Way of the Samurai Series

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: Way of the Samurai Series

Unread postby Tiger of Kai » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:35 pm

How do you like the Genji series? I thought the first one was better than the second. The gameplay at least seemed to be a bit better.
Tiger of Kai
Initiate

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:56 pm

Way of the Samurai 4 Promo Video

I see they added an instant death/trance feature, where it appears as if you moved so fast in killing they didn't feel it until your sword was back in its sheath.

About at minute marker 2:56, I also see they've added some elements for perverted gamers...

Game looks like it may be promising. But I would have to get a PS3 to play it if it comes to the U.S., now that sucks...

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Shikanosuke » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:23 am

I played WotS 2 on the ps2 and really really enjoyed it. It wasn't extremely difficult to master, had varied storied endings, and you could really just fight forever. I picked up WotS3 for the 360 when it came out. I've only played it a few times, mostly due to the fact that I have no clue what direction the game is going in.

It worth me figuring it out?
Shikanosuke
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:18 pm

Shikanosuke wrote:I played WotS 2 on the ps2 and really really enjoyed it. It wasn't extremely difficult to master, had varied storied endings, and you could really just fight forever. I picked up WotS3 for the 360 when it came out. I've only played it a few times, mostly due to the fact that I have no clue what direction the game is going in.

It worth me figuring it out?

Yes.

The fact that you can make up your own swords gives a bit of credit - though after a few you may get bored of sword creation. It is limited to parts from the in-game swords and skills though.

Also, if not for anything else - the main endings (ending 1 & 4) pit you in a few consecutive big battles during a war against evil. I counted once I think I offed as many as 250 samurai in the final sequences alone on my own using the 'ren-satsu' tactic.

Getting the various ending is also generally worth it.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:40 am

I bought 3 a while back and enjoy it quite a bit, )even if I'm not very good yet); my first "real" (menaing didn't die to some randm thug) game ended with me losing a fight but it was incredibly fun!

One question, though; when you only have one opponent, is there any way to "disengage" and get your partner to fight them? I hired one as a bodyguard and would like her to earn her 100 yen.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:13 am

Gray Riders wrote:One question, though; when you only have one opponent, is there any way to "disengage" and get your partner to fight them? I hired one as a bodyguard and would like her to earn her 100 yen.

I hate wasting my 100 yen on Yukino and her, I'm defending my dead husbands honor using his spear (which sometimes is a broom or long green onion), self.

This is how I force her to defend his honor... I unsheath my sword then once the opponent starts attacking, I run behind her and allow her to get hit. If she hasn't put up a stance by then, she definitely will after being hit. Just run just behind her (not too far because she might follow) and then turn back to see her fighting your opponent.

I like getting either Ensen (he looks like a regular ronin -- he only shows up if you've killed 1000 people in one game at the area where the Dojo is at late night) or Dona (she is black and has an afro -- shows up at Posting Station on day 30 during the early daytime), they will fight everyone for you if you let them.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:10 am

Zhuanyong wrote:I hate wasting my 100 yen on Yukino and her, I'm defending my dead husbands honor using his spear (which sometimes is a broom or long green onion), self.

Considering how much she kept shouting she'd help me while sitting around doing zip, I doubt I'll be using her services again. :lol:

This is how I force her to defend his honor... I unsheath my sword then once the opponent starts attacking, I run behind her and allow her to get hit. If she hasn't put up a stance by then, she definitely will after being hit. Just run just behind her (not too far because she might follow) and then turn back to see her fighting your opponent.

Thanks! I'll try that with another partner because 100 Yen ain't much, but I've found others who are
a: Free
b: Appear at reasonable hours.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:35 am

Gray Riders wrote:Thanks! I'll try that with another partner because 100 Yen ain't much, but I've found others who are
a: Free
b: Appear at reasonable hours.

Not a problem, glad to help.

Then I suggest, at the start of your game go directly to your house and sleep the whole day 30 times. Once you get to day 30 go straight to Posting Station which is the exit right next to your hut. Dona will be standing near the entrance - you can't miss her, she'll be the only samurai dressed afro wearing woman in the game. :lol: She is probably the second best fighting partner you can get. (Ensen is probably the best - he never died on me in a game whereas she did during the wars at the end of game ending 1 and 4)

It is easy to get her, she'll mention she's looking for someone to be her master - just say you'll do it and she'll join you.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:11 pm

Zhuanyong wrote:Not a problem, glad to help.

Then I suggest, at the start of your game go directly to your house and sleep the whole day 30 times. Once you get to day 30 go straight to Posting Station which is the exit right next to your hut. Dona will be standing near the entrance - you can't miss her, she'll be the only samurai dressed afro wearing woman in the game. :lol: She is probably the second best fighting partner you can get. (Ensen is probably the best - he never died on me in a game whereas she did during the wars at the end of game ending 1 and 4)

It is easy to get her, she'll mention she's looking for someone to be her master - just say you'll do it and she'll join you.

Dona looks great, according to an FAQ; great fighter and not ridiculously slow, AND available at decent hours!

I am curious though; I know you can invite partners to live with you, which apparently causes them to stay permanently. However, some can cause bad effects, mostly stealing or breaking your swords. Can this be avoided by just never letting them leave your side after they move in, or would I have to save often and reload if any foolery happens? I'd be pretty annoying if I managed to get a good, high level weapon than some jerk nabs the thing.

Speaking of which, is it normal for the overseer to have such little quest variety? The first is always "Oryo's Rrrand", I sometimes get "Beauty and the Beast", and otherwise it's entirely "Justice For All!", which is pretty quick to complete but fighting the same guy over and over and over starts getting dull.

Edit: I'd just like to make sure I've how moves work correct; each stance has a large number of moves and, in turn, each weapon has a number of the moves from it's stance, right? So if you get a new sword, if you've used one of the same stance in the past you may already know some moves for the sword?
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:39 pm

Gray Riders wrote:Dona looks great, according to an FAQ; great fighter and not ridiculously slow, AND available at decent hours!

I am curious though; I know you can invite partners to live with you, which apparently causes them to stay permanently. However, some can cause bad effects, mostly stealing or breaking your swords. Can this be avoided by just never letting them leave your side after they move in, or would I have to save often and reload if any foolery happens? I'd be pretty annoying if I managed to get a good, high level weapon than some jerk nabs the thing.

Speaking of which, is it normal for the overseer to have such little quest variety? The first is always "Oryo's Rrrand", I sometimes get "Beauty and the Beast", and otherwise it's entirely "Justice For All!", which is pretty quick to complete but fighting the same guy over and over and over starts getting dull.

Edit: I'd just like to make sure I've how moves work correct; each stance has a large number of moves and, in turn, each weapon has a number of the moves from it's stance, right? So if you get a new sword, if you've used one of the same stance in the past you may already know some moves for the sword?

Yeah, only a few of the partners have good effects namely Misaki, Minamo, Kana, Kasumi, Ensen, and Momiji. Everyone else will steal your swords, break your swords, steal your money, or eat your stashed food. The ones I listed above are easy to get other than Kasumi and Ensen (Kasumi is the heroine from WoS 2). The easy way to get them to live with you is to go back and forth between locations (this is going to sound cheesy) and then talk to them (not telling them to leave you but the other option). The easiest way is to do the sword catching job (one duo of men in Posting Station and another at The Road) with that partner about 3 times. That and maybe have them follow you around for 2 or 3 regular jobs and then go home with them. Talk to them and you'll have the option for them to stay (this is essential for Ensen and Kasumi since you have to good through hell and high water to recruit them).

Yes, you can have them follow you at all times if you like - which is good for those who steal or destroy your stuff. The benefit is that you automatically have access to them on your next game - except for the ending titled With Osei. If you know you are anywhere close to getting an ending that Osei seems to have lovey-dovey feelings for you then leave your partner home or they will quit on you right before the final scenes. Literally, you will see them walk away.

The quests available depend on how far you've proceeded in the game - trust me Oryo will have the best assassination missions for you once you've ventured further in a story.

If you've gained their full trust or have done 11 total jobs for them
You get to fight the job broker and kill them for their special weapon.
Oryo - Biteikotsu (a razor teeth sword)
Takatane granny - Ookuronama (slow but extremely deadly sword)
Kiyonari - Zannkimaru (super long and fast fencing sword - think Zhou Tai meets Sephiroth)
Joji - Ippatsumaru (awesome for leveling sword)

The only benefit from a sword having the same moves is that you get to keep the XBOX 360 trophy points you will get. You will have to learn every move or use a scroll. Side note, Momiji the young girl outside of Fujimori's castle is a partner that will randomly auto learn you skills if you walk around with her and you both have full health.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven