Used Games, Industry killer or Gaming Savior?

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Do you purchase used games

Yes, whenever i can
46%
Yes, if its the only way to get the game
23%
Occasionally, if i'm not sure if i will like the game
No votes
No, i'd rather have the new copy
23%
Absolutely not, i think this is a terrible thing
8%

Total votes : 13

Re: Used Games, Industry killer or Gaming Savior?

Unread postby Jordan » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:28 am

If you want to support the industry, you should buy games new.

The industry should not force the consumers to do this. The gaming industry is just full of a bunch of self-entitled scam artists. Apparently the new Playstation and Xbox will actually block people from playing used games on their systems. I don't know how people put up with this crap. As for me, I buy used games, but almost always only do so when they're fairly old games that are way too expensive to buy regularly (and would probably not even help the developers if people bought them).

Half the reason why people buy used games is because games are expensive. If the industry wanted to really combat the problem in a fair way, they'd lower the price of their games/provide better deals and thus give people less of an incentive to buy used. I'll continue buying new games from developers I support, such as ones that don't block their games with DRM, cut content to sell as DLC and, of course, make good products. And I'll continue buying games used occasionally as well.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:55 am

Jordan wrote:If you want to support the industry, you should buy games new.

The industry should not force the consumers to do this. The gaming industry is just full of a bunch of self-entitled scam artists. Apparently the new Playstation and Xbox will actually block people from playing used games on their systems. I don't know how people put up with this crap. As for me, I buy used games, but almost always only do so when they're fairly old games that are way too expensive to buy regularly (and would probably not even help the developers if people bought them).

Half the reason why people buy used games is because games are expensive. If the industry wanted to really combat the problem in a fair way, they'd lower the price of their games/provide better deals and thus give people less of an incentive to buy used. I'll continue buying new games from developers I support, such as ones that don't block their games with DRM, cut content to sell as DLC and, of course, make good products. And I'll continue buying games used occasionally as well.

The industry should not have to force customers to do this. But at the end of the day from a business point of view, its stealing. They have all the rights in the world to be self entitled. They are making something that they arent allowed to make money off. How would you feel if you made a game and sold it to 100 people but you made 200 copies of it and all those people just sold it when they were done and you were left with 200 extra copies?

Games would not be so expensive if the were actually making these sales. Those greedy people are the guys like Blizzard charging 60 bucks for a game you cant resell. But even then the argument that games are too expensive is tired. 40 bucks for a PSX game brand new might seem cheap nowadays, but back then it was on par or even more expensive due to inflation. Minimum wage in my state is 9 bucks, but back when the games were 40 bucks it was 5 bucks. So while you have a 20 dollar increase in price you have to work less hours to get said game.

Also the argument that games are cheaper used is relevant until you realize you are usually only saving about 5 bucks or so, maybe 10 bucks if the game is that old but you are cutting the knees of that developer out. Whether you like it or not, whether you want to admit it, that developer has lost a sale because you were too cheap to buy the game. You are direct result in the loss of jobs of skilled individual in favor of feeding a soulless company like Gamestop. I for one love games too much to worry about 5 dollars if that in any way jeopardizes a future game from coming out in a series i love. I want a new Mass Effect game so i bought Mass Effect 1,2 and 3. Technically i bought 1 twice because i sold the original to a friend. Yes i made the mistake of selling it thus not giving Bioware their money, but i did repurchase it later for myself, which keeps the licenses in check.

Also the whole digital thing keeps prices down. No manuals, no cases, no discs = cheaper games. If you wanna complain about price you better support the thing that cuts those prices the fastest.
Oh my my, oh hell yes, your gettin buried in your party dress.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:44 am

Games would not be so expensive if the were actually making these sales. Those greedy people are the guys like Blizzard charging 60 bucks for a game you cant resell. But even then the argument that games are too expensive is tired. 40 bucks for a PSX game brand new might seem cheap nowadays, but back then it was on par or even more expensive due to inflation. Minimum wage in my state is 9 bucks, but back when the games were 40 bucks it was 5 bucks. So while you have a 20 dollar increase in price you have to work less hours to get said game.

I didn't say games are the most expensive they have ever been. I said they were expensive, which is my personal opinion. They have undoubtedly been more expensive in some previous generations. I found prices to be more reasonable last generation than this one, however, especially when one takes into account the various bullshit that developers pull nowadays, such as cutting content to sell as Day-1 DLC.

Also the argument that games are cheaper used is relevant until you realize you are usually only saving about 5 bucks or so, maybe 10 bucks if the game is that old but you are cutting the knees of that developer out. Whether you like it or not, whether you want to admit it, that developer has lost a sale because you were too cheap to buy the game. You are direct result in the loss of jobs of skilled individual in favor of feeding a soulless company like Gamestop. I for one love games too much to worry about 5 dollars if that in any way jeopardizes a future game from coming out in a series i love. I want a new Mass Effect game so i bought Mass Effect 1,2 and 3. Technically i bought 1 twice because i sold the original to a friend. Yes i made the mistake of selling it thus not giving Bioware their money, but i did repurchase it later for myself, which keeps the licenses in check.

The types of games I buy used are the types of games that cost exorbitant amounts due to being old. I highly doubt Nintendo begrudges me for buying Fire Emblem Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn used, recently. They cost literally 3x as much if I were to buy them new (to give some perspective, PoR costs $104, new, on Amazon. RD costs $70+). Moreover, I really don't feel unjustified at all in buying these games used since I've given TONS of money to Nintendo directly through my purchases of several other of their games. Chances are good that because of my reignited passion for Fire Emblem, for instance, I will be purchasing Fire Emblem Awakening for 3DS on day 1. In the end, the idea of designing a console that explicitly blocks players from playing used games still seems scummy and unjustifiable to me.

I do agree that consumers should be buying games new in order to help companies, but I hate the idea of it being enforced. Should game companies prevent people from lending friends videogames? Should the whole rental industry be torched as well? To me it just seems like madness. I am not so different from you really. I will buy games if I like a series and want it to continue. But sometimes I'm unsure or don't really feel like buying a game new is really going to do a whole lot for the company (mainly when it comes to old games). The vast majority of games I buy are new.

Also the whole digital thing keeps prices down. No manuals, no cases, no discs = cheaper games. If you wanna complain about price you better support the thing that cuts those prices the fastest.

I'm not opposed to all digital distribution. I buy games from Steam from time to time and think they've done wonderful things for companies like Paradox Interactive. I'm opposed to this.
Last edited by Jordan on Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mestre Will » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:38 pm

Jordan wrote:I'm not opposed to all digital distribution. I buy games from Steam from time to time and think they've done wonderful things for companies like Paradox Interactive. I'm opposed to this.

I agree with you.

Now about this bullshit of block-used games see my personal point:
I have 2 brothers , and we want have one xbox360 each (and one a PS3), so we will need buy 3 games all times ? not just one and us 3 use it ? Ofcourse we will not can play online unite because only one game , if the game is realy that good may we buy 2 just for it otherwise just 1 and go to hell.
Some , at minimun imbelice people, dare to say : "But why 3 and not just one Xbox?" simple : independence , we want each play our own console in our room in peace and not need go to other room to play , to play together online (in some cases), just the Ps3 that will be in a common place like the main room to us all play and that would not be necessary if some games are not "unique" or better say "exclusive" just to ps3 like INfamous or God of War :( .

-I Love Paradox games , :mrgreen: to Paradox , they deserve it.
Knowledge is achieved with time, but Intelligence is born with it or without it. - Mestre Will
Mestre Will
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Korin » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:31 am

Jordan wrote:If you want to support the industry, you should buy games new.

What happens if I'm not that rich? I mean I do buy a lot of games new, but I'm careful that I buy games I WILL actually play, because I've made mistakes in the past that I bought games new and I didn't like and now I don't even play them anymore.

So, I only buy games that I like NEW and games I don't like I buy used.

--

edit: I misread some posts here. :oops:
Soshi.
Korin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:43 pm

Mestre Will wrote:
Jordan wrote:I'm not opposed to all digital distribution. I buy games from Steam from time to time and think they've done wonderful things for companies like Paradox Interactive. I'm opposed to this.

I agree with you.

Now about this bullshit of block-used games see my personal point:
I have 2 brothers , and we want have one xbox360 each (and one a PS3), so we will need buy 3 games all times ? not just one and us 3 use it ? Ofcourse we will not can play online unite because only one game , if the game is realy that good may we buy 2 just for it otherwise just 1 and go to hell.
Some , at minimun imbelice people, dare to say : "But why 3 and not just one Xbox?" simple : independence , we want each play our own console in our room in peace and not need go to other room to play , to play together online (in some cases), just the Ps3 that will be in a common place like the main room to us all play and that would not be necessary if some games are not "unique" or better say "exclusive" just to ps3 like INfamous or God of War :( .

-I Love Paradox games , :mrgreen: to Paradox , they deserve it.

They may lock the games to a gamer tag, kind of like the online passes. Yes it would be something of a hassle, but you would be able to log into the others account. They could very easily make the online pass the way to play the game without buying another copy.

But at the end of the day, gaming companies are businesses. They want to make money and they are entitled to do so. They will want to protect their investment. If someone doesnt buy a new game because they cant buy a used game that makes absolutely no difference to the company because they wouldnt have bought the game anyways. Sure a few people might not buy the Ps4 or whatever it will be called, but that wont hurt sony because they will end up selling more games because you cant buy used.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:35 am

We'll see how little it will hurt Sony when stores such as Gamestop and rental businesses refuse to sell Sony games/products until they change their tact. I just hope Nintendo doesn't pull this nonsense. Fortunately I don't think they will, which means next gen will look good for Nintendo again.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:35 am

Off the topic a tad, but i think next gen for nintendo wont pan out if they attempt to match the ps4 and next xbox. I read a report saying that the Wii U isnt even as powerful as the current gen xbox or station. Not a good thing for me. I was hyped for a wii u but when i heard that it made me step back and say well looks like i will wait for the next xbox.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:36 am

Nintendo makes durable hardware, but they've been poor at being technologically up-to-date, yeah.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TheGreatNads » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:11 am

Separation Anxiety wrote:How would you feel if you made a game and sold it to 100 people but you made 200 copies of it and all those people just sold it when they were done and you were left with 200 extra copies?

I wouldn't "feel" anything, I would be trying to come up with a strategy on how to properly market or design the game so it sells instead of complaining. You know, doing my job, which is something people like Denis Dyack are not good at. "Extra" copies are a part of physical games anyway. When a game suffers minor damages because of a shipment error that do not effect the actual product, it goes on Amazon warehouse deals at a reduced price. How should the developer feel about that? Personally the developers can suck it up, if Japanese strategy RPGs can be sell 10,000 or less in their first week on one of the most pirated platforms and still be enough to keep the developers in business, I don't see where the excuse for developers of AAA comes in. Maybe cut down the budget because you're not going to do Call of Duty numbers. Maybe not shell out for unecessary voice acting that isn't very good anyway. They're already selling online passes for $10 for used games so forgive me if I'm not feeling sympathetic.

Separation Anxiety wrote:Games would not be so expensive if the were actually making these sales.

This is based on what evidence?

Separation Anxiety wrote:Also the argument that games are cheaper used is relevant until you realize you are usually only saving about 5 bucks or so, maybe 10 bucks if the game is that old but you are cutting the knees of that developer out.

If the game is old enough you're not doing the developer any good anyhow, the retailer wouldn't be ordering more copies. When I buy a bunch of PSP RPGs off Amazon, I'm not deluing myself into thinking that under $20 factory sealed game is doing anyone but Amazon any good. Besides, your values only apply if one buys their used games from Gamestop. I can save a heck of a lot more than $5 bucks at a lot of places.

Separation Anxiety wrote:Whether you like it or not, whether you want to admit it, that developer has lost a sale because you were too cheap to buy the game. You are direct result in the loss of jobs of skilled individual in favor of feeding a soulless company like Gamestop. I for one love games too much to worry about 5 dollars if that in any way jeopardizes a future game from coming out in a series i love. I want a new Mass Effect game so i bought Mass Effect 1,2 and 3. Technically i bought 1 twice because i sold the original to a friend. Yes i made the mistake of selling it thus not giving Bioware their money, but i did repurchase it later for myself, which keeps the licenses in check.

Now you're just resorting to guilt-tripping. Programmers are a high in demand job in general and the video game industry in general is very high paying. Again, cry me a river. This idea that it is the fault of consumers when companies lose money is the definition of entitlement. Plenty of publishers are making money and the ones who are not can blame themselves. And these publishers are no less souless than Gamestop, and what's funny is the existance of Gamestop is probably more affective at marketing these products than some of these incompetent publishers are.

Separation Anxiety wrote:Also the whole digital thing keeps prices down. No manuals, no cases, no discs = cheaper games. If you wanna complain about price you better support the thing that cuts those prices the fastest.

People always say this and hype Steam yet I can order any recent Steam game much cheaper on Amazon or my local Target for that matter and I have to wait for some crazy sale so I can hope to get my digitally distributed game for a reasonable price on Steam. And that's Steam, which is a decent service. On consle platforms? Digital prices are absurd compared to the retail market most of the time. What's more to get these games on digital services publishers have to pay licensing fees and many games have been later removed from these services so the publisher does not have to pay licensing fees. And then you take that and add it in with the fact that I have to download the game from crowded servers and is going to use more space on the hard drive that drives up costs and is failure prone. And that I may have to worry about bandwith caps. Yeah, digital distribution sounds great.

Jordan wrote:Nintendo makes durable hardware, but they've been poor at being technologically up-to-date, yeah.

It's much easier to make durable hardware when you're using older, safer, more refined tech.
TheGreatNads
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven