The King of Card Games: Been playing Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Links

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

The King of Card Games: Been playing Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Links

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:19 am

Steam page.

Yu-Gi-Oh is likely one of the most well-known card games in the world. Along with Pokemon and Magic: the Gathering, it's probably one of the most recognizable by name to the lay person who knows jack about card games. I'm a big fan of card games of all stripes, and being a Yu-Gi-Oh veteran from both high school days and playing Legacy of the Duelist on Steam, so I was excited when I saw it was available on PC and not just mobile.

Yu-Gi-Oh was created first as a standalone side-game in a manga written by Kazuki Takahashi. It was nothing more than a one-off game played by two characters before Takahashi moved on to another game afterward. However, fans of the manga were intrigued by the card game depicted, and so Kazuki ended up developing it more; eventually becoming it's own anime and real life card game.

Duel Links (DL) follows the standard online CCG model - free to play, you can unlock cards and other things with in-game currency you earn over time, but you can also pay to get stuff immediately. It gratefully doesn't have too bad of a "wait" system - so many mobile games have "hearts" or "lives" or some such that makes you artificially wait before you can continue. DL has similar, BUT you also progress "stages" (which are like levels) over time as well, and when you finish a stage, you re-gain all your potential duel opponents; I've noticed that with good play, and some deck tinkering you can finish all the stage requirements in the duels allowed, allowing you to keep playing on for a while without having to use items to unlock more duels. Besides which, there is another method of dueling that counts for this progression, so you're not locked out or anything.

The game itself is not the most faithful representation of the YGO card game. It's almost like a half-game - deck size minimum is half (20, not 40), life points are halved (start with 4000 not 8000), and you only have 3 monster and spell zones (instead of 5). So duels are actually fairly quicker than the standard card game, and the smaller deck size gives you more consistency. Your starting hand is 4, not 5 cards, and there is no second main phase after the battle phase. I almost prefer it in some sense - YGO has the potential to quickly snowball and become a rout; by making the game shorter, you play against having a longer game where one person is just getting clobbered, but also make it harder for a surprise comeback. With only 4000 LP, a rare few monsters even have attack higher than your LP, so getting one-shotted from full health is a possibility; but it would be exceedingly rare.

The PvP has been fun. There's no in-game chat, which is both a blessing and a curse; it's nice to avoid the inevitable toxicity from some, but being able to at least say hi and GG to your opponent would be nice; I rather like chatting during games like this. Connection issues do come up, and I've had 3-5 matches ended early because of disconnects. Consensus seems to be it's on the game's server's side, so there's not much to be done about it right now. I have a solid deck for right now, as I climb through the low ranks. Currently, I'm on a 8 or 9 game winning streak, including a great comeback win when I was down to just 200 LP and my opponent had a powerful "Dark Paladin" on the field. That win was a great feeling, as I had just the right cards in my deck to pull it out.

I haven't spent a dime thus far, and if I had been a bit smarter with my gems (primary in-game currency) so far, I would be in good shape. My deck is OK for these low ranks, but will definitely need to improve before I get too high. There are a few guides to the current best decks, and where to spend your gems and effort for building decks. So there are good resources if you're not sure where to go at the start.

It's been a fun time, and if you're kinda interested in YGO, or just a half-decent online CCG, this is a relatively easy way to get into it. Since I'm a fan of the game, I wouldn't mind helping out anyone from the forum giving it a shot at all.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Scholar

Re: The King of Card Games: Been playing Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Links

Unread postby Valvatorez » Wed Dec 27, 2017 2:56 am

I've always loved Yu-Gi-Oh, but before I say anything, keep in mind I never have played Duel Links, and most likely won't ever touch it :mrgreen:
The biggest problem for me is stuff you listed, the simpler rules may appeal to more casual players, but everything just seems kinda stripped down to make it simpler and, well boring to me and a lot of others I have seen talk about it. (This has to be the most dividing type of game among the playerbase, people either love it or hate it) Even though the actual game now goes by so much quicker than it used to and it's easier to get wiped out almost immediately like you said, there just seems to be so many different cards that while they are hard to even keep track of, it also makes things more interesting in actually building up a deck and trying out new ones, since there's soooo many different cards to choose from. I had fun trying out different cards I never used before in Legacy of the Duelist, and I know Duel Links itself is pretty popular, but the simple rules and things like microtransactions and limited cards, really kill off any interest I would have in the game. Legacy of the Duelist just seems like a much better game overall, since it has all the cards like synchros, xyz, pendulums and has all the cards in the game for free, except dlc. (honestly it's the microtransactions that kill it for me the most along with the limited amount of cards in the game) LoD may not as good as maybe some of the psp or gameboy games, but still seems better than Duel Links, at least for me, even YGOPro or Duel Network I'd be more likely to play, but then again, keep in mind I never played it so I won't judge it completely haha, however I'd certainly be up to play any of these other games with/against people, either to help them learn more about the games, or just play for fun and test new things out.
Valvatorez
Sage

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:34 am

I actually understand that mindset quite a bit, I see where you're coming from.

Legacy of the Duelist really was a great game; I loved being able to use the "story" decks to keep things interesting (even though most were hot garbage), and playing lots of different stuff. I eventually made a "Melodious Diva" deck that is actually pretty dang good and not the easiest thing to counter (Aria and Elegy, when both are special summoned, combine to make your monsters very difficult to deal with; Sonata gives nice buffs to your ATK/DEF as well).

