Chinese RPG "幽城幻劍錄" ("Castle") getting a fan translation

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Chinese RPG "幽城幻劍錄" ("Castle") getting a fan translation

Unread postby FaustWolf » Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:35 am

Hello Scholars! I thought your community might be interested in this (and thanks to Starscream for directing me here):

Back around 2001 a really awesome RPG called "幽城幻劍錄" (part of the wider "Tian Di Jie" series and commonly nicknamed "Castle" in the West) was released in Taiwan, and of course it never received the translation/localization it sorely deserved. Some of you have probably played it more than I have! In any case, a friend and I have been working with a group of source language fans in giving this Chinese-language gem an English translation, albeit in the same unofficial capacity as The Scholars' own work on Legend of Cao Cao.

To make a long story shorter, I'll just link to some pics and our video demo:

*Pics

*Video

The script is a little less than 50% translated all files considered, and we're scouting around for more help if anyone's interested. Translators will only have to work with text -- no need to get into technical stuff. The source-language script is in Traditional Chinese; names and terminology are being expressed in English using the pinyin system. There's a Youtube longplay of the game that'll be a real help in getting newcomers to the project familiarized with context and characterization, if they haven't played it before.

If you have any questions (or critique, for that matter!) feel free to post here. Our project forum is here for anyone interested in joining. I'm also looking for tips as far as other forums where bilingual Chinese/English-speaking gamers hang out.

EDIT: Ha-haa, Starscream, I just saw your post here about this very game from around 2007. I think we can take care of the issues you mentioned back then, one way or another. The game should at least be able to continue if you missed one or more sidequests...some wrangling with the event code might be needed, but probably doable thanks to Magil's fine work on the technical side.
Last edited by FaustWolf on Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FaustWolf
Tyro

Re: Chinese RPG "幽城幻劍錄" ("Castle") getting a fan translation

Unread postby Lady Wu » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:43 am

Omg, this totally sounds like something I'd love to get involved with.

Unfortunately, I'm currently committed to work on the Three Kingdoms TV series, so I wouldn't be able to help with this project until TK is done. :(
"Whatever you do, don't fall off the bridge! It'll be a pain to try to get back up again." - Private, DW 8
Lady Wu
There's no better state than Wu
There's no better state than Wu

Unread postby FaustWolf » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:06 am

Latest round of video previews are up, with menus fully translated this time around. Script looks to be about 70% translated first pass; with a little more help we can push that to 100% pretty quickly. Hoping to get this out in time for next Chinese New Year!

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... EE9784165B
FaustWolf
Tyro

Unread postby Starscream » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:08 pm

It's a really awesome game in terms of content. I still remember reading the strategy guide and to be dead honest, I cannot pronounce half the names of the monsters in the game. :mrgreen: ;

Kudos to whoever ventures into translating this! It will take a lot of effort seriously.
”太慢了。“
Starscream
Decepticon Air Commander

Return to Gamers’ Haven