Way of the Samurai Series

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: Way of the Samurai Series

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:45 am

Zhuanyong wrote:The easiest way is to do the sword catching job (one duo of men in Posting Station and another at The Road) with that partner about 3 times.

Funny you mention that. I bumped into the guy on the Road with that job, mouthed off to him, and had to beat him into the ground when he attacked me.
Another guy in Omiki attacked when I bumped into him! It's actually a nice touch; I mean, if some guy went around bumping into those upper class Samurai or mouthing off to them, you would expect consequences!

Yes, you can have them follow you at all times if you like - which is good for those who steal or destroy your stuff. The benefit is that you automatically have access to them on your next game - except for the ending titled With Osei. If you know you are anywhere close to getting an ending that Osei seems to have lovey-dovey feelings for you then leave your partner home or they will quit on you right before the final scenes. Literally, you will see them walk away.

Ah, so I only need to go on a murder spree once to get Ensen, as long as I keep him with me? That's good to know.

Osei made a pretty bad first impression (you're a horrible Samurai, please go away), so it's unlikey I'd go for her, but thanks for the warning.

The quests available depend on how far you've proceeded in the game - trust me Oryo will have the best assassination missions for you once you've ventured further in a story.

If you've gained their full trust or have done 11 total jobs for them
You get to fight the job broker and kill them for their special weapon.
Oryo - Biteikotsu (a razor teeth sword)
Takatane granny - Ookuronama (slow but extremely deadly sword)
Kiyonari - Zannkimaru (super long and fast fencing sword - think Zhou Tai meets Sephiroth)
Joji - Ippatsumaru (awesome for leveling sword)

I got to the end of a story today and Oryos quest's indeed got a lot better.

I already got the missions to fight Kiyonari and Oryo. I KO'd Kiyonari with a blunt weapon so I could keep getting missions but someone that watched the fight attacked me and finished him off for me. Picked up his sword, but it's stats weren't great for me; I think I got a bad deal from the RNG. Plan to try it out at some point to see how it works out though. I killed Genjuro at one point and his sword looked terrible at first, but after my main one broke it turned out to be great for the giant melee I was in; it was hitting people left and right with it's massive size and seemed pretty durable.
Oryo I spared because I wanted someone giving me missions; Kiyonari was dead, I can't get to Joji, and Misae's quests redefine annoying.
I know about the trick to make tons of money from Ouka now, so the next game where I pick up Donna I'll first take a stop to kill Genjuro for the fourth time (guy was way easier than I expected; it made me overconfident about challenging Shuzen which ended...poorly) and get 1K a day while I wait.

The only benefit from a sword having the same moves is that you get to keep the XBOX 360 trophy points you will get. You will have to learn every move or use a scroll. Side note, Momiji the young girl outside of Fujimori's castle is a partner that will randomly auto learn you skills if you walk around with her and you both have full health.

It'll probably be less annoying to build new weapon skills up when I can buy tons of scrolls, which will be easier once I no longer have to worry about Samurai Points.
I considered Momiji and used her for a bit but she was too slow; I'll probably stick with either Dona or Ensen since they're full speed.

Kinda tempted to do the vegetarian trick I read about on Gamefaqs to just unlock everything but that might be too much. :lol:
Hard to resist, though, since this game having sword making AND dual wielding (most other games only have one or the other) means I can finally have my dream of a guy dual wielding swords called Love and Friendship while being a complete psycho.

Is there a good way to get your strong attacks in against the tough opponents? Even when I counter their push it sometimes lets me get one strong hit in but they quickly recover and I usually have to go back on the defense, which is bad, because my reflexes can't keep up when the tougher opponents switch to push mid-swing, although I had one sword (can't remember the name or stance) that had a forward strong to strong to forward strong where my guy does a sort of stabbing leg sweep which seemed to get past them a lot.

Also, I heard something about selling your swords, but how do you do this (if it's possible)? It could actually make Yukino useful; use her transportable safe to store a ton of weapons after a big fight and go sell them.

Also, the posting station is very annoying. The one store has great stuff, but some Ouka idiots keep attacking me, and idiotic bystanders crowd around to watch and get stabbed, either causing me an evil point or, worse, causing them to attack me, too, and there was one guy there that was surprisingly powerful.

Those blacksmits have no sense of pride in their work, either.
500 yen for forging
-5 attack -4 defense
Dojima: "That what you wanted, right?"
Me: *Draw sword button*
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:12 am

Gray Riders wrote:Is there a good way to get your strong attacks in against the tough opponents? Even when I counter their push it sometimes lets me get one strong hit in but they quickly recover and I usually have to go back on the defense, which is bad, because my reflexes can't keep up when the tougher opponents switch to push mid-swing, although I had one sword (can't remember the name or stance) that had a forward strong to strong to forward strong where my guy does a sort of stabbing leg sweep which seemed to get past them a lot.

It is but you have master the art of push and pull. I breeze through tough opponents now. The only tough opponent is Kirie because he has a spam sweep and stab move that you can't guard and he will spam it on hard. Shuzen is only hard because he duel-wields giving him high attack and defense.

