Total War Warhammer

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: Total War Warhammer

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:00 am

Curse the game's "one more turn" feeling, curse it!

Question for the longer term, my plan after doing chaos is to do white drawf camapign to do his quest line but not the full camapign but then do I do mini camapigns or main camapigns first for elves and beastmen? I get the impression full camapign?

With chaos beaten, bribed the pirates in north to leave me alone so I gobbled up ruins and now at war with empire remnant and dwarfs. I sort of get, from little hints here and there (ditto Bretonia), why vampires want to destroy dwarfs but having destroying them as a long camapign demand... it requires sending your troops into long range camapigns in dwavern lands if the orcs in south suck (which they do when I'm not playing them) with dwarfs have near utter control of their south. Which means attrition which means retreating back to your own lands quickly. Might be first time I decide to invade those pacificits in the south so I can use that as a base for vampiric growth that will hopefully reach the dwarvern lands
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Gray Riders » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:23 pm

Despite being listed as harder by the start screen, I find the Von Carstein may actually be easier than the regular Vampire Counts. Foremost among the reasons is not having to wipe out the Dwarfs. It might be best to go for a Short campaign victory for the sake of your sanity.

Question for the longer term, my plan after doing chaos is to do white drawf camapign to do his quest line but not the full camapign but then do I do mini camapigns or main camapigns first for elves and beastmen? I get the impression full camapign?

The beastmen mini is the same general game as their grand campaign, but with less enemy variety (basically only Empire--there's other Beastmen and Greenskins but they won't bother you) and very passive AI--unless you start a war the AI only declares on you when scripted to. Only real reason to play it is unlocking Boris Todbringer for custom battle.

The Wood Elf campaign is different. Unlike the grand campaign they have normal-sized settlements across a map instead of a few huge ones and a bunch of tiny outposts. It also starts out with a ton of razed settlements. I think it was generally regarded as a big improvement over the beastmen one.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:50 am

I might end up doing that if I start babbling or dreaming of killing dwarfs :wink:

Sounds like I should do the mini camapigns first and keep a gap before doing full camapigns (which I was planning to anyway)
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:23 am

Every once in a while, something that sounds mad turns out to be genius.

I was looking for advice on the Crooked Moon campaign because of the difficulty of fighting Dwarfs with Goblins before you get access to Squigs or more Fanatics, and found this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpj4sS7xr9k

My first thought for what I had to do was pretty far from "forget regular infantry, recruit a ton of goblin archers and use THEM as your front line", and yet here we are.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:38 am

So, nothing special just something I found funny. I am replaying the Empire Campaign and i started making Wizards, apparently I had never recruited an Amber Wizard before because I never noticed this. Sometimes when I click him he says something to the extent of "I'm a Wizard" and every time I just picture Hagrid from Harry Potter announcing that he is a Wizard and it makes me chuckle.
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:24 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR1YNhPqpDs
Warhammer 2 dev commentery on the trailer.

I have no idea how they intend to make it possible to lose the game through the vortex but also insist you don't have to do the vortex quests. If you can lose the game through it than ignoring it and trying to win by domination is simply a bad idea because it'll probably take longer, and taking a longer way while your enemy is going for the fast way is a poor plan.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:12 am

Yeah I assume if you ignore the vortex, your putting yourself at a disadvantage. Maybe not a crippling one but one the none the less
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:04 pm

The other issue is that considering how Legendary Lord quest, Amber, and the "Peasant Economy" are all disabled for the AI I wouldn't put good odds on the AI actually having to do anything for the quests; it'll probably just advance through stages automatically at a semi-random pace, pretty much turning it into a randomized time limit.

EDIT:
Lizardmen in-engine trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3CmxjTFv_Y
Mean elf picking on a poor Skink at 1:35. Luckily he gets his comeuppance.

Seems the second Lizardmen Legendary Lord will be Kroq-Gar.
So we know both for Lizardmen and High Elves. Dark Elves seems fairly likely the second will be Morathi.
We still don't know either for Skaven, though the "1 fighter 1 mage" tendency makes the combo of Thanquol and Queek Headtaker still seem fairly likely.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat May 13, 2017 8:12 am

I liked the way they did the aerial swoops in that, pretty good trailer
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon May 15, 2017 2:05 am

We may have a release date for the Old Friend free dlc:
https://steamdb.info/app/364360/dlc/
This unidentified update appeared recently and says it releases on the 24th.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven