Total War Warhammer

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: Total War Warhammer

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:58 am

Also be careful expanding North. When I tried vampires chaos hit me like a ton of bricks :lol:
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:33 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Thanks for the tips Gray, I do love Raise the Dead and grabbed Gray Guards. Got 5 provinces and going to turtle for awhile as I need to build up my cavalry forces (I got sucked into just building up east sylvnia rather then building up cavalry buildings in the west) and becuase everything feels expensive at the moment

Vampire Count economy is weak early game but skyrockets later if you build up right.
Drakenhof has gold, and once it's level 4 it can build the Vampire and Necromancer structures, which both give good income and get large boosts from research. Where it really kicks in is that Banshee and Necromancer heroes both get skills that raise income in their region, and they stack. So people use Templehof for recruitment and turn Drakenhof into a money generator with a bunch of heroes sitting there with the +income skills and building gold, crypt, and tower.

That's part of the reason VC players turtle pretty often, taking both parts of Sylvania then building until they have a great economy to fund an agressive push against the Empire.
Razing the nearby Dwarfs can be useful, but low-tier Vampire Count units against low-tier Dwarf units is a disaster waiting to happen if you don't have an ace, like tons of Vargheists or a Winds of Death capable caster ready.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:57 am

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:Also be careful expanding North. When I tried vampires chaos hit me like a ton of bricks :lol:

That was what Kislev is for :wink:

Gray Riders wrote:Drakenhof has gold, and once it's level 4 it can build the Vampire and Necromancer structures, which both give good income and get large boosts from research. Where it really kicks in is that Banshee and Necromancer heroes both get skills that raise income in their region, and they stack. So people use Templehof for recruitment and turn Drakenhof into a money generator with a bunch of heroes sitting there with the +income skills and building gold, crypt, and tower.

Been using my heroes to spread corruption but may change to using them for income gathering then
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:24 pm

When I was playing Empire I remember being at war with the vampires and having a rough time, then chaos showed up, butchered Kislev then slammed into the vampires. Well the next thing I knew not only did the vampires pay me a huge sum for a peace treaty, but then payed out the butt for an alliance against chaos :lol:
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:49 pm

So I seem to have confirmed something I suspected. The tactical AI has tunnel vision and seems to only really focus on one formation at a time.
By which I mean I was able to deploy a detached artillery battery of Organ Guns with no protection and the AI not only didn't target them, but some of their cav units passed within goblin arrow range and just ignored them, getting shot up as a result. If they get very close they'll attack, but most AI won't have enough cavalry that a battery of, say, four organ guns won't decimate them, and once the flanking cav is shattered your artillery can move into position to fire on the enemy infantry's flank. How often do you get to flank with heavy artillery?

Once the cav rallies they could hit your arillery, but 1 anti large defense infantry should be more than enough to finish up the swiss-cheese remnants of the enemy cavalry. One infantry unit to protect four (or more) artillery pieces is pretty efficent.

LiuBeiwasGreat wrote:When I was playing Empire I remember being at war with the vampires and having a rough time, then chaos showed up, butchered Kislev then slammed into the vampires. Well the next thing I knew not only did the vampires pay me a huge sum for a peace treaty, but then payed out the butt for an alliance against chaos :lol:

I don't think the game mentions it, but in Warhammer the Chaos Gods hate the undead. A vampire's soul is "stuck" on the planet, so the Chaos Gods can never, ever get it, and since most undead don't really have emotion or feeling they can't get anything out of them, either.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:37 pm

That is really interesting, I never knew that chaos hated the undead. When I get back home from visiting my grandfather in Florida I think I will start a new undead game. Even though I hate that they lack ranged units I still love undead factions. I just find them harder then the other factions to play as so I haven't used them much.
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:40 am

I feel if something is going to impact the AI like make chaos target the vampires, it should mention that though I didn't find they have particularly targeted me

I do find the lack of ranged troops make me use my flying and cavalry forces more carefully then I used to, trying to ensure extra carefully they hit the ranged forces of my opponents first. Also Manfred's quest lines are quite poor,
don't get a strong sense of personality and seems really weird it doesn't involve empire
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:31 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:I feel if something is going to impact the AI like make chaos target the vampires, it should mention that though I didn't find they have particularly targeted me

I don't think Chaos specifically targets Vampire Counts in the game; I was just mentioning they hate them in Warhammer's story.

I do find the lack of ranged troops make me use my flying and cavalry forces more carefully then I used to, trying to ensure extra carefully they hit the ranged forces of my opponents first. Also Manfred's quest lines are quite poor,
don't get a strong sense of personality and seems really weird it doesn't involve empire

Vampire Counts are probably the most different faction on the battlefield. One of it's weaknesses is they really need a very strong economy to field the sort of army they want to beat strong enemy stacks consistently--Grave Guard for the front line, plenty of Vargheists to deal with ranged, and some good shock units like cavalry or Crypt Horrors--but they take quite a while for their economy to really take off.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:35 pm

Ah sorry, misunderstood. I do think it makes sense for chaos to hate vampires and I did like the turn event where god of death smacks you with a little hit
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:02 am

The on and on nature of my gaming was driven home when I finally finished the Beastmen mini campaign. It stops being fun pretty early, sadly, since you fight the exact same enemies over, but I wanted to unlock Todbringer.

Trying the Wood Elf mini campaign, but it's tricky. My first mistake was assuming the faction that puts so much focus on archery should use it's bow units, but that proved a mistake when it turns out Wood Elves can't shoot past trees any better than everyone else can. They seem useful in the more open fields (thougn amusingly nowhere near as good as Quarellers), but it almost seems you'd need an entirely different army for the wood-heavy battles.

Taking over the other Wood Elf settlements is made tricky by them turtling up and not moving. I suppose I'll have to work on ambush baiting.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven