Greatest classic side scroller ever?

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Which classic side scroller 'beat 'em up/shoot 'em up' series was the greatest ever?

Altered Beast
No votes
Bad Dudes
No votes
Contra
No votes
Double Dragon
50%
Final Fight
No votes
Ninja Gaiden
No votes
Streets of Rage
13%
TMNT
13%
Other
25%

Total votes : 8

Greatest classic side scroller ever?

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:18 am

Please select one of the options and explain why you believe it was the best. If you have another option that you believe is better then please list and explain. As the question states, what was the best classic side scroller?

Double Dragon in my opinion was the best series of the side scroller genre. Me, my brothers, cousins, and friends played countless hours on the NES between 1,2, & 3 of this series. Dying over and over again countless times and laughing about it at the same time. We loved Double Dragon 2 the most of the games as it had some of our more memorable villains such as 'Commando' (the guy who looked like Arnold Schwarzenegger) and twin ninjas. We actually put in quite a bit of time with Double Dragon 3 as well with the extra guys added that you could swap between. It had awesome music and a pretty good plot for the first 2 games at least. It was so good that they did a rip off on the theme music on River City Ransom and even went as far as having the two bodyguards for the main villain use it as their theme - and they were called the 'Twin Dragons-Randy & Mandy(?)'.

And who can forget the up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, select - start code for those of us who just couldn't beat the game without aid. Of course I went back as a teen and beat it without the codes. Ahh, nostalgia...
Last edited by Zhuanyong on Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Greatest classic side scroller ever?

Unread postby Rick Shaw » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:02 am

Out of your list I had to decide between Final Fight and Streets of Rage, myself. I finally went with Streets of Rage, because it had a more gritty touch. And shut up anyone who thinks its funny the police detective picked a game about a trio of rogue police officers who tear the criminal underworld a new butt-hole. :P

I never really got into the Double Dragons, except for the first one. I thought it was pretty awesