Total War Warhammer

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: Total War Warhammer

Unread postby Gray Riders » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:52 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:I do vaguely remember the wood elves (wasn't there dark elves?), I got the impression they and the Skaven were the most wanted. Looks like an army of mobility+range and their own mini camapign, looks fun.

Yeah, there's also Dark and High Elves.
I'm hoping Skaven are one of the starting races for the first big expansion.

I don't think it is a surprise given Bretonnia dominate the west of the map but I had concerns, before you mentioned that they have fallen out of favour, that it would be too similar to the Empire. I know the Lady of the Lake and more knight/cavalry then Empire but have the concern

What's funny/sad is that even though Bretonnia is "the cavalry faction", thanks to not being updated for so long everything I've read says their best--the Grail Knights--are worse than Blood Knights, Chaos Knights, or the various monstrous cavalry units. I know there are fan army lists for outdated armies (and armies mention but with no official book, like Araby or Cathay) and I wouldn't be shocked if CA takes a bit of inspiration from them.

To be fair that's a reasonable outcome of sticking to Arthurian Britain levels of technology during the Renaissance. Cannons don't really care how brave you are.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:34 pm

Gray Riders wrote:To be fair that's a reasonable outcome of sticking to Arthurian Britain levels of technology during the Renaissance. Cannons don't really care how brave you are.

I have known many cannons of great refinement and taste I'll have you know :wink:

I wonder if Game Workshop will use this as a chance to revive the Bretonnians in their stuff?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:57 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:I have known many cannons of great refinement and taste I'll have you know :wink:

I wonder if Game Workshop will use this as a chance to revive the Bretonnians in their stuff?

Their site apparently put all the Bretonnian models under a "last chance to buy" section earlier this year, so it seems they're gone for good. I'm not sure they expected the game's success, though, so it's possible they'll have another shot in the future.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:25 am

I wonder if there might be issues with game two if Game Workshop go "we should coordinate so when they add new factions, we have sales/updated rosters ready" and it turns into interference.

Started dwarfs, I really like how different it feels from the looks of the cities, the way empire technology for example is building related and groups of three vs dwarf having two lines that spiral into hundreds and hundreds of options that are interconnected, the grudge system (I can also see that being annoying), going underground. Even starting position, with empire one can make friends with your south and east easily, be wary of goblins from west and plow everything into the north once you have pacified Reikland. This time, "goblins to the north of me, Orcs to the south" and way Bloody Spears are set up, lures you into both fronts.

Also read some of the bits I had missed in the empire descriptions in manual, was fun seeing how corrupt the system is and how dangerous the woods are.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:54 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:I wonder if there might be issues with game two if Game Workshop go "we should coordinate so when they add new factions, we have sales/updated rosters ready" and it turns into interference.

Unless they bring Warhammer Fantasy Battle back I don't expect trouble with that.

Started dwarfs, I really like how different it feels from the looks of the cities, the way empire technology for example is building related and groups of three vs dwarf having two lines that spiral into hundreds and hundreds of options that are interconnected, the grudge system (I can also see that being annoying), going underground. Even starting position, with empire one can make friends with your south and east easily, be wary of goblins from west and plow everything into the north once you have pacified Reikland. This time, "goblins to the north of me, Orcs to the south" and way Bloody Spears are set up, lures you into both fronts.

Dwarfs are interesting; some people find them very hard, others very easy. In my case their battle style meshed very well with me so things went well enough. My biggest problem was that Warhammer is very rush based compared to the older Total War games I've played (which I'm not really happy about) so Archaon started coming before I'd finished uniting the south.

Also read some of the bits I had missed in the empire descriptions in manual, was fun seeing how corrupt the system is and how dangerous the woods are.

I bought the game on Steam and they don't even provide a PDF of the manual. :(
Edit: There's one now, I see. I swear it wasn't there when I first bought the game...

Empire was one of the factions I had the fourth edition Army Book for. Fourth edition empire was interesting because you could pretty much field a full army with only a single human in it (your general), the rest made up of dwarfs, ogres, halflins, and huge monsters (monsters had much wider availability back then--Empire could use Wyverns and Manticores). In fact from what I've read a "competitive" Empire army back then would limit humans to heroes and knights, with the rest being the aforementioned dwarfs, ogres, and halflings.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:59 pm

Dwarfs are interesting; some people find them very hard, others very easy. In my case their battle style meshed very well with me so things went well enough. My biggest problem was that Warhammer is very rush based compared to the older Total War games I've played (which I'm not really happy about) so Archaon started coming before I'd finished uniting the south.

Yeah, that can be frustrating. I'm a bit uncertain about the grudge system, most of it is fine but there is a vampire lord I now have to chase a long way just to get that off the books

Gray Riders wrote:I bought the game on Steam and they don't even provide a PDF of the manual. :(
Edit: There's one now, I see. I swear it wasn't there when I first bought the game...

Glad you found it

Gray Riders wrote:Empire was one of the factions I had the fourth edition Army Book for. Fourth edition empire was interesting because you could pretty much field a full army with only a single human in it (your general), the rest made up of dwarfs, ogres, halflins, and huge monsters (monsters had much wider availability back then--Empire could use Wyverns and Manticores). In fact from what I've read a "competitive" Empire army back then would limit humans to heroes and knights, with the rest being the aforementioned dwarfs, ogres, and halflings.

I think for Total War, glad they didn't go down that route but for Warhammer, that does sound fun
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:17 pm

Two new empire wizards (seems a bit late in the day to do that) out.

Finished dwarf camapign, got slayer king quests to do. I did like the ability to go underground to make up for slow speed, the sheer wealth of the dwarfern realms, that there is a little hold up in the northern mountains to hunt down and absorb. I enjoyed the gyrocopters but the dwarf style of stubborn defence, grind down and using ranged as part of a slug match very much suits my style.
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:24 pm

I liked the dwarven campaign too, the only real problem the grudge system gave me was involving the agents. I am not the best in leveling up my Agents apparently. I generally use them to accompany the army and occasionally raid the enemies lands for resources. So near the end game when high level Chaos agents were hitting me again and again and causing more and more grudges to appear my lowly agents kept failing to kill them.
Caused me a lot of frustration at the time but still had fun with it. Was really relieved when I finally got rid of my last grudge. Of course when the main Chaos faction was destroyed and their agents vanished that helped a lot :P
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:31 pm

What I think is one of the game's huge problems; enemy AI loves agent spamming, so all your own agents need to be assassins and not much else, and they need to be constantly carrying out useless missions to level-grind.
Edit: The patch notes. People have been complaining that 90% of magic is useless since launch, and CA spring into action by...nerfing magic again.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Fri Dec 09, 2016 10:05 pm

Got the Elf expansion and tried out their campaign. I haven't played in a while so either I am very rusty or this campaign is quite hard.
I took over a pair of abandoned castles and began fortifying the area to gain resources. I made some alliances to gain some amber, so far so good. I occasionally got messages warning me about an invasion of beastmen from the far west but I thought to myself, bah, who cares there are several factions between them and me no problem I have plenty of time to prepare and besides, I wasn't swimming in money or anything. I had two armies each with around 10-12 units in them I am good for a bit.
Well apparently the game thought I had plenty of time to prepare cause suddenly I had 3 beastmen armies each with 20 units in them right in the middle of my territory (i have enemy turns turned off to make things faster). Well, I guess I am boned huh?
I assigned my allies to attack them but sadly the beastmen went first and slapped my wussy armies aside and burned down my giant tree granting me a well deserved losing game over :lol:
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven