Total War Warhammer

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: Total War Warhammer

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:45 pm

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:The Wood Elves are a lot of fun to play, however they are a really hard race for the campaign. In Warhammer 1 they have the distinct advantage of being able to colonize any territories however as they are basically outposts they are pretty much impossible to defend requiring you to field a huge amount of armies when you want to expand, which leads to the next problem of Wood Elf armies being incredibly expensive considering you only get four actual cities to fund them.

A good tactic would be a scorched earth philosophy, by razing everything you can get a huge amount of money (especially if you can raze a high level settlement) allowing you to field more armies. You can have a small force around to seed the ruins after you have wiped out a sizable amount of people ( you don't want anyone around to retake the territories)

It is really hard to fund your forces in the early campaign but once you get going you can really do a lot. Their armies are amazing in field battles and even in sieges your archers can out range defenders (not counting towers) however the lack of siege weapons (besides the rams and towers) can make taking large powerful cities rough.

Still if you can get around their weaknesses Wood Elves are a blast to play as.

When I looked for hints and tips on how to play them, raze raze raze was mentioned and has got me a lot of money. I'm someone happy to play defensive but I do plan to wipe out those southern humans so I can have an army planed to west to deal with beastmen revivals

Wow that is powerful archery. Thanks for the tips!

New DLC is Empire+Lizardmen, for those who missed it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnKhFaijBBI

The thing that most surprised me was the Empire War Wagon shown in the trailer, which was removed from the original tabletop game a very long time ago. I always liked that thing but I never thought it would make it into the game.

Free content alongside the DLC includes is a big overhaul to the Mortal Empires map that includes Empire fortress battles (similar to the High Elf gates) and an Empire rework, replacing the court with a more interesting looking Elector Count system:
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war ... beast-faq/
A preview on twitter showed that the owner of Reikland can get the famous Carroburg Greatswords as a unit.

Balthasar Gelt has been given his own subfaction, like Ungrim and Kemmler earlier; he now leads an empire faction in the southern tip of the Empire in the now-ruined province of Solland (it was destroyed long ago by a legendary Orc warboss named Gorbad Ironclaw).

I'm siding with beasts

This is the sort of thing that makes me 1) excited to play total war 2 including with the old factions with leaders in different areas, 2) waiting till game is finished to take advantage of all these updates
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:56 pm

A very cool mod for game 2 I wanted to share, it allows you to customize the spells characters with multiple lores of magic use:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... ixed+lores
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:58 am

Gray Riders wrote:A very cool mod for game 2 I wanted to share, it allows you to customize the spells characters with multiple lores of magic use:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... ixed+lores

Thanks, I'll keep that mind
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:04 pm

Liked the total war video to highlight the hunter camapign, stories of four hunters which is very much my thing and I like the sense of the governor abroad. Trying to keep support at home, trying to keep your colonies alive and deal with figures you might not back in the old lands to keep your foothold alive, relying on what your sent. Sounds different and intresting
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:34 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Liked the total war video to highlight the hunter camapign, stories of four hunters which is very much my thing and I like the sense of the governor abroad. Trying to keep support at home, trying to keep your colonies alive and deal with figures you might not back in the old lands to keep your foothold alive, relying on what your sent. Sounds different and intresting

I'm not sure if you played earlier Total War games or not, but it sounds quite similar to a mechanic used in Medieval 2's Conquistador based campaign.

Also, the Old Friends are two very popular Warhammer heroes, Gotrek and Felix:
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/total-war ... felix-faq/
Gotrek is voiced by Brian Blessed.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:16 am

I touched on some of the earlier ones but rarely played in depth

Surprised they aren't going to eventually add that to steam but they sound like fun. Will have to ensure I use them quickly with the 20 turn limit issue
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Previous

Return to Gamers’ Haven