Favorite Video Game of All-Time?

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: Favorite Video Game of All-Time?

Unread postby Valvatorez » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:51 am

Jordan wrote:
Shout out to Valvatorez. I played Disgaea 4 only last year and greatly enjoyed it. It was the first Disgaea game I have played.

I'm always glad when someone recognizes my name from Disgaea :D I didn't care much for Disgaea 4's story, but I liked most of the characters and always liked the gameplay. Disgaea D2 is probably the best gameplay wise and makes things a bit more easier and less tedious, so maybe you could try that too if you haven't already. I think all of them are eventually coming out for pc, I know Disgaea 2 is coming within the next 2 weeks and 1 has been out for over a year.
The game both of you have described actually does seem interesting, but I've played some "H" games that were absolutely terrible, but always looking for some kinda game that has lots of replayability so might check that out. Also I like your Chen Gong avatar, I think he may have surprisingly been my favorite character from the tv series. :lol:
Valvatorez
Assistant

Unread postby Jordan » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:06 am

The story made me laugh very hard up until the villain became a prominent feature. I wasn't a real big fan of Nemo. Loved the characters and gameplay though.

I played D2 before actually, but I didn't get too far. I might try D2 again, D1 or D5 at some point. The PC releases are sweet because I can potentially pick one up during a Steam sale.

@ Bush Leagues: I couldn't agree more with everything you wrote.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Valvatorez » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:17 pm

Same, I liked all of the characters too. D2 does make certain things a bit easier and has a "cheat shop" that lets you earn more exp, mana, or whatever so its easier to power up your characters in less time, and also lets you raise items past level 100/200 and keep powering them up, so your team can be stronger, and you need to put in a ton of time just to take out the game's superboss, I think I had to play almost 200 hours just to have 4 characters ready to battle the boss :shock: D1 actually seems to take the longest to level up and stuff, but I guess it just comes down to if you want to play the game for the story and post game or try to max some/all your characters and beat everything, either way, I always loved Disgaea games, and want to try 5 too since that's the only one I never played. D1 actually has some mods that you can improve the graphics and add the boss characters to your team that you couldn't do otherwise, so hopefully if all the games release on pc eventually they will have that kinda stuff too.
Valvatorez
Assistant

Unread postby mendedties » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:38 pm

This thread could seriously use some Final Fantasy X. Also World of Warcraft. And DW3, of course. Ratchet and Clank, SSX Tricky...

Sweet, sweet childhood...

No video games for me anymore, though. Too much time squandered (a personal conviction and in no way a judgment on how others spend their time). But fortunately for me, over time I've come to enjoy playing video games less and less, to the point where after just an hour I'm restless.
“I think we delight to praise what we enjoy because the praise not merely expresses but completes the enjoyment; it is its appointed consummation." -- C.S. Lewis
mendedties
Assistant

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:52 pm

Final Fantasy X really is a fantastic title. It's available on Steam with some great bonus features for us NA players. Aside from having access to the Expert Sphere Grid (level up system), Dark Aeons, Ribbon armor ability, and Penance that International players had, you can also swap between the original and re-mastered versions of the music (some of the music was re-arranged, like the song in the Via Purifico, and I preferred the original). There are also some "game modifiers" you can activate that make the game much more tolerable. There is a game speed up option (x2 and x4) that makes everything outside of a cutscene go much faster. Great for when you're trying to grind a bit for something or another. You can also change encounter rates from normal, to none, to tons; you can auto-battle, where your characters will just normal attack everything until one side dies; and a "supercharge" option that makes your characters auto-heal and full overdrive every time their turn comes up. Kind of cheating, but if you're just trying to get through an area quickly, and you know you can smash everything in your way, it does speed things up by not having to take your time and heal every few turns.

It was the first FF I played, which maybe colors my opinion a bit, but after playing fan favorite 7 (which is great for one disc, terrible for the second disc, then fine, but not amazing for the final disc), and getting to disc 3 of FF8 (which was relatively good up to that point), and having played a few of the older ones (but not 6, which I'm told is excellent), FFX remains the best I've played. I'm convinced it's likely one of the better FFs. It's interesting that (I just learned this, it's actually quite controversial, apparently) there is an envisioned connection between VII and X-2 in the minds of the writer Kazushige Nojima.

It's hardly perfect, but it is very good, and aside from a few minor flaws, executed quite well. The plot is more complex than "this guy wants to blow up the world, I guess we should stop him or something", which is quite refreshing. The plot is mostly internally consistent, with no glaring errors that stick out. Although there are a few things I don't think we ever got resolved. Although a few characters are bit too black and white "good and evil" for my taste, it holds up fairly well.

The biggest flaw is probably the main villain, someone you never even hear about until the third act. A earlier introduction to that person in some way would have been most welcome.

EDIT: A very good article detailing the alleged "connection" between VII and X/X-2
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:31 am

FFX was my first FF and I have dropped off playing FF games but I did love X, the group, the bliztball, the story, the beauty, was one of my first great RPG's.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby laojim » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:35 am

My favorite game of all time is still Myst and any or all of the following titles up to and including the latest from Cyan, Obduction, for which I went so far as to contribute to the production costs a couple of years ago. You can find it on Steam. It is a bear to solve and I haven't quite figured it out because, well, if I do solve it all will be over and i'll have to be content with replaying all the old ones so I have to wait a bit for some of the old solutions to leave my memory or they won't be any challenge at all.
laojim
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:41 pm

I recently replayed the remastered version of Myst (Masterpiece Edition, maybe), and found it enjoyable. I remembered enough of most of the world to breeze through the game for about half of it, then had to actually think again later on.

No idea Obduction was made by Cyan, I'll definitely have to give it a once-over.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:19 pm

Jordan and I rapped a bit before about his personal favorite game and one I rated highly, Sengoku Rance, the 7th game in the Rance series from Alicesoft. After completing the canonical "true" route twice, I finally felt comfortable enough to try going into the unknown alternate routes; there are 6 routes total, although only 4 routes count as completed routes for your New Game+ points count. This time, I did the Nanjou Ran alternate route. I found it fairly straightforward, and really had no difficulties with it. It actually felt pretty different from the true route, as the main enemy in that route doesn't make an appearance, one house returned from the dead (not literally, but I had defeated them and their vassals rose up again, seizing their former land), and then had to face a pretty strong enemy faction while dealing with the things you have to do to enter the end-game of the route.

I've had a high rating of this game since I've started playing, as there's a very deep strategy game underneath the eroge exterior. I think even then, I underestimated just how good the game really is. There's a lot to this game, and I think I really didn't understand how much effort Alicesoft put into these games, and in particular the lore behind them. I was checking a wiki to make sure I knew hoe to even get into the Ran route, since I had decided to go for that one, and got lost in the lore behind the games for about an hour. And there's actually so much. With more study, I would feel comfortable running a tabletop RPG in the setting of Rance, and be relatively comfortable I could convoy the nature and feel of the world.

But even this individual game actually has so much to it. The game felt completely different from the two different routes - and I know the Kenshin route will too, considering the nature of the Emperor Race in that route. Even then, you have the Demon King route for an extra-difficult game, which is technically un-winnable, but is undoubtedly a difficult challenge (you can defeat the enemy army from Japan, but the game then ends in a game over). Even THEN, you just have difficulties to bump up as well, a free-for-all mode with no story (where you can play any house), and more. There are lots of ways to challenge yourself and change the game up, so Jordan is right about the impressive amount of replayability.

As I'm now beginning to dive deeper into Rance, I can see the many different ways to go. There's actually so much to this game, and lots of interesting things that are in there simply for fun or to learn more about the characters. There are extra challenges you can go through, the various game objectives (which are not necessary to complete the game, but give 10 points each)...there's really so much there. The characters are distinct and almost all likable, in their own way. It's a fantastic RPG/Strategy/Visual Novel that is really deserving of a stellar reputation.

Bush Leagues
Scholar

Previous

Return to Gamers’ Haven