I'd say normal combination followed by a push advanced combination in most circumstances. It varies with each weapon since some weapons are slow or have slow combos. And in the event you haven't noticed any weapon that has a weight of 1-3 will significantly handicap you in some fights because the opponent might hit you multiple times before you land one hit.

Also, I heard something about selling your swords, but how do you do this (if it's possible)?

You can only sell what you are carrying. But swords don't make you much money, golden eggs do.

some Ouka idiots keep attacking me, and idiotic bystanders crowd around to watch and get stabbed, either causing me an evil point or, worse, causing them to attack me, too, and there was one guy there that was surprisingly powerful.

They will only attack you if you have killed one of their members and didn't do a redemption mission or pay Joji 1000 yen. Of course, if you do the mission and kill 100 people (do 10 of those and you can get Ensen) then Fujimori soldiers will attack you at sight. All of the shop bodyguards are overpowered - in fact only a few bosses are stronger than them.

Those blacksmits have no sense of pride in their work, either.
500 yen for forging
-5 attack -4 defense
Dojima: "That what you wanted, right?"
Me: *Draw sword button*

I savescum the blacksmiths - I only accept upgrades of 12+atk 12+def (and they both have to be close to there).

Here is an example of one my custom swords --

Shukun-tou Draw Stance
Atk 270 Def 121
Title Bloodthirsty
Upgrade avg 13.6 Atk 13.2 Def
(Basically a lot of my upgrades were 14/14 or 15/15 etc)

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:41 pm

Zhuanyong wrote:It is but you have master the art of push and pull. I breeze through tough opponents now. The only tough opponent is Kirie because he has a spam sweep and stab move that you can't guard and he will spam it on hard. Shuzen is only hard because he duel-wields giving him high attack and defense.

I'd say normal combination followed by a push advanced combination in most circumstances. It varies with each weapon since some weapons are slow or have slow combos. And in the event you haven't noticed any weapon that has a weight of 1-3 will significantly handicap you in some fights because the opponent might hit you multiple times before you land one hit.

Kirie killed me when I was oh so close to getting my first ending. Jerk.

Yeah, I made sure most of my weapons have 0 weight but Batsu-Ichi had 3, so I was reluctant to pull it out and try to avoid using it against bosses.

Would Sensei would a good opponent to practice with? She has the advantage of not killing you, and I hear she's also a high end opponent.

They will only attack you if you have killed one of their members and didn't do a redemption mission or pay Joji 1000 yen. Of course, if you do the mission and kill 100 people (do 10 of those and you can get Ensen) then Fujimori soldiers will attack you at sight. All of the shop bodyguards are overpowered - in fact only a few bosses are stronger than them.

That would explain that--earlier I tried storming into Ouka's castle to kill them all, since I was working with Fujimori, but the gate was closed. I was able to take out the guards and Itsuse first, which is probably what angered them. I'll try to avoid doing my duty in future playthroughs.

I savescum the blacksmiths - I only accept upgrades of 12+atk 12+def (and they both have to be close to there).

Here is an example of one my custom swords --

Shukun-tou Draw Stance
Atk 270 Def 121
Title Bloodthirsty
Upgrade avg 13.6 Atk 13.2 Def
(Basically a lot of my upgrades were 14/14 or 15/15 etc)

Yeah, I save before using them, too, but it's still annoying how often they'll put out horrible, horrible work and still want full payment. I just don't have the money for tons of reforges yet and if those blade powders and such didn't lower one stat I'd probably use them for early weapons I won't be using forever.
Tempted to try making my own right now--I have a few decent pieces from looting dead people like a fantasy game adventurer, and can easily get something far better than anything I have now. I'd like to trying giving Batsu-ichi's moveset to a weapon that isn;t incredibly heavy--I thing I could get pretty good results.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:00 pm

Gray Riders wrote:
Kirie killed me when I was oh so close to getting my first ending. Jerk.

Yeah, I made sure most of my weapons have 0 weight but Batsu-Ichi had 3, so I was reluctant to pull it out and try to avoid using it against bosses.

Yeah, Kirie ruined one of if not my first endings. I believe it didn't matter for that one though because I only needed to last a certain length of time.

Batsu-ichi will either be 2 or 3 in weight so you won't get much variance with it. I'd suggest watching a few more upper stance movesets as there are some with just as powerful or better moves i.e. Ookuronama which is Misae's weapon.

Would Sensei would a good opponent to practice with? She has the advantage of not killing you, and I hear she's also a high end opponent.

Yes she is, but she will kill you..... by mistake. :lol:

That would explain that--earlier I tried storming into Ouka's castle to kill them all, since I was working with Fujimori, but the gate was closed. I was able to take out the guards and Itsuse first, which is probably what angered them. I'll try to avoid doing my duty in future playthroughs.

You don't have to miss out on that. You probably just didn't do the one Ouka cutscene to get them to open their doors. Even if you join Fujimori just make sure you go to Ouka's front gates and speak to the guy and ask him to let you join or use you (whatever the option is).

Yeah, I save before using them, too, but it's still annoying how often they'll put out horrible, horrible work and still want full payment. I just don't have the money for tons of reforges yet and if those blade powders and such didn't lower one stat I'd probably use them for early weapons I won't be using forever.
Tempted to try making my own right now--I have a few decent pieces from looting dead people like a fantasy game adventurer, and can easily get something far better than anything I have now. I'd like to trying giving Batsu-ichi's moveset to a weapon that isn't incredibly heavy--I thing I could get pretty good results.

That's one of the downsides to starting out, you can't effectively savescum on them. I usually save & savescum (never leaving that town during the process) then once I run out of money, kill Dojima and collect everything I've spent. The game will continue to assume he still holds your money as long you never leave the area and keep saving after a great upgrade.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:15 pm

Zhuanyong wrote:Yeah, Kirie ruined one of if not my first endings. I believe it didn't matter for that one though because I only needed to last a certain length of time.

Batsu-ichi will either be 2 or 3 in weight so you won't get much variance with it. I'd suggest watching a few more upper stance movesets as there are some with just as powerful or better moves i.e. Ookuronama which is Misae's weapon.

Unfortunately, the FAQs imply you need to do Misae's quests to get her weapon (can't just attack her in town) and those quests are far too annoying, even for someone that's used to ludicrous fetch quests in other games.

Yes she is, but she will kill you..... by mistake. :lol:

Fortunately, I never fight a strong opponent without ten eggs. Those things are amazing; 200 HP for only 50 yen!
Of course, I have had times where strong guys took me from about half health to dead in one blow; I'm guessing that's how Sensei can finish you off?

You don't have to miss out on that. You probably just didn't do the one Ouka cutscene to get them to open their doors. Even if you join Fujimori just make sure you go to Ouka's front gates and speak to the guy and ask him to let you join or use you (whatever the option is).

Yeah, I joined both of them in an earlier game that ended after I got shanked by someone (not sure who--could have been a Killer on the road), but I assumed my current character ruined his chances when he beat up Yuma on the road after he attacked me. :lol:

That's one of the downsides to starting out, you can't effectively savescum on them. I usually save & savescum (never leaving that town during the process) then once I run out of money, kill Dojima and collect everything I've spent. The game will continue to assume he still holds your money as long you never leave the area and keep saving after a great upgrade.

I'd heard about the Dojima money trick and will probably use it, if only to preserve my sanity while paying those guys 10K+ to get a good upgrade.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:23 pm

Gray Riders wrote:Unfortunately, the FAQs imply you need to do Misae's quests to get her weapon (can't just attack her in town) and those quests are far too annoying, even for someone that's used to ludicrous fetch quests in other games.

I'd suggest to do her missions after you get midway-late through the game then. Most are either beat the thief, rescue the kidnapped village girl (first time it will be Kana, a partner who can increase your safe at home by 3%), assassinate Shuzen (this one is fun), or stop the Fujimori-Ouka war at Kuchihagahara. That way you can avoid the find my underwear and push me to X point missions.

EDIT: I forgot, if you leave the area and come back she may give you a mission to your liking.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sanada » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:21 pm

I was buying the 3 game but saw that is a game very small with not so much to explore (well that was i read in some reviews) too bad the 4 game didn't came out for the xbox 360 :(
Sanada
Tyro

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:36 pm

Sanada wrote:I was buying the 3 game but saw that is a game very small with not so much to explore (well that was i read in some reviews) too bad the 4 game didn't came out for the xbox 360 :(

It isn't too small. Just not the best in regards to running all over the place. The game generally has about 8 or 9 locations, half of which is pretty much in and out. The bad part is is that once you've played through it a few times. Locations-wise the game will become uninteresting. The different story branches and some of the jobs you can take on is what sells the game. That and the sword gameplay mechanics combined with innuendos such as sword creation, changing in-game relationship dynamics, etc.

I will have to get a PS3 in order to play Samurai Dou 4, that is if it comes state-side. I'm not getting a PS3 if I have to get it as an import.

EDIT: What I meant about changing relationships includes things such as all the townspeople following (or better yet chasing) you like lovesick groupies. Also, depending on the town/village you may see things pop up like all the women telling you '[Insert name], you're so sexy!' and other things I won't mention. Some of the men even say stuff like that. And on the flip side, if they hate you they will either run in fear and panic or try to kick you and run. Or if they are a soldier or thug, they will try to kill you.
Last edited by Zhuanyong on Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sanada » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:42 pm

Yeah i was a bit naive because i was looking for a samurai game GTA style, thats why i was a bit dsapointed about the 3 game, saw on the web that the 4 game was annouced few months later to the europe and the xbox hope when they make a Europe announced they dont forget about the xbox players :|
Last edited by Sanada on Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sanada
Tyro

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:47 pm

Yeah, the game is fun though if you can ever get it. I spent (recorded in-game anyway) over 300 hours playing the game.

Side note, and this is off topic --I responded to your posting in the Art thread.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven