How have your gaming habits changed over the years?

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

How have your gaming habits changed over the years?

Unread postby James » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:38 pm

I've been thinking about this lately. It seems much of adult life pulls in a direction that leads away from the enjoyable pastimes we 'wasted' so much of our youth on, but I've always gone out of my way to spend some of my time doing things I enjoy.

It also ties into our forum, given that many of us joined to talk about games we enjoyed. Good thing SoSZ is focused on more than just the gaming aspect of Three Kingdoms? And some of us have been around long enough, now, that our lives have changed in pretty considerable ways while this online community has remained rather the same.

Probably what is most interesting is that many of us here have some things in common which we might not necessarily encounter often in the world around us, least of which might be a fondness for the Three Kingdoms in a western country. So how has your interest in games evolved over the years?
Kongming’s Archives – Romance of the Three Kingdoms Novel, History and Games
“ They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
  — Ben Franklin
James
Sausaged Fish
Sausaged Fish

Re: How have your gaming habits changed over the years?

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:16 am

I would have to say my interest in games has devolved over the years. As a teen and in my early twenties I always wondered if I'd ever get tired of gaming and if so when. I may very well be at my crossroads. With family, work, and school consuming the lion share of my time, I pretty much reserve everything else for exercise and running. I haven't played a game in so many months I couldn't tell you the last game I played... Then again it was likely RTK XI or FF IX.

I see new games release like GTA V and somewhere deep down inside I say to myself I'd really like to buy and play it but never do. Maybe games like Madden will probably be the extent of my gaming going forward. Either way, the only way I see myself getting back any of that gamer's itch is when school is out the picture which won't be for about three years...

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:13 am

Being in my early thirties now I don't spend as much time gaming as before. Just not enough time as there's a fulltime job, parttime studies and a house to look after. Still I always manage to get an hour or so to play daily. Maybe it's just an addiction :lol: However I stay away from any kind of online gaming.
In terms of the game preferences nothing has really changed really. I always try to get my hands on the latest installments of Warriors or RTK series by KOEI, Elder Scrolls by Bethesda and Way of the Samurai series by Acquire. I usually check on the rpgs as well although I never replay the linear rpgs such as FF13 or Dragon's Age Origins.
Retired...
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:35 am

I've shifted more to online PC and portable games. I find it harder to enjoy console games now as they feel like they require more of a time investment for me each time I sit down to play. With online games, I can play a game (of say League of Legends), then do some work, then play another game, then do some homework, etc. Of course there are times when I just do an all-out gaming binge of several hours in a row, but I don't do it as much as in the past since I have to actually study and try to make some money too.

Portable games are much more convenient for me than console games. It's simple to pick up my 3DS, plug away a bit at Fire Emblem Awakening or Theatrhythm or whatever else and then go back to doing other things. I have a PS3 and Wii but have a hard time justifying sitting down and playing them to myself. I'm not sure I'll even bother with the next gen of consoles since I barely dabbled with this one.

I probably spend more time playing video games than a lot of the other members here since I only do part time work, but on a personal note my gaming time has decreased a tad. I also spend substantially less money on games than before. I used to buy or rent numerous games. Now I'll buy something like 2-5 games a year and sometimes even less.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:04 am

Jordan wrote:Now I'll buy something like 2-5 games a year and sometimes even less.

My friend, at least you can say that. :lol: I've probably purchased that many games (5) over the last three years. In fact, the last game I purchased was Tales of Vesperia over a year ago...

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:59 am

Yeah, when you do full time work it's really hard to find the time to play games. When you have other social commitments and responsibilities, it's hard to justify dropping cash on games as well, even though games are pretty cheap in comparison to practically all other expenses. If I'm really busy, sometimes I'll spend money on a game only to find I never play it. Since that's happened to me a few times now, I barely buy any games anymore. Since I have a lot more free time than most I can still enjoy the luxury from time to time, but I can understand you not bothering considering your much more active lifestyle.

I'm in my early twenties and I've come to a similar point as you were in before. I've wondered multiple times if there would come an age where I gave up gaming altogether. It hasn't come yet but I'm definitely diminishing the habit. I actually don't really want to give up gaming. I think I'll continue doing it but in a lot more moderation than before. Sometimes I'll consider playing something but then suddenly lack motivation when I consider work piling up, backlogs of books, the need to hit the gym now and then or the need to study for my classes.

Another thing I find is that I almost never finish games anymore. I play them for a fair bit and then give up halfway or 3/4 of the way through because I find myself busy with something else.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:26 am

The one thing I have is time and at the moment I can afford games. Not proud of that

Feels like the way I have brought games has really changed in last few years. I like to wait 6 months or longer for the price to drop but while I was always prepared to wait for GOTY versions to combine the expansion packs, seems those are coming less frequent and I know have to take into account the price of 1-3 DLC for nearly every game which is frustrating.

In terms of types of games, with possible exception of DW's, stopped getting the yearly games like Fifa and Football Manager. More willing to try... unusual games like Catherine, Portal and Valkyria Chronicles, play far less shooters, Bayonetta like games and platformers then I did as a kid as I more look for stories now. Tend to veer away from open world rpg's like the Elder Scrolls series but more and more getting into RPG's or JRPG's these days thanks to NWN and FFX respectively, seeing me going through old classics like Mass Effect that I missed in my childhood.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:35 pm

Interestingly enough I find grindfest in games very enjoyable now that I can barely afford to play more than an hour non-stop. Feels like a job though :lol: Forge yourself a weapon in DW8 Ambition mode then...off to sleep :) Next day another weapon.
I really enjoy playing Skyrim and Oblivion as the game time/real time ratio is roughly 1hour/1 minute meaning you can perfectly 'live' every day of both games....every day of real life without hurting the latter.
Retired...
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Aaron.K » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:40 pm

I find lately I've become even more pickier in terms of what sort of games I play and enjoy. Back when I was younger, I'd play just about anything; regardless of the genre or even if it was a bad game.

These days because I just have less and less free time, I've become more selective, and go for things that really interest or captivate me in engrossing ways, and for the most part that means games that try to be simulations of what they're intending to accomplish. So for example when I was younger, I'd be totally hooked on say Call of Duty or Battlefield, whereas now I'm much more willing to simply skip those titles entirely and go to something like ARMA II or Red Orchestra 2 which are very much simulations in regards to shooters as opposed to arcade titles.

Another thing which I've really gotten into recently are roguelikes. I find I don't really enjoy RPGs all that much anymore (Fallout and the Elder Scrolls series are exceptions), if they're not roguelikes. By that I mean randomly generated worlds, which have randomly generated items within the world. You might find a potion in one game, and it's a "red potion" and that might heal you. But then you'll start up a new game after you die (because in these games dead is dead and you don't just re-load the save), you might find a "red potion" but instead it's poison and could insta-kill you. I really enjoy that randomness in these types of games, and the fact that they allow you to create your own stories rather than being forced to go in any one set way by a developer. So in terms of examples, I'd rather play Dwarf Fortress: Adventure Mode or UnReal World over say Kingdoms of Amalur, or Dragon's Dogma.

Likewise with "hack & slash" titles. I have found myself not really caring much for the Dynasty or Samurai Warriors titles anymore, because they don't really offer anything fulfilling for me. I find them to be ridiculously easy in terms of offering a challenge. That's not to say I don't enjoy them or think they're bad games, it's just if I had the choice to pick them or something else, I'd say 10 times out of 10 I'd pick something else. And that something else would likely be Mount and Blade: Warband and it's many iterations of mods that have been created for it. The combat against the AI is just so much more rewarding for me (especially on the hardest difficulty and having manual/directional block turned on), because it feels like you're accomplishing something in a battle. You can order your troops to do movements on a battlefield, and honestly it's the first time in a long while where in a game I could theoretically re-create historical events in a manner that is feasible by performing adequate tactics. I could actually re-create Zhang Liao's defense of He Fei in it in a manner that would likely not at all be dissimilar to what he did in real life. And it's just that sort of thing that makes me admire the game. Not to mention the competitive scene within the multiplayer. That in itself is just something else, and it's hard to describe the feeling that you get when you're just doing awesome in a round. You somewhat feel like you're the avatar of Ares himself. It truly has to be experienced to really know what its like though.
"Why have you come to Jotunheim all alone?"
Aaron.K
Master

Unread postby Sun Fin » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:00 pm

The fact that I haven't bought a game console since my PS2 says a lot I think. I now only really play console games socially, like FIFA and COD with my flat mates. I still play some games on portable consoles like Pokémon and Doodle Jump when I'm on holiday or watching TV etc but that’s about all I manage now.
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Gamers’ Haven