What? No Skyrim thread?

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: What? No Skyrim thread?

Unread postby Nazne » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:58 am

Kong Wen wrote:Are there any PC snobs who want to recommend any essential mods, while we're at it?

If you have Dawnguard and don't want questgiver NPCs to die horribly each time a vampire shows up, I'd recommend When Vampires Attack. Other than that, everything Zorkaz listed is incredibly useful.

Also, anecdote time: I summoned Duurnehviir outside Whiterun, watched him fly off to enjoy his newfound freedom, then went back into the city and was immediately accosted by Miraak's cultists going "NUUUUR UR NOT REAL DRAGONBORN". The moment they attacked, Duurnehviir - who'd apparently followed me into the Whiterun area - dropped out of the sky on them, and along with half of Whiterun tore them to shreds.

(my reaction was something along the lines of "HAHAHA WHO'S THE REAL DRAGONBORN NOW")
先主復領益州牧,諸葛亮為股肱,法正為謀主,關羽、張飛、馬超為爪牙,許靖、麋竺、簡雍為賓友。
- 蜀书二 先主传
Nazne
Master

Unread postby Zorkaz » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:53 am

Another list of mods which I use and think they're quite useful:

*Beards (Just a lot of well done beards)
*Faster mining
*No Bethesda Intro
*Realistic Ragdolls and Force

*And for all guys who want play as DW4 Lü Bu: ;)
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/21 ... %3D1&pUp=1
Zorkaz
Assistant

Unread postby Shozuhn » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:58 am

I thought I'd bring the conversation from the thread "What are you playing right now?" to the actual Skyrim thread in case anyone wanted to continue talking with me about it.

I tried out Legendary difficulty with my main character... and it didn't seem so hard to me. It just took me longer to kill stuff is all it seemed like. Then again, my main character is at level 71 and probably quite over powered. :lol:
Most likely, I'm gonna have to try it at a lower level if I want an accurate assessment of how difficult it is. I can imagine that taking 3x damage while only dishing out 1/4 damage would probably be extremely difficult on lower levels.
And you were right, it didn't seem to effect my follower at all.
Messing with the difficulty is actual making the idea of getting back into Skyrim exciting. Strange that I never really thought about it before... :?
Shozuhn
Initiate

Unread postby Zorkaz » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:39 am

Try out increasing the difficulty with a mod like this http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/5965/?
Basically it increases the damage on both sides and makes timing more important.
Zorkaz
Assistant

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:57 pm

This article is useful for any melee fighters especially those who want to wield daedric artifacts. It also provides more explanation on my reasoning that the kitchen knife is an option in dealing with dragons :lol:

http://theskyrimblog.ning.com/group/glitches/forum/topics/an-argument-for-marked-for-death

Edit: I finally did some testing. Neither knife nor a fork connect. The animation is there and you get an option of poisoning them but...there's no sound and no damage. So my theory was wrong.
The woodcutter ax does connect nicely however. I think it took me about 15-20 mins to repeatedly stack the mark (just the first word) to deal with the legendary dragon on legendary. The base damage was 7 only but it does become noticeable eventually. Would be much shorter if the dragon stayed put on the ground instead flying around for the most part.
There's no trick to it. I'm not using an orbment, it's not magic...and I'm not using an artifact, either. I just will fire to appear, and it does.
McBurn
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shozuhn » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:51 am

Zorkaz:
Unfortunately, I play on PS3, so no mods are possible. Untill I can get a better PC that can actually handle modern games, I'm afraid this won't change any time soon.

Xiahou Jia:
That's an interesting read. I'm sure it could help my character a lot playing on higher difficulties too. I'm the type that I pick what weapons and armor I use largely based on their appearance, not their usefulness. My favorite swords are "Blades Sword" because I love the katana look. My main character uses duel wielding Blades Swords and a dragon bow. Unfortunately, they aren't really all that great of swords to use. So maybe this shout could help make them better.
I've never really played around with different shouts to begin with. I'm currently trying out a neat shout and bow idea I was told about. It involves using "slow time" along with the illusion perk that allows you to cast magic quietly. thus you can slow down time while undetected and shoot someone with a bow. This will allow you to hit them around 10 - 15 times before they have any chance to find you. Nothing can really survive that many sneak attacks. So you can even take out whole rooms without being found, almost regardless of how many people are in the room.
Shozuhn
Initiate

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:22 am

interesting...I'm too all in katans and bows especially after the kill cams for bows were introduced, I prefer 2-handed katanas though. Too bad there aren't many in the game. Actually only one I remember of, the Ebony Blade. I also take appearance over functionality, so stalhrim armor is my pick over daedric and definitely over dragon's set. Regardless of the stats of falmer's set there's no way I'll put that on :lol:
There's no trick to it. I'm not using an orbment, it's not magic...and I'm not using an artifact, either. I just will fire to appear, and it does.
McBurn
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shozuhn » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:34 am

So far, my no armor or weapons play thru is going well. I've found that I can take out most enemies rather easily. And any time the situation is about to get tough, I hit my follower with a "rally" type spell. Those actually go a long way in buff'ing your follower.
You just have to be sooooo careful when you're not wearing armor. You can never afford to just exchange blows with any enemy. It really forces me to think much more then I ever have playing Skyrim. Having fun so far with it. :mrgreen:
Shozuhn
Initiate

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:11 am

Btw, one clear advantage of having no armour is enjoying the epic battle music on every encounter, not only dragons.
Speaking of the followers...who is helping you out, Shozuhn?
My favourite follower would be Serana, but...since I play on ps3 as well, she really brings problems with leaving ash piles all around Skyrim. That's bad...very bad as the game doesn't clear them properly even after the 1.9 patch.
Aela is great, but since I married her it doesn't seem very gentlemanish to bring her into the fights anymore :lol: Normaly I take Celan or Farkas with me. Never liked any of the housecarls or hirelings. I really wish Florentius was availabe as a follower. A solid voice acting and I always wondered what Arkay would say about different locations.
McBurn
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shozuhn » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:36 pm

I've noticed things are saved on PS3 that shouldn't really be necessary. I can go into a dungeon that has been so long ago that I don't even remember being there... yet they're still weapons laying around the place from old kills. And traveling roads, I see weapons laying in the middle of the road from old kills. And if I ever drop something... anything... it will remain there forever. This seems very unnecessary to me. And seems to only increase save file sizes and potentially add to lag and glitches. I wish they would do something about it.

On the subject of followers:
I used Lydia a lot in my first play-thru. I still often times use her. I also really like the character Brelyna Maryon. She can be found as a student at the college of Winter hold. Serana is a also a favorite of mine. There's also a dark Elf in the archer shop in White run that I have used before. She is actually really good at remaining undetected with me as we play together.
I haven't ever married my main character, because all the men in Skyrim tend to look like duck dynasty... Orcs and Argonians aren't attractive either... I think I actually find the dark Elf men more attractive then any in the game :lol:
Shozuhn
Initiate

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven