"Possibly" Developing a RTK board game

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

"Possibly" Developing a RTK board game

Unread postby LordSimaYi » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:35 pm

For the past few years now I've been thinking about developing my own Romance of the Three Kingdoms based board game and I thought now was as good as a time as any to actually get going on something.

I have a few ideas but I'm mainly looking towards the community in what the game should consist of. I know that there are many games based of this theme but are in either Chinese, Japanese or Korean which is a little unfortunate for us non-speakers in the west. But those games that are in english are still good, however I'm looking for something that brings something different to the table (terrible pun).

I'm not asking for any money, or any support (heck, this whole thing might not even happen) but it would be nice to see any people who may be interested give me some feed back on my ideas:

The game will be mainly focused on the military aspect of the age.

There will be 12 provinces each containing 2-3 commandaries/cities (I haven't yet decided), this is so you can play a 3 province game on your own for 30 minutes or you can invite a load of friends over for a 12 province game.

I will try to add a good single player experience.

The game will be able to go up to 12 players.

There will be an option for players to include historical quests for in-game bonuses much like how Nobunaga's Ambiton: Sphere of influence did.

The game will stretch from 194 AD to 220/230-something and you will be able to start as early or late as you wish.

Pan Feng will not be included.

I will release a print n' play version for free before the game is release via The Game Crafter.

Each ruler will have their own skill. For example, Yuan Shao will earn more gold while Liu Bei will have more support from the people.

This game is really reliant on feedback and I will be sure to take every comment into consideration. But I do have to say that there is a chance that this may not happen, this may turn out to be WAY to much of a job or it may just not turn out as a good game.

Either way, thank you very much for reading, please reply with ANY ideas and I will try to keep you all updated in the future.
LordSimaYi
Student

Re: "Possibly" Developing a RTK board game

Unread postby DragonAtma » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:02 pm

Any particular reason you're starting with 194, not 189?

And how many rulers will be playable?
Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: "Possibly" Developing a RTK board game

Unread postby LordSimaYi » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:29 pm

DragonAtma wrote:Any particular reason you're starting with 194, not 189?

And how many rulers will be playable?

Rules keep changing and ideas keep flowing, but it's looking like Liu Bei, Cao Cao, Sun Ce, Yuan Shao, Yuan Shu, Lu Bu, Gongsun Zan, Ma Teng, Liu Zhang, Liu Biao, Li Jue and I'm stuck on the 12th. I'm thinking either Kong Rong, Zhang Yang or even the yellow turbans in some way but I'm still open for suggestions.

I'm starting at 194 because that means I won't need to make Dong Zhuo's force and all of the yellow turbans, I would like to, however if I plan to make the game run up to the three kingdoms; I need to think on what characters are necessary. I can't exactly make the game with 500 officers all with their own stats and such because players would just be overloaded with all of them, so I'm starting at 194 and plan to make 184-193 as a separate add-on as well as the later three kingdoms/ Jin dynasty stuff.

But like I say, I am still taking suggestions :)
LordSimaYi
Student

Return to Gamers’ Haven