Favorite Video Game of All-Time?

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: Favorite Video Game of All-Time?

Unread postby plunged » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:08 pm

Zhuanyong wrote:
plunged wrote:I kind of didn't like FFVII as much as I thought I would

I'm interested in why you didn't like it? Most people I've read state they didn't like it have cited a different range of reasons, unless they are of the younger gamer generation that cite FFX or later as their first FF game. Then it's usually that they hate the graphics...

Well FFVIII was my favourite for a long time, probably because it was my first. FFVIII had that triggering mode with Squall and it had rumble and joystick support. I really missed that when I realised FFVII didn't have it. Graphics-wise VIII was better and more realistic. In FFVII the characters only looked somwhat realistic in (few) FMV's and battles, but not in 2D view, where most of the dialogue took place, so I cared less for them. In FFVIII they looked realistic all the time. In VII I did like the hunt for Sephiroth, but overall I never considered him as bad-ass as most people did. Dunno why. There were some scenes with him which I didn't like. One was in a cave and it starts quaking... not the scene with Aeris. I remember it was a side-view area, where you walk Cloud from left to right and *poof* suddenly Sephiroth appears. I don't know what he said, but I do remember that scene turned me off and made me not like him. He probably did/said something lame or over the top. And all those spin-offs of VII didn't do my opinion of the game much good either.

I think with most of these Japanese games that are, gameplay-wise, more or less the same with every installments (FF and DW for example) the first one you play is usually the best.
Please check out: Gongjin's Campaign Memorials: a Three Kingdoms Wiki.
Now with translations of: He Jin, Huangfu Song, Zhu Jun, Lu Zhi, Cheng Pu, Sima Shi, Lady Wang and many more.

Read Romance of the Three Kingdoms online (with corrected names)
plunged
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WindScene » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:44 pm

Romance of the Three Kingdoms X, Chrono Trigger, and Castlevania: Curse of Darkness.
WindScene
Tyro

Unread postby plunged » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:09 pm

Curse of Darkness? Really? I thought Lament was better (of the two PS2 titles).
Now with translations of: He Jin, Huangfu Song, Zhu Jun, Lu Zhi, Cheng Pu, Sima Shi, Lady Wang and many more.

plunged
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:39 am

plunged wrote:Well FFVIII was my favourite for a long time, probably because it was my first. FFVIII had that triggering mode with Squall and it had rumble and joystick support. I really missed that when I realised FFVII didn't have it. Graphics-wise VIII was better and more realistic. In FFVII the characters only looked somwhat realistic in (few) FMV's and battles, but not in 2D view, where most of the dialogue took place, so I cared less for them. In FFVIII they looked realistic all the time. In VII I did like the hunt for Sephiroth, but overall I never considered him as bad-ass as most people did. Dunno why. There were some scenes with him which I didn't like. One was in a cave and it starts quaking... not the scene with Aeris. I remember it was a side-view area, where you walk Cloud from left to right and *poof* suddenly Sephiroth appears. I don't know what he said, but I do remember that scene turned me off and made me not like him. He probably did/said something lame or over the top. And all those spin-offs of VII didn't do my opinion of the game much good either.

I think with most of these Japanese games that are, gameplay-wise, more or less the same with every installments (FF and DW for example) the first one you play is usually the best.

Definitely very reasonable. FFVIII was my third FF after FFVII and FF Tactics, so it was a definite upgrade graphics and realism-wise for me. The part you're referring to is when you go to the Northern Cave and he appears frozen while summoning "meteor".

:lol: The only spin-off I sort of cared about from FFVII was the Advent Children movie. Crisis Core is alright but strictly for the purpose of giving a story to Zack and confirming why Cloud was the way he was throughout FFVII. Not necessary but I understand why they milked it for what it was worth.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby WindScene » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:51 pm

plunged wrote:Curse of Darkness? Really? I thought Lament was better (of the two PS2 titles).

Yes, Curse of Darkness, I never played Lament of Innocence.
WindScene
Tyro

Unread postby plunged » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:29 pm

Zhuanyong wrote:Definitely very reasonable. FFVIII was my third FF after FFVII and FF Tactics, so it was a definite upgrade graphics and realism-wise for me. The part you're referring to is when you go to the Northern Cave and he appears frozen while summoning "meteor".

:lol: The only spin-off I sort of cared about from FFVII was the Advent Children movie. Crisis Core is alright but strictly for the purpose of giving a story to Zack and confirming why Cloud was the way he was throughout FFVII. Not necessary but I understand why they milked it for what it was worth.

Could be that it was Northern Cave, but I'm not sure. Been so long since I played this. Wasn't that where you find the Materia for Alexander, the summon?

I actually liked that Advent Children movie too. It wasn't fantastic, but overall a good movie imo. Never tried any of the other spin-offs and doubt I ever will. Lost my appetite for FF since FFXIII. I really liked FFXII a lot... FFXIII should've followed its example.

WindScene wrote:Yes, Curse of Darkness, I never played Lament of Innocence.

I enjoyed that. Nice final battle too. Lament stood out for me though. Great music score, cool boss battles and better graphics and overall felt like it received more love and dedication from the production team. CoD did have that thing with those little critters that followed you around and you could level them up. Symphony of the Night had that too. Was a fun feature.

Lords of Shadow is better than both of them imo.

plunged
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Devinoextra » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:54 pm

KOTOR.

nuff said

best game I played in 15 years.
Devinoextra
Tyro

Unread postby Senshi-Tien » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:28 pm

My favorite video game of all time hands down would have to be Shadow of the Colossus. The setting, characters, and overall gameplay not just elicit nostalgic memories for me, but I've yet to find such an engrossing setting and mythology in a video game. Ico comes close, but Shadow of the Colossus edges it out by a hair. Now if only The Last Guardian would come out...
Senshi-Tien
Tyro

Unread postby ky9ersfan » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:37 pm

Suikoden 1, just an all around masterpiece. I loved the story, the characters, mix of party battles, army battles, and the duels. I also liked recruiting an army of warriors. This is the game that made me love RPG's.
ky9ersfan
Initiate

Unread postby greencactaur » Mon May 30, 2016 11:03 pm

I have a few games that rank as my #1
Chrono Trigger
Persona 3
Dragon Quest 8
These 3 games are by far my favorite games of all time. Each one is perfect from the gameplay, to the atmosphere, to the story. I absolutely adore them!
greencactaur
Academic

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven