creatures. Each level also had a different time limit, three of the lower dungeon levels had time limits of a half a day, and I'd actually run out of time on them a few times! (No kidding. In fact the final level has a time limit of 1600 "military" minutes, and I beat it in 1083 my second time through, after running out of time again!) The dungeons are large, confusing, excessively hard, yet a very rewarding finish, especially with a friend, though if you wanted to be technical, they were never dungeons at all. ( It's actually an ancient pyramid, buried underground over time.)
Then, there's Dungeon Explorer 1 and 2. Its basically a much much faster Gauntlet: The RPG. You played it like Gauntlet whilst accepting side quests and liberating towns and such. However the second one throws everything for a loop, as the demons in the first game are now not really demons but an alien "experiment." This, of course, means the oddly placed scientific lab in the first game was simply foreshadowing, and now you have to battle outer-space creatures using simplistic but magically charged medieval throwing weapons and magic potions. Zany. The series' greatest achievements were actually in terms of its graphics and music, however.(though multiplayer fun is always a nice bonus. In #2 you also got the ability to bring along AI-controlled party members as well. This and a few other features were lost on the Sega CD version.) The music for the first was half bad, half good, having two composers, though the half bad depends on you liking techno. (I don't.) The second one went all-out on a nice fusion of speed metal with classical instruments. Graphically, they put most any other action RPG pre '91 to shame.
Finally, there was the Wanderers of Ys series, and the Arabian semi-spinoff Exile, both saw limited releases later on on the SNES and Genesis.
Ys was typical "vanquish the evildoer" stuff, but it had great visuals, music, and was one of the first games to feature animated cutscenes. Ones longer than a few seconds anyway, as lots of Duo games had anime style cutscenes quick enough to get the job done.
Exile I must play again, I don't recall much, outside of liking it. 'course that was 4 years ago my Duo died, so I'd forget a lot of what went in the Duo RPGs since then. I do recall it played similar to Ys, had the same menu and exp systems, but was a bit darker and had a non-clichéd storyline.

Whew....Quite a lot of typing for only 20 minutes work, I'm starting to hyperventilate......Gotta find a brown bag. I really love my NEC. Can ya tell? And I didn't even go in depth into the Der Langrisser series or Dracula X, which I forgot to mention til now. Whew. Whew. *pantpantpant* And of course, there's gobs of other games, like Splatterhouse, and a kooky Friday the 13th adventure game.
Boy am I lucky I found this thread before I left, I probably wouldn't feel up to this when I get back from work today. :lol:
Pappy O'daniels
Initiate

Unread postby A Sympathetic Character » Tue Jul 30, 2002 5:34 am

Classics like Mario and Resident Evil are good..........

Tekken and Street Fighter are my favourite fighting games!!!!
"I am a Sympathetic Character! I have been undeniably jealous of those who hold more power than me. . . I feel utterly threatened by them." - A Sympathetic Character
A Sympathetic Character
Langzhong

Huh?

Unread postby Rowde » Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:10 am

I posted this before... but it got lost when the server chashed a while back... this looks like a good thread to re-post the info on, though.

My favorite game of "All-Time?" Well, first of all, let me just express, for the record, how much displeasure I have for anything that is "all-time." I do not know, nor have I ever claimed to know, the future. Final Fantasy XXIII may be the greatest game ever made, historically even, but there is no way for me to know that yet...

Do I'm just going to tell you what my favorite game is "so far." :wink:

It is the game that changed the way I looked at gaming itself. It turned what was previously a mere hobby of mine into a dreadful obsession. I speak none of none other than...

Phantasy Star II for the Sega Genesis.
Classic, that's all I can say. Words fail me and stuff. If you ever get a chance to play PhSII on another system (versions have been released for DC and GBA) I highly recommend it.
Copernicus of the New Age, take this unbearable weight of gravity, and liberate this galaxy!"
~ Kenji Miyazawa
Rowde
Intensified Luck Soldier

Unread postby NiGHTS » Wed Jul 31, 2002 11:58 pm

I like...in no particular order:
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
NiGHTS: Into Dreams
Fighter's Megamix
Suikoden
Suikoden II
Final Fantasy Tactics

Right now I'm playing Tokyo Xtreme Race Zero...and I sorta like that, too ^_^
BAKA BAKA BAKA BAKA BAKA!!!!!! - Narusegawa
NiGHTS
Student

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Thu Aug 01, 2002 5:17 am

Li Khanh wrote:Right now I'm playing Tokyo Xtreme Race Zero...and I sorta like that, too ^_^

I had that a while back, and it was a decent game, very difficult to defeat everybody. I never totally beat the game, and prefer GTA3 :D
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Unread postby Jonathan » Thu Aug 01, 2002 8:05 pm

There are several games I call my favorites

Romance of the three kingdoms III
Final Fantasy II & III (American)
Mario Cart and Mario Cart 64
Metal Gear (entire series with the exception of the last one)
Final Fantasy Tactics
Twisted Metal II
F-Zero
Street Fighter

And some classic games like BOOM, tetris, Duck Hunt, Mario series.
Also known as Zhuge Xuanshi
"The problem with the gene pool is, there's no lifeguard."
-Steven Wright
Jonathan
Censored
Censored

Unread postby A Sympathetic Character » Thu Aug 01, 2002 8:09 pm

Whoa! Surprisingly, not everyone has DW on their list???????? Isn't this forum for that particular game???????? WEIRD!!!! :gsad:
"I am a Sympathetic Character! I have been undeniably jealous of those who hold more power than me. . . I feel utterly threatened by them." - A Sympathetic Character
A Sympathetic Character
Langzhong

Unread postby Maria » Fri Aug 02, 2002 7:30 am

The Biggest Hypocrite wrote:Whoa! Surprisingly, not everyone has DW on their list???????? Isn't this forum for that particular game???????? WEIRD!!!! :gsad:

It's just a matter of taste. And the forum is not one thing that could stand in your opinion :D

I like Tetris more than any games. Talking about fastest fingers here :D
Maria
Iron Duchess

Unread postby Iznoach, Legendary Dragon » Fri Aug 02, 2002 7:32 am

The Biggest Hypocrite wrote:Whoa! Surprisingly, not everyone has DW on their list???????? Isn't this forum for that particular game???????? WEIRD!!!! :gsad:

While I've only played the second one, it was a good game for a while then became tedious. I played it for about 3 weeks and then traded it for Tekken Tag Tournament (I think). I wonder if DW3 is the same or has more difficult...
"Armed and dangerous, ain't too many can hang wit us
straight up weed no angel dust, label us Notorious..."--Biggie
Iznoach, Legendary Dragon
Gunslinger

Well...

Unread postby Rowde » Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:30 am

IMO, DW3 can get tedious too. There is a wider variety of characters though. I don't know, it took me about 6 months to get completely burned out on it.
Copernicus of the New Age, take this unbearable weight of gravity, and liberate this galaxy!"
~ Kenji Miyazawa
Rowde
Intensified Luck Soldier

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven