Used Games, Industry killer or Gaming Savior?

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Do you purchase used games

Yes, whenever i can
46%
Yes, if its the only way to get the game
23%
Occasionally, if i'm not sure if i will like the game
No votes
No, i'd rather have the new copy
23%
Absolutely not, i think this is a terrible thing
8%

Total votes : 13

Used Games, Industry killer or Gaming Savior?

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:01 pm

This has become quite the hot topic in the gaming world lately. Are used games killing the game industry? We all know piracy is a bad thing for developers. But what about preowned games? The people making the game dont get a cent from this. At least with piracy the pirates need to jump through all sorts of hoops and still are at risk of getting popped. But with used games everything is above board. But the people making these games still lose out. Its such a problem that many developers have started using the Online Pass where only new copies can play online for free while preowned copies must purchase the online pass for a price making the money saved on the game irrelevant.

Some devs like Bethesda have tried combating this by offering premium DLC that they think will keep people from selling their copies. But will this really work. Go into gamestop and ask how many used copies of skyrim they have.

Now i used to get the occasional used game. But the more i released what was going on the quicker i stopped. I still will buy used games occasionally, but only on certain types of games. The last used game i bought was COD MW2. I think we can all agree that Activision deserves to get the ****ty end of the stick in most cases.
Oh my my, oh hell yes, your gettin buried in your party dress.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Used Games, Industry killer or Gaming Savior?

Unread postby rcsha » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:29 pm

I admit it, I'm a hypocrit on this issue. I don't like the way Gamestop and other stores make such huge profits off of selling used games. Gamestop and their ilk make way more selling a used game than they do selling a new game. Look at this...
Awesome Game: Awesomer Deux must be bought from the production company H8RS for $45 for the company to make a profit. H8RS sells 500,000 copies of the game to retailers like Gamestop, making a grand total of 22,500,000 dollars (that's $22.5 million). It cost them 15 million to produce the game; so they've made a profit of $7.5 million at the end of the game's release; that's the equivalent of $15 per game sold.

Now Gamestop sells the game for $60, with an overhead cost equivalent to $5 per game (utility bills, rent, employee pay and benefits, etc.). So they make a profit of $10 per game, or a total of $5 million. They then buy that game back for $25, and sell it for $55, used; profit of $25 per resale (including $5 overhead cost). If they resold half of their copies, that'd be 250 thousand games at a profit of $6,250,000, a million and a quarter more than they made from the initial release...none of which goes back to the original developer or producer.

Here's the inherent problem: Used games are cheaper. Why pay $60 for a game that you can get for $55?

Add in the techniques that companies like Gamestop uses to try to force you to buy used games over new ones. You can return a used game for exact price in store credit. But a new game can't be returned unless it doesn't work, in which case you can only trade it back for the same game (and they send the defective copy back to H8TRS for a refund, themselves); no instead you can only trade it in for $25 store credit, or $15 cash.

I'll give you an example...
I bought a DS game for $29.99 from Gamestop, they didn't have any used copies so I bought it new. It was pretty shitty, so I returned it. They told me since I'd bought new, i.e. paid them more money than if I'd bought used, I couldn't return it. I told them I understood it couldn't be sold as new anymore, and that I'd be willing to take the reduced amount of the used game price in store credit (I'd have gone lower, too; I understand it's business).
They gently informed me my only choices were to keep the game or trade it in for $2.10. After paying me a tenth of what I paid them for it, they would then put it back on the shelf for $25.99, used.

Keep in mind that I didn't buy this game actually new. I pulled an empty case off the shelf, shrink-wrap already removed, and somebody reached behind the desk to pull out a cartridge and place it in my empty box. There was no gaurantee that it was actually new and unplayed. Anybody could have opened that box and sneezed in the manual for all I knew, anybody who worked there could have already beaten the game on their breaks and snuck it back under the desk once done.
I worked with a guy a couple years back who used to be an Assisstant Manager at a Gamestop. He said that the copany's policy was pretty much, fi you don't damage the disc...you can take it home and play it, as long as you return it undamaged. If you damage it, you have to pay full price for it, of course. But if you damaged a new copy, you could just replace it with a used disc that wasn't damaged and claim you took the used game home and used-game price for it, and the guy buying the 'new' game, either way, is actually buying used.
He also said they were encouraged to swindle customers who were trading in games. He told me a story of a mother who's son had gone off to college and she was cleaning out the stuff he'd left behind in his room...contained within the stuff was a copy of FF 7. They tested it, it worked great, the manual and original jewel case were in perfect condition. They told her it was popular once, but they'd made a bunch of newer games and told her it was only worth $5 trade in. She took the $5 bucks (actually less, because she took the cash buy-out) and they put it on the shelf for $95 dollars...it sold the next day.
And Squaresoft made $0 on the sale in that example, too.

So I wholeheartidly support things like...new game DLC or needing to buy an online pass to play it online if you bought it used. If I produce a wristwatch and you buy it, used, from some street vendor in the park...why should I give you free batteries when you find out they're missing?
Dickjutsu.com
The Bruce Lee of Dickery.
rcsha
Ao Kaio Nankou

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:29 am

Another thing that is supposedly starter soon is next gen consoles blocking used games. I'm all for this to a point. I think that it should lock brand new games out for a year. At that point games start dropping in price usually. So by then the new games price has decreased.

I dont really understand how this would work and dread thinking about what would happen to rental companies like netflix and what happens if gamestop sells me a used copy as a new copy.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:51 pm

I tend to wait a long while for prices to drop then buy depending on price, when finished we send it to amazon for a credit voucher. Worried that if games are to be download only, the prices will never go down.

If a new game rather then used will get me DLC for just a few extra bucks then I go for the new game. Have no issue with game companies doing such DLC's to ensure people either buy new or at least give some money to them. Having some problems with the dragon age Origins dlc's since it is three users on one computer but otherwise, we find the down-loadable stuff for PC or PS3 is fine.
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby DynastyWarriors6 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:31 pm

Used games will eventually be gone in probably the next 5 to 10 years easily. Firstly the systems may have a new feature that wont allow new games to be played on different systems. What I mean is the game you buy will have a code imbeded in the disk that wont allow you to play it on different systems. The first system you put it in is the system that the game will be linked to, and you can never play it on a different system due to that code. Of course this is a rumor but I have no doubt that it may be true due to the fact it came out of the rumor mill against Microsoft.

Secondly and the biggest killer of Gamestop possibly and every used game store for next gen consoles is the Digital Download. I could see this happening easily because it saves the game companies tons of money on purchasing disks, plastics, and shipping. Digital Download is just like a dlc but instead you would just download the game into the system. If that occurs Gamestop is done they would become unnecessary and sharing games with friends becomes very problematic.

This is why I collect and play mostly retro stuff because they never can take those away, most current gen games suck comparatively. Hell the game that was voted into the Guinness Book for best video game ending was Call of Duty Black Ops now that is just sad.
DynastyWarriors6
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:53 pm

What happens to gamefly in this situation and to a lesser extent blockbuster? Do they get special discs? Does microsoft, sony and nintendo provide codes to use on each new system? Do the big three simply allow rentals via download?
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DynastyWarriors6 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:59 pm

Separation Anxiety wrote:What happens to gamefly in this situation and to a lesser extent blockbuster? Do they get special discs? Does microsoft, sony and nintendo provide codes to use on each new system? Do the big three simply allow rentals via download?

Gamefly dies, the game companies are pushing out the used game sellers due to the fact that they get no profit from used game sales. Rental companies will most likely lose video games as well, if you think about as well if you download a rental version who do you pay. The game companies than they get the money for renting the game online and if you buy it they get that as well. It's pretty smart because you then keep all the money without sharing any of it.
DynastyWarriors6
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:18 pm

When I was much much younger i.e. under 14, I would purchase used games as much as possible from the local flea market. It was basically the only way we could get the games we liked for money we could actually afford. Living off an allowance and creative ways of income for children, I personally couldn't afford to pay $40 for a new game. It was either that or rent the game, which sucked because that was for 2-3 days depending on what time of the day you got the game.

After I began to accrue my own income, I dropped the purchase of used games and have pretty much stuck to brand new only. I've bought a game that was used as the stores demo once, which knocked off about $5-10 off the game i.e. Final Fantasy VIII.

I don't see used games being around successfully much longer when we have access to purchase games online or directly for our computers. That and the fact that used games give a cheap feeling to some including myself. Now that I think about it, I do buy some used games i.e. off of eBay for older systems like the NES, Sega Genesis, and N64 that I still have.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:29 pm

I dont really consider buying old gen games the same tier as heading to gamestop to get that used copy of Modern Warfare 3. You cant go out and get a brand new copy of Super Mario 64 anymore no matter how hard you try.

I really do put buying a used game from a used game retailer and buying someone elses used game on a different level. You arent going through a mass retailer who is going out of their way to keep you from buying new games. Yes i know its the same thing, but i just cant put it on the same level. A corporation thats making hundreds of thousands of dollars and not having to kick anything up to the people that made the game is different than someone taking their game they paid 40 bucks for and selling it for 10 bucks. They arent truly profiting off the venture and they arent gouging the prices either.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DynastyWarriors6 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:54 pm

Separation Anxiety wrote:I dont really consider buying old gen games the same tier as heading to gamestop to get that used copy of Modern Warfare 3. You cant go out and get a brand new copy of Super Mario 64 anymore no matter how hard you try.

I really do put buying a used game from a used game retailer and buying someone elses used game on a different level. You arent going through a mass retailer who is going out of their way to keep you from buying new games. Yes i know its the same thing, but i just cant put it on the same level. A corporation thats making hundreds of thousands of dollars and not having to kick anything up to the people that made the game is different than someone taking their game they paid 40 bucks for and selling it for 10 bucks. They arent truly profiting off the venture and they arent gouging the prices either.

Actually getting sealed old games isn't that difficult due to Amazon, Ebay, and Half. The only problem is you are going to pay way more on it due to the fact of rarity.
DynastyWarriors6
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Gamers’ Haven