Total War Warhammer

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: Total War Warhammer

Unread postby Gray Riders » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:10 am

Dong Zhou wrote:I believed you but went to double check it sounded so odd and yeah, seems a bad move. I imagine Isabella (same one as the handsome one from chaos talks about?) was a wanted add and she does get quite a few mentions but overall it seems badly planned. The other factions have 3 at most of the top of my head and split their factions when it gets more, could that not have been done with the Vampires?

Seems Isabelle and Vlad are splitting off and taking over what used to be Schwartzhafen, so there is a split planned.
If they're limiting each faction to three legendary lords it leaves a few people out of luck, though; it'd be weird for Kurt Helborg to be anyone except the main Empire.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:15 pm

Interesting change, wonder if that will encourage people to replay the vampires and how much that would change the starrt

Gray Riders wrote:If they're limiting each faction to three legendary lords it leaves a few people out of luck, though; it'd be weird for Kurt Helborg to be anyone except the main Empire.

Maybe rotate their lords for warhammer 2?
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:12 pm

Total War won so we get Isabella for free
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:40 pm

So over on reddit the devs confirmed Isabella is the free legendary lord from the future content blog array; they were "pretty sure" they would win the contest and did not have a plan for what they'd do if they lost.

That leaves "an old friend". Current main guesses I've seen are Boris Toddbringer and Krell--but will we really get another vampire character?

Edit: I have confirmed my theory that Greenskin factions are specifically set to Confederate easily with stronger factions. It explains why the old Red Fang confederation trick works and why Wurrzag can recruit the Scabby Eyes on turn 2 or 3 so often.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:00 pm

Looks like Bretonia is going to be very different, very much a "if the Empire is Holy Romances, this is feudal land with mix of Arthurian legends" seems like the way camapign ends is going to be very different as events start when get enough chivalry. Will be intresting as I said before if this revives them in the table top game
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:46 pm

Apparently the patch fixed the issue where units with over 200 men crash the game.

I don't know what the new crash limit is, just that I saw a screenshot of 400 man greatsword units.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:34 am

Done the orc quests and just need one or two cities to finish the camapign so think safe to post my views now

I liked fighting as the green skins, the black orcs made a powerful infantry unit, lots of mobility options which help counter lack of really good ranged, the big spiders fun. The units might not hold well but being quick to rally meant I usually had unintended reinforcements that might turn the tide. Forces you to use raiding which is useful but I don't think I'll be using it much in other camapigns in truth, I prefer to just march through lands. Lots of personality in the quest lines (whereas the dwarf king lacked that, though slayer king had personality), the mini stuff gave sense of violent infighting groups, the rough language and the personality came out for both Grimgor and Azahg (whose crown/insanity I really enjoyed) had personality in their speeches
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:20 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Done the orc quests and just need one or two cities to finish the camapign so think safe to post my views now
I liked fighting as the green skins, the black orcs made a powerful infantry unit, lots of mobility options which help counter lack of really good ranged, the big spiders fun. The units might not hold well but being quick to rally meant I usually had unintended reinforcements that might turn the tide. Forces you to use raiding which is useful but I don't think I'll be using it much in other camapigns in truth, I prefer to just march through lands. Lots of personality in the quest lines (whereas the dwarf king lacked that, though slayer king had personality), the mini stuff gave sense of violent infighting groups, the rough language and the personality came out for both Grimgor and Azahg (whose crown/insanity I really enjoyed) had personality in their speeches

The greenskin army is fun. Black Orcs, factoring in cost, might be the most effective infantry in the game, since most of the better ones are much more expensive. AP cavalry in very nice. Doom Divers are also some of the better arc-firing artillery--Hell Cannons are probably better on smaller unit sizes.

Azhag is just weirdly done. I've heard it said (maybe confirmed) he wasn't originally intended to be in the game at all and was thrown in to replace Wurrzag (who we were told before release would be added), which is why he starts in the wrong part of the map, has a terrible starting army, and has his backstory changed significantly.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:59 am

What is his usual backstory in Warhammer?
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:50 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:What is his usual backstory in Warhammer?

The broad strokes are similar but they changed the details pretty heavily.

In Warhammer Azhag was a minor Warboss from Troll Country up by Kislev. One day his band was attacked by Chaos Warriors and fled into the ruins of Todtheim (Orcs are not even close to the apex predator up there). Being corrupted by Chaos, the ruins of Todtheim were...unpleasant. There he eventually got attacked by a mutated chaos troll, but a "minor" warboss is still a super-strong killing machinem; he won, pursued it to it's lair, and killed it. There he found the crown of sorcery and, having no idea what it was, put it on and gained the crown's powers and corrupting influence. From there he united the greenskin tribes in troll country, moved into the mountains around Red Eye and took over them too, then attacked the Empire, ravaging Ostermark until he was killed by the Grandmaster of the Knights Panther (the Crown wanted to go south, was sick of going around in the Empire, and tried to take full control of him, this distracted him Azhag and gave the Grandmaster an opening). The Empire recognized the crown and now has it locked away safely.

In the game he's in the badlands working for Grimgor Ironhide for some reason (they do mention he was from troll country), goes north to Todtheim after hearing rumors of treasure, finds the crown, then comes back to the badlands, and goes randomly fight Bretonnia for a bit. The general idea of him finding the crown in Todtheim remaind, but it went from an accident to a treasure hunt and puts him in the wrong part of the map for the bulk of his career; notably in actual Warhammer he fought the Empire while in Total Warhammer it's the Dwarfs.

I've seen it suggested someone over at CA/Sega insisted they needed a compact faction select screen, which is why we only had one start position per faction even when it led to things like Ungrim not leading the Karak he's king of, and the outcry is why they started splitting them up later on. If we're lucky Ungrim and Azhag will eventually be moved to where they should be.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven