What? No Skyrim thread?

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

What? No Skyrim thread?

Unread postby Kristina » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:58 pm

SKYRIM THREAD!!!

I am loving every minute of this game thus far. There are shadows. They fixed alchemy. There is nothing more satisfying than shooting a baddie with a flame column from your hand -and- bashing him in the skull with a mace. There are several new functions that have been brought in from Fallout. Lockpicking is one of these (so now more pause glitch). Third person play is sort of fixed, and dialogue options are increased. The map is huge. I am level four, and already have a ton of side quests to choose from.

You now have the option of vampire and lycanthrope. The Dark Brotherhood, thief's guild, and other factions are still in. In addition to those fun side stuffs, you can spend your time crafting. Turn pelts into leather into weapons and more. AND, everything you do, from experimenting with potion blends to killing baddies gets you points on a level. I am overwhelmed with the possibilities that Skyrim is delivering.

For those of you that are iffy, stop it and buy the game.
Kristina
Certified Zombie Killer Harlequin

Re: What? No Skyrim thread?

Unread postby Mikhail » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:04 am

I thought we were using the Elder Scrolls thread for Skyrim?

I haven't gotten to play much due to work then nap but the beginning is certainly really interesting. Much better than the, "oh, I'm the king, please move over while I use the secret exit in your cell" intro in 4.
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby Kristina » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:35 am

Ah, well, I was unaware of this. Skyrim just seemed big enough to grab a thread all its own.
Kristina

Unread postby Elitemsh » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:15 pm

Can anyone tell me what melee weapons you have in this game? I'm assuming it's the same as Oblivion. So just swords and shields right? For me Oblivion in terms of melee combat was very simple. I wondering if the system's been upgraded at all.
''I've never fought for anyone but myself. I've got no purpose in life. No ultimate goal. It's only when I'm cheating death on the battlefield. The only time I feel truly alive.'' ~Solid Snake
Elitemsh
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kristina » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:20 pm

There are swords, pickaxes, warhammers, and maces. Each weapons group has a perk to help you do better in those categories.

I stick with a destro spell in one hand, and a sword in the other. It's quite effective.
Kristina

Unread postby Adam » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:44 pm

I stick with a destro spell in one hand, and a sword in the other. It's quite effective.

Copy cat.

Honestly, I find myself rarely using the spell except in the case of taking down target's health from afar before whacking them with my Blade of Joey Lawrence...its useful when a dragon won't land as well.

So far I've finished off most of the Dark Brotherhood quests and a random other quest here and there, haven't done any of the main quest save the intro bits you have to do.

Edit: And if anyone does the "Forsworn Conspiracy" quest make sure to save separately before hand (at least on the PS3 version), I had it glitch out and was unable to finish part of the quest.
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Nazne » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:35 pm

Totally fine with a new thread for Skyrim itself. Can we keep quest-related spoilers to a minimum for now, though? I'm still barely into most quest lines.

I've been playing as a thief/ranger/mage, mostly for the absurd sneak-attack bonuses from afar and with daggers. However, my damage output with destruction spells is kind of slow when close up; I'm also about level 25 and still get regularly owned by bears and trolls. So I had a few questions for anyone who might have similar experiences:

1. Does putting more perks into defense bonuses in Light Armor help against getting killed immediately?
2. Is there any way to increase carrying capacity without leveling stamina or the pickpocket perk?
3. Are there ANY more damage-per-second spells in Destruction besides the initial one? I really like just having a flamethrower, but it's starting to get weak against higher level enemies.
4. Is there any way to increase movement speed AS A STAT at all, besides sprinting? <-- whoops, answered: increasing stamina apparently increases running speed. (but I'm a maaaaaage)

That aside, though, Skyrim regularly blows me away with how intricate its dungeons are (compared to Oblivion, hur hur hur) and how beautiful it is sometimes, especially out at night with the aurora. I'm also far more fond of my character this time around - being Dovahkiin and having choruses sing whenever you fight dragons is awesome.
先主復領益州牧,諸葛亮為股肱,法正為謀主,關羽、張飛、馬超為爪牙,許靖、麋竺、簡雍為賓友。
- 蜀书二 先主传
Nazne
Master

Unread postby Adam » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:55 pm

2. Is there any way to increase carrying capacity without leveling stamina or the pickpocket perk?

There is a light armor perk that makes light armor weightless, although if you aren't lugging around tons of light armor you found to sell this won't make much difference.

You can also visit the Steed Stone which allows you to carry more and makes armor weightless (as far as I can tell all armor)...given this means you would have to give up any other Standing Stone bonus you may have.

There are also some boots that will improve carrying capacity, I'm unsure of the names at the moment but I recall getting boots of "lifting" that did this.

I just wish dragon bones/scales didn't weigh so damn much...it makes sense from a size point of view I suppose, but it's annoying having to run back to my house constantly just to stuff them away because they take up 75% of my inventory space.
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bryan » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:50 pm

Adam wrote:

There is a light armor perk that makes light armor weightless, although if you aren't lugging around tons of light armor you found to sell this won't make much difference.

You can also visit the Steed Stone which allows you to carry more and makes armor weightless (as far as I can tell all armor)...given this means you would have to give up any other Standing Stone bonus you may have.

There are also some boots that will improve carrying capacity, I'm unsure of the names at the moment but I recall getting boots of "lifting" that did this.

I just wish dragon bones/scales didn't weigh so damn much...it makes sense from a size point of view I suppose, but it's annoying having to run back to my house constantly just to stuff them away because they take up 75% of my inventory space.
You could always go in for making a bunch of the Carry increase potions. The Alchemist shop at Whiterun sells a recipe for it.

I've finally saved enough to buy a house, and have been throwing all of my excess into a chest in there, especially the dragon bones. I know they're useful for making armor, but I'm not sure of any other applications...

Also, I am a werewolf now. Unfortunately I can't make the transformation last longer than the default unless I go into the .ini file...
"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
Discover Tolkien!
Bryan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Adam » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:20 am

In my Dark Brotherhood gear with jester hat.
Tina thinks I'm hideous.

Honestly, this game totally beats the hell out of Oblivion and is actually keeping my interest as well as Morrowind (which is a huge feat since I spent 100's of hours on it).
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Gamers’ Haven