Used Games, Industry killer or Gaming Savior?

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Do you purchase used games

Yes, whenever i can
46%
Yes, if its the only way to get the game
23%
Occasionally, if i'm not sure if i will like the game
No votes
No, i'd rather have the new copy
23%
Absolutely not, i think this is a terrible thing
8%

Total votes : 13

Re: Used Games, Industry killer or Gaming Savior?

Unread postby rcsha » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:01 pm

DynastyWarriors6 wrote:Actually getting sealed old games isn't that difficult due to Amazon, Ebay, and Half. The only problem is you are going to pay way more on it due to the fact of rarity.

I paid $90 for Valkyrie Profiles...original shrink-wrap, the manual still had that classic unread paper smell. Of course it was only $40 when it came out a decade before I bought it. :cry:
rcsha
Ao Kaio Nankou

Unread postby Mestre Will » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:01 pm

If you buy in a market it already is a "Used" game in sense because the 1 buyer is the market owner.Also people can simple buy one and trade with friends for some time , or even your friend already win all and dont want play anymore and give it to you (or sell to you) , what you will say ? "Oh no i cant , i want buy a new just because the great industry , dont get wrong we are friends but i guess it is wrong" you need a medal if you find this guy.

Used games are fine to buy as long the game still working, just check from where you are buying.
So sell used cars is wrong ? Sell your old house is also wrong because the people who build it will not get any more money ?

One thing is buy piracy games , that is totaly wrong and buy and another is buy used games or anything used.
Think about it : So if you want recycle something some of your money (if you are getting any) will need go to the original place of the recycled item , like need pay Coca-Cola for recicle thoes bottles.
In the very core sell used games is like recycle them.

However i do agree with some previous thinks:
Yes i agree that if most of games could be downloaded so why i need rent on basically the same price ?
Without the price of the logistics and cds buys the total price of the game will be very small when compared with today price.
Knowledge is achieved with time, but Intelligence is born with it or without it. - Mestre Will
Mestre Will
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby rcsha » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:45 pm

You know, MW, that's a brilliant point that I don't usually hear in discussions on this topic. Used Car Lots do the same thing, and because of it Used Car Salesmen have gotten a pretty bad rap among modern narratives.

Really any industry that resells used goods is the same way, but the difference with this particular scenario is...the industry has a way to defend itself from it.

To continue with the analogy, car makers have attempted the same thing in the recent past. Chevy offered free Onstar subscriptions and discounted prices to continue using Onstar if you were the original buyer. If you bought it used...too bad, so sad, pay full price.
The online passes are kind of like that. If you buy the game new, you can play online for free, but if you bought the game used you'll have to pay a fee to play it online.

One thing the game makers can do that car makers can't is the digital download. Car makers can't let you download a car, they still have to provide physical copies of it. But games can be done through digital download...which cuts down on prices and makes buying new a little more affordable.
Gamestop still has a chance to stay in business with digital download, too: Gamestop could purchase digital copies on a per-need basis and copy them onto discs for people who don't have internet connections.

The best chance the game companies have of getting rid of Gamestop and releated comanies is digital download files with self-eliminating execution files. Once you download the game and register it, it deletes itself. You have to get a brand-new download if you want to play it on another system or something.
rcsha
Ao Kaio Nankou

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:53 am

Theres a slight difference when you are talking about a 60 dollar brand new game and 20000+ dollar car and 100000+ dollar house. And the biggest difference is there is no retail market for houses and cars the way it is for games. You dont go to Carstop or Housestop to buy a house, you go to the dealership (owned by the company that made the car) or the guy that paid to have the house built. You dont have the middle man. You see any bioware shops to buy mass effect?

Also, cars and houses change as time drags on. You wanna buy my car or house? You know its different than when i took ownership of it. My car has increased in miles, my house has been renovated. Did you fundamentally change your video game in anyway before gamestop got their greedy hands on it?

Furthermore, cars arent considered an Intellectual Property. That really does set apart the cars from games. Ever tried putting a Beatles song on youtube? Won't work. Are you stealing it, no, are you doing anything to it really... no. But its an IP so its got all kinds of protection. But you can take your 97 honda civic and put it in your youtube video and not have to deal with honda screaming at you. IP dont fully transfer the way the title of a car does.

Buying a pirated game and buying a used game is the same exact thing. You think Bethesda cares at all whether you are getting a used game or a pirated game? When it really comes down to it they arent getting a penny either way, but someone else is profitting a second time off their hard work.

How is pirating a game any different than buying a used copy? I have given the exact same amount of money to the company who has the trademark and made the product. Sure you could say the product was licensed to some random guy on the internet and he put it up there for others to download, but whos to say he isnt using the license. If hes not using that license and i am the exact same amount of license is out there. Why wouldnt that license transfer? Is it because i didnt pay gamestop in the process?
Oh my my, oh hell yes, your gettin buried in your party dress.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mestre Will » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:56 pm

Separation Anxiety wrote: You see any bioware shops to buy mass effect?

No but that would not be a bad idea after all, if they have a special store to sell they own games the prices would be reduced (no so much) by destroy the middle person.

How about this then , we get a small number of friends and any buy one game and trade betwen us.That will work , totaly ok and the industry go to hell. The real greed people are thoes who dont go after piracy but go after good people, i dont know exacly what is Gamestop , so i dont defend them however times change and try put "Hardware logics to software" dont work anymore, my exemple may dont have been so strong but you know what they say you will never made everyone happy.

