Civilization

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Civilization

Unread postby greencactaur » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:16 am

I haven't seen any threads on Civilization, and was wondering if anyone here likes the game series? I've put over 300+ hours into Civ 5, but i'm not very good at it. I enjoy it a lot however :). I'm really excited for Civ 6! :D
greencactaur
Academic

Re: Civilization

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:50 am

I enjoy Civilization, but it's not quite what I've been looking for in my games lately. I do have quite a bit of experience with it, though.

Civ 5 was a lot of fun, and with the expansions is likely the best in the series and a very solid game. Although some civs were really under-powered compared to others because their ability or unique buildings or units are just inferior to others, it's mostly fine. Venice, for instance, although being weaker because of it's restrictions, introduces a completely new gameplay mechanic that's actually fun, so I don't mind that. The social policy trees were similar until the last update, I think, where they balanced out tradition and liberty so that it's a harder choice between the two.

I wouldn't call myself a great player, although I think I'm good. I can reliably win on King difficulty (5 of 8) and if I focus and play well, I can definitely win on Emperor a majority of the time.

I have mixed feelings about Civ 6 right now. I'm really unsure if I want to get it or not. I'd want to see a finished product before committing.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby greencactaur » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:54 am

I think CIv 6 will basically be civ 5, but with an added you'll see your cities actually expand by taking more tiles up.
I plan on buying it day 1, but that's only because I love strategy games like ROTK or Civilization :)
greencactaur
Academic

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:51 am

greencactaur wrote:I think CIv 6 will basically be civ 5, but with an added you'll see your cities actually expand by taking more tiles up.
I plan on buying it day 1, but that's only because I love strategy games like ROTK or Civilization :)

I remember picking up the game Endless Legend, as they had a similar mechanic. As the population in your cities grew (in the same manner as Civ, essentially), you could spend time to build a "district" that took up a tile and gave whatever bonuses it had. If a district bordered other districts in some kind of manner (maybe 3 other of its level; I forget), it would level up and give more bonuses.

I honestly felt, at the time, Endless Legend was just a superior version of Civilization. Aside from the notable differences of it being placed in a fantasy world, with fantasy races, and tech only encompassing the early-high middle ages, it has a different feel overall. But it included many other features I thought were strict improvements on Civ. But at the same time, it lacked mechanics like religion, so Civ still had an advantage in some respects.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Scholar

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:42 pm

I have played a few Civ games but rarely for long, I do have fond memories of one on the PS1 with amusing advisers
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby greencactaur » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:00 pm

I actually didn't know CIV was ever on PS1. Civ V was my first and only civ game i've played. I really am excited for civ 6! Day one purchase for me.
greencactaur
Academic

Unread postby DragonAtma » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:13 pm

Unless I specifically say otherwise, assume I am talking about historical Three Kingdoms, and not the novel.

In memory of my beloved cats, Anastasia (9/30/06-9/18/17, illness) and Josephine (1/19/06-9/23/17, cancer).
DragonAtma
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:54 pm

Thanks for linking to my youtube account. I need the sick hits.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Shao Shanshu » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:54 am

There was a great mod for Civ IV Beyond the Sword called The History of the Three Kingdoms. This was how it all started for me. Not anything of Koei, but this mod. As a huge fan of Rhye's and Fall of Civilization and its modmods, I was browsing for some new experience and came across the Three Kingdoms mod. It looked beautiful with the leaderheads from RoTK XI (I didn't know by then it was RoTK XI), and the whole thing was great and thematic, but I was baffled with all the new concepts (the Nine Transformations, lots of Chinese placenames, heroes and Danyang armies) and overwhelmed by tons of factions instead of civilizations (Liu Bei faction, Pass-West faction, Liangzhou faction, Cao Cao faction, Sun clan, Heisan bandits etc.).

I didn't understand a thing, somehow won the scenario with Liu Bei (crushing historical friends and enemies alike) and decided: for this to have a better flavour I need to read something about the period. Then I thought: "Loads of Wikipedia articles will do not much good, I must watch something." I found the 1990s CCTV series as the most comprehensive, and started watching. But, again, things were too complicated for an unprepared mind, so I had to check with the book at every twist of the story. Then I thought: "First I read the book, then watch the series." So I did. And in the meantime I discovered Koei.

The Civ IV mod, besides is more true to life. In Koei games my favourite Gongsun Du is always mauled by Gongsun Zan early in the game (and I almost never was able to prevent it, the cavalry is just too numerous, and I had only one city with few officers, weak defences and small army). Here, Gongsun Du has a very nice trait (something like "Recluse") that prevents factions faraway from starting a war against him, and he has some Wuhuan cities between him and Gongsun Zan in the beginning, I guess. And there's lots of time and resources to conquer Liaodong and even expand across the sea (besides, he has that small holding near Kong Rong's territory that he historically had). And Gongsun Zan is very much preoccupied with fighting Yuan Shao as he historically should be.
Last edited by Shao Shanshu on Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shao Shanshu
Apprentice

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:32 am

That is an intresting and unusual intro to three kingdoms, sounds like a goo mod (not that I play Civ I'm afraid)
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Return to Gamers’ Haven