I played during the earlier stages of the game, so Pendulum summons, XYZ, and Tuner monsters were all new to me. I like XYZ - like an easier fusion that doesn't require an extra card (polymerization), and tuner are OK, although it seems like they can get out-of-control very early in a match; Pendulum summons are still unknown to me, since I haven't played that campaign yet.

As for card pool - it's limited right now, but they are continuing to release, and it seems you can build up a deck easily enough without having to spend money, although I get that the idea is even a turn-off for some.

As for the effect on the game - I dunno. I did like YGO as it was normally, but the change in the game's structure is interesting. I've tried getting into other online card games, like Elder Scrolls Legends or Gwent, or Shadowverse, but for some reason it never quite stuck. I dunno if this version of YGO will for me, but for now at least, I feel good about it, and I want to keep playing.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby Valvatorez » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:12 am

Ah sorry, after seeing my post again, I didn't mean for it to come off as negative if it did, but I'm glad you know what I meant. I mean, in a way, I can certainly see the appeal to something you can pick up and play quickly, in the regular games, depending on what kinda deck you are up against, you may end up having to play one duel almost a half hour or more with some stall decks or something, so I can understand the casual appeal. My biggest concern is that if they are making a lot of money off of the game, they may change the regular game to something similar to Duel Links and not keep the current format the same way anymore. (An example is what EA has done to Madden, they have an Ultimate Team mode that people can buy better players with and they make a ton of money off of it, and while you don't have to pay anything, they ended up making that mode such a focal point for the newer games that the other modes like Franchise don't get much attention because they are gonna focus on what's making them the most money) So many people complained about pendulum summons and how it 'broke' the game so they changed everything to take a step back to have new 'Link' summoning. I don't know if you know about that, this completely changes the game now in that if you use something like synchros or most extra deck cards, you are almost forced to have Link cards in there now. For example, one of my favorite cards Shooting Star Dragon, is now impossible to summon unless you or your opponent are using Link cards. In the past, you could use fusion, synchro, or xyz cards if you wanted, only use one, or use none, now you pretty much have to get the Link cards if you use any of them. So if Konami is making money off the microtransactions, that makes me worry they will change the game like the example I listed above. Maybe I overthink it though :lol:

As for Legacy of the Duelist, man you have some patience if you are playing with the story decks :mrgreen: Some of them, especially in the original series, are so bad or so hard to win with that I ended up making my own deck for most of them because I couldn't stand how the decks were. I don't mind using older cards, but a lot of the cards in those decks were awful to the point where it was a steep challenge in it's own right. I have a Melodious deck as well that I use, my favorite decks to use in the games have always been synchro decks, mostly based on Shooting Star Dragon and Stardust Dragon, but I have others in there as well, and like testing out many different decks, my new favorites have been Kozmo, Amorphage and Performapal, although the last 2 are pendulums so you probably haven't dealt with those yet. I'm the same way and played pretty much since the beginning, so had to get used to some of the stuff through the different games. If you don't like tuner/synchro cards getting out of hand, you'd probably hate playing against me :lol: But if you ever did want to know about or try pendulums, I'd be glad to help or show you, you will see how useful they can be in decks, but also know quickly why so many people hated those too.

So yeah, like I said, I wasn't trying to be negative about a game I never played, I'm glad people are enjoying it and maybe that can lead more people to the real game, which will be nice as well.
Valvatorez
Sage

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:51 am

Ah sorry, after seeing my post again, I didn't mean for it to come off as negative if it did, but I'm glad you know what I meant.

No worries. The changes to the base gameplay of the card game alone is certainly enough to raise eyebrows. While XYZ, Pendulum, and Tuner cards don't seem to be out yet, Rituals (yeech) and fusions are in the game already, along with GX characters and cards. I don't know if they intend to go into further series like 5D's or not.

I don't know anything about link summoning. I hadn't heard of it before your post, and if it's in the game, I haven't seen it yet. I know good decks right now include Cyber Angels and one of the special Red Eyes dragons that keep popping up.

(Watches a brief tutorial on Link summoning)

OH GOD MONSTER POSITIONING MATTERS NOW. Finally that card Yugi used in season 1 against the brothers Paradox that swapped the position of his and Joey's monster actually matters. Except it still doesn't. :lol:

It's easy to see why they have that kind of model of micro-transaction at least; a CCG in real life is already kind of like that, gambling on packs to hopefully get good cards. There are a few things I like about the current model, namely that before you purchase packs in a set, you can look through and see all cards inside it - mostly to look at the ultra and super rares to see which cards you should be hoping for when you open them up. So this lets you at least gamble knowing there's something really valuable inside the set of your choice.

I mean, whether it's good or not is hard to say. Releasing cards over time gives the game the feel of a meta, which is good for keeping interest since the "best decks" keep rotating around. I also preferred the slower duels of old, which is at odds with the lower LP of this game, but is more in-line with the older cards that are in here too. So it's hard to say. It's almost like I can get my feet wet (again) in here without immediately jumping to ultra-competitive play like I would expect from a YGOPro. And building up a collection and the like is fun too. So I dunno.

Bush Leagues
Scholar

Return to Gamers’ Haven