Jagged Alliance: Back in Action

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Jagged Alliance: Back in Action

Unread postby rcsha » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:42 pm

Tell me...is anyone else as excited about this as I am? It's a remake of the old Jagged Alliance 2 game (which I still play from time to time now). But it has new graphics (looks good), voice-actors (I'm hesitant, because I liked the original cast), and a new real-time/tactical command system to make the game more exciting and still retain the classical strategy elements of the series.

As I mentioned in my blog post on it (shameless plug) I need a new graphics card before I can play anything, even the demo.

So was anyone else as big a fan of the original as I was? Is anyone else excited about this new release by Bitcomposer and Kalypso? If so, how did you hear about it? I caught and ad for it on Penny Arcadethe other day, myself.

I'm hugely excited just at the chance to play the frickin' demo. I just hope that you can still create your own merc, like you could in the original. They seem pretty hushed on that topic as far as I've read into it, so I fear that they may have done away with it...which will make me very sad as I hire other people to gun down my enemies. :(
rcsha
Ao Kaio Nankou

Re: Jagged Alliance: Back in Action

Unread postby Ranbir » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:50 pm

This game will bomb, it is actually forcing me to think about what I do. People won't like the challenge.

I still play JA2 from GoG, glad this has come.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:19 pm

I took a peak at getting this. Then i started reading reviews and such and it scared me away. Its not every day you hear that a game is described as atrocious and offensive to all viable senses.
Oh my my, oh hell yes, your gettin buried in your party dress.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby rcsha » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:57 am

Overall the reviews I've seen suggest an above-average game. Not the great game that Jagged Alliance 2 was, but certainly not disastrous.

The reviews I've read tend to go along these lines...
-Critics are in the middle, they can't decide whether it's really good or really bad, but seem to give about a 3.5 out of 5 rating (so to speak).
-Players are very polar on their like or dislike of it...45% liked the game, 40% hated the game, and 14% were like the critics and gave it a middle-of-the-road review.

Most of the negative reviews have the following major reasons:
-No Fog of War, Bugs (primarily see-through walls), and either It's Jagged Alliance-y or it's not Jagged Alliance-y enough.
Half of the negative reviews are either because they don't like tactical games like Jagged Alliance and it has too much micro-management or because it's not tactical enough and doesn't have enough micro-management.

Most of the positive reviews have the following major reasons:
-They've never played Jagged Alliance and have nothing to compare it to, it has great usage of easter eggs (like the original did), and that it is a pretty solid tactical game.

In the end I think once they patch up the see-through walls bug and stuff like that, I think it could turn into a pretty okay game.

My favorite negative comment though was about the enemy AI, stating that an enemy tried to shoot him with a shotgun at very long range, which is stupid. But they talked highly of JA2's AI...which would do the same thing, because enemies generally only had one weapon type on hand and use it however they could. I remember watching one of my mercs duck for cover when a guy who wasn't even visible on the same screen would fire a load of buckshot 20 feet to their right.

Personally, my main concern is that I always liked the voice acting...and if the rest of the game has the same poor-quality voice acting as the demo had, then I won't be very impressed by that fact. :(
rcsha
Ao Kaio Nankou

Unread postby Ranbir » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:48 pm

It has a mercenary with the trait: nudity. She likes to do the mission in the nude. Jackpot.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby rcsha » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:41 pm

Ranbir wrote:It has a mercenary with the trait: nudity. She likes to do the mission in the nude. Jackpot.

Why do I have the feeling that's 'Fox' Guzzman?
rcsha
Ao Kaio Nankou

Return to Gamers’ Haven