Separation Anxiety wrote:Theres a slight difference when you are talking about a 60 dollar brand new game and 20000+ dollar car and 100000+ dollar house. And the biggest difference is there is no retail market for houses and cars the way it is for games. You dont go to Carstop or Housestop to buy a house, you go to the dealership (owned by the company that made the car) or the guy that paid to have the house built.

First from where you are from again ?
2º Who is talking about a 60 dollar new game ?

However say piracy game and used is the same is at least wrong and biased view.
I dont will say it is your exactly case , but why people tend to dislike ,preconception (bias) about used things ? That is all egocentrism and old guard way of think and ofcourse lack of be humble.
Talk about prices , man you guys are the last who can say it , in here lets show :
60 dollar game goes to R$200 , 1U$ = 1,82R$ so 60U$= 109,2 R$ ???? Why is 200 so ? Because our great corrupt freak governy , give thanks to God to be so small the price you guys pay. The XBOX360 is at minor price R$800 so is realy hard need pay 1/4 of the console price for each new game , that is why the piracy is so great in here, the piracy game is sold at 15~20 R$ , the used or more old games (like the first assassins creed) is sold at 85~140 R$ that is why most of this fools buy piracy , however they cant use Xboxlive or even play online , for me a price much big because i want the multiplayer online and DLC however to some fools is low price to trade for pay only 10% of the real price.
Knowledge is achieved with time, but Intelligence is born with it or without it. - Mestre Will
Mestre Will
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:11 am

Big news on the used gaming front. PS4 will lock out used games.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/next-playstation-to-lock-out-used-games-report-6368582

Also a nice article about the dangers of used games. Talks about used games causing a drop off in sales after a few months. To be honest its pretty spot on. If you werent so enamored about the game in the first place to drop 60 bucks on it, when you get the option to buy it for 30 instead of 40 months later, why would you spend that extra ten bucks

http://www.gamespot.com/news/used-games-raise-prices-threaten-industry-dyack-6368581
Oh my my, oh hell yes, your gettin buried in your party dress.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Qu Hui » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:06 am

I don't think this is a good idea. Used games have their benefits too. They extend the life of the console beyond when new games stop production (the PS2 being a prime example of this). They ensure that copies of games will continue circulating after the printing ceases. And they give people (like me) the opportunity to experience games they didn't know during the console's lifespan. The more reasonable solution would be to talk to the stores who sell used games and work out some form of agreement with them, like only selling used copies of games after a set amount of time has passed. Cutting off the flow of used games will just shorten the life of the console rather than have much benefit.

And let's face it, game companies don't charge $60 for a game because of used copies. They sell it at that price because they know they can and people will still buy it.
My avatar is Roy from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, as he appears in Fire Emblem: Awakening
Quote of the "Day": "The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." -Neil Gaiman
Qu Hui
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby DynastyWarriors6 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:03 am

I called it so hard geez it's just amazing I should work for them. Well that about does it for me and current gen gaming. I think I will just convert completely over to retro gaming, good thing I already started collecting for it.
DynastyWarriors6
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:20 am

Separation Anxiety wrote:Big news on the used gaming front. PS4 will lock out used games.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/next-playstation-to-lock-out-used-games-report-6368582

Also a nice article about the dangers of used games. Talks about used games causing a drop off in sales after a few months. To be honest its pretty spot on. If you werent so enamored about the game in the first place to drop 60 bucks on it, when you get the option to buy it for 30 instead of 40 months later, why would you spend that extra ten bucks

http://www.gamespot.com/news/used-games-raise-prices-threaten-industry-dyack-6368581

I tend to buy games a year or so after their out, getting a used or new for 10-20 £, will be curious how Orbis affects that market.

My concern is the locking to PSN account. Example, my dad and I play FF13 on the same console but using different accounts. Now we, what, need two FF13's?
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby TheGreatNads » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:43 am

I find the Dyack argument pretty humorous. It's humorous to me to suggest sales of a game over the course of 10 years is going to make a difference in any but the most extreme cases. We're talking about an industry nowadays where many games(all FPS games) don't offer robust single player experiences and instead focus the depth on the multiplayer, and usually multiplayer servers for those games don't last 10 years. If it's EA publishing the game you're lucky if it last 2. So I don't think that Warcraft example is even relevant to the current industry. The type of games that have long lifespans are ones with loyal fanbases of the sort that the vast majority of games and games developers/publishers will simply never have. Not everyone can be Blizzard or Nintendo. Or not every game should be designed around being free to play. The argument is absurd anyhow, games sell in large quantities due to market/hype/word of mouth, generally these factors are most intense at the beginning and shortly after release. It's only natural for most games not to have a long lifespan.

The main reason games don't have long lifespans? It's because the industry is huge! There are always a huge amount of new releases and so it's only natural for games to get quickly cycled out and people move on to the next one. And guess what? Developers design their games to support this kind of environment, because the majority of mainstream "hardcore" games are story heavy "experiences" that don't offer much replay value anyhow(outside of multiplayer which doesn't have a long life either unless you're a top-tier console game in terms of popularity). Developers and publishers can blame themselves for games being treated as disposable because they design them to be that way. If you want longer lifespans, make less games and put some actual content in them.

Getting rid of used games is only going to make the video game market less accessible to the casual mainstream buyer(making consoles more like PCs), and good luck with that. Only more reason to buy IPhone games instead. Call me crazy but I just can't see parents, who are a big driving force of the industry, buying games for their kids on online consoles en masse. It's not like buying digital games on a phone because that's a device they already use everyday. They don't pick up 360 controllers every day and browse the XBox live marketplace, The used game market isn't any different, essentially you're just making it more difficult for people to buy what they want. Never a good idea. I do not think the end of Gamestop would be good for the industry.
TheGreatNads
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven