Total War Warhammer

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: Total War Warhammer

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:09 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXtn_cpUQdQ
Skaven Clan Mors campaign gameplay! Live thoughts:

*As expected Skaven stats are quite a bit lower than the tabletop game; Stormvermin have lower attack/defense than Empire Halbers (they have better weapon skill in the tabletop) but their armor is 90. All Skaven infantry so far are 160 man units. They're called "Storm Vermin (halberds)" so looks like other variants will be present.
*Skaven upkeep is obscenely low. Stormvermin at 80, Clanrats at 35. Warpfire thrower and Rat Ogres are 180 though.
*Rat Ogres have 16 in a unit. I wonder if other Monstrous Infantry is getting bigger groups?
*Menace below--summoned units degrade over time
What.
*Haven't seen Queek's stats yet.
*Menace Below looks cool, with an effect of a tunnel breaking open and the Clanrats charging out.
*Classic Skaven gameplay is demonstrated as the summoned Clanrats are used to mob up elven troops so the Warpfire Throwers can wipe both sides out with it's fire.
*Still haven't seen Queek's stats but he's ripping that Elven Lord in half in their fight.
*Skaven captives options are "sell off" (standard money-for-replenishment), Enslave (gains food and morale), and "Eat Captives", just like Greenskins and Beastmen.
*Skavenslaves are recruited from the base settlement buildings.
*Apparently the Skaven Deathrunner is it's own unit judging by the skill tree--Deathrunners are Gutterrunner's unit champions so this is probably similar to Chaos' Exalted Champions--a small unit of hero-type soldiers.
*Queek's looking pretty powerful with his unique tree.
*Found Queek's stats on another video:
120 armor
70 leadership
40 speed
65 attack
40 defense
420 damage (AP marker)
50 charge
Duelist tag (zero surprise).
*So when Skaven occupy a settlement they spend Food to determine it's starting level.
*Settlement Garrisons sometimes now include Heroes--the level 3 minor Skaven has a Warlock Engineer in the garrison.
*Seems most of the weapon teams are missing--we have the Warpfire and the Poison Wind, I think. Perhaps the others will be part DLC with Ikit Claw?

Edit:
Apparently Dark Elves have their "Black Ark" ships, which function as mobile bases with 10 building slots that can use naval bombardment to support land invasions.

Edit 2:
A beta patch for the first game is availabe. Apparently the new chaos techs only increasing replenishment in friendly territory was a bug.
https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comme ... ix_opt_in/

Edit 3:
Skaven roster information:
https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comme ... eal_notes/
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:01 pm

Skaven look pretty awesome. I really need to upgrade my computer so I can feel more confident about getting it :lol:
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:08 pm

Dark Elf campaign gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7e3jCd62C0
At least it looks like my worries of the vortex making the campaign very short seem unlikely if they're at less than half 70 turns in.

The new of "intervention" forces means "walls EVERYWHERE" will if anything hold more true in Warhammer II than it did in I.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:58 pm

Sorry been so long

Map video: It looks huge, the danger for me is I'll get absorbed in conquering my own island, lots of factions to fight and ally with, seems like so much to do. I like that each lord starts at a very different place with a very different challenge which should keep it fresh vs "starts at altdorf, starts at altdorf, starts at altdorf" (not that I mind because I'm still playing Warhammer 1 with much left to do).

Dark Elves: I like the sense of personality like slaves and needing to manage that carefully, seems like they have built up the naval portions of the game so that will be a first for me, like the look of "oh shipwrecked stuff, go nab". The ritual stuff was interesting, feels like it gives one a sense to target certain cities and some pace though not too quick, wall everything will remain a key plan, I like that "ok, you start ritual, you will need to be prepared to go onto the defensive for a time". I like the army camps in siege battles and how bombardment can really give you an advantage (so will be looking to build up my navy quickly)
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:26 am

I am really looking forward to the upcoming game, I haven't preordered it at the moment as I really dislike preordering games. However it is so far my most anticipated game since I found out that my computer can run it. My video card is exactly the one on the recommended specs :lol:
The Dark Elf video was nice but I am really looking forward to Skaven. Also having the factions from the first game in this one really expands the number of factions plus whatever DLC they make in the future makes me excited. I am getting a bit bored of the first game, need more variety, I have beaten the game with every faction (except Beastmen and Norsca don't own them) several times so I want me some more Elves, Lizardmen, and Ratmen :D
"If you can't drink a lobbyist's whiskey, take his money, sleep with his women and still vote against him in the morning, you don't belong in politics."
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:29 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mknieWm0P8
High Elf campaign gameplay, showing off their ability to make factions like or dislike each other.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby LiuBeiwasGreat » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:08 pm

Looks good, I am looking forward to playing each and every faction in this game.

Though, I will say, I disliked the Old Man being the advisor to every faction in the first game, and I dislike him being the advisor to every faction in this game as well.
LiuBeiwasGreat
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:14 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzegC_t59f4
Lizardmen campaign gameplay.

So, the Norsca DLC added the Fimir, notable for being one of Warhammer's few "this only exists in Warhammer" races. They apparently have an interesting history! They were something of a combination of the "Broo" from Glorantha and the Fomorians of Irish mythology, but they were not very popular. Part of their lack of popularity is because they were statted to be somewhat larger than humans, but were given models with the size (and price) of Ogres and other monstrous troops, making them overly expensive to field, both in point costs and real money spent. Also perhaps contributing to their lack of use later on is that they reproduced through kidnapped human women.
They were dropped after third edition, the one they were created for, but unlike a number of other dropped concepts they still existed in the Warhammer world.

The supplement Storm of Magic brought them back, and Forgeworld eventually released new models for Fimir warriors, and they now have a presence in Age of Sigmar.

The Fimir's appearance in the game is odd, as they don't worship the main four Chaos gods and they don't usually like humans, so Norsca are an odd choice for them--possibly, they are mostly there for Throgg, but Norsca has a number of odd units in it's roster.
Interestingly, I've read they have non-hostile relations with the Norscan Dwarfs.

In terms of "in universe" history, apparently the Wasteland (Marienburg's province) was the result of a magical cataclysm caused during a war between the Fimir and the Skaven.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sakae Wu » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:03 am

Gray Riders wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzegC_t59f4
Lizardmen campaign gameplay.

He does a good job explaining things I think. I've watched a playthrough by Lionheart which was pretty entertaining but a little hard to grasp what was going on sometimes.
I haven't tried any of the Total War games, but it seems very interesting. Is there a steep learning curve for first timers?

I like how all the factions seems to have certain specialties. Like Bretonnia's cavalry and Wood Elves with their Treekin.
Sakae Wu
Student

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:22 pm

Sakae Wu wrote:He does a good job explaining things I think. I've watched a playthrough by Lionheart which was pretty entertaining but a little hard to grasp what was going on sometimes.
I haven't tried any of the Total War games, but it seems very interesting. Is there a steep learning curve for first timers?

I like how all the factions seems to have certain specialties. Like Bretonnia's cavalry and Wood Elves with their Treekin.

It's hard for me to say how steep it is since I started with the very first game and don't really remember how hard it was. The game does have quite a bit of information to learn and track though recent games have simplified the campaign layer significantly by doing things like removing the ability for units to move on their own and mashing cities together into the controversial province system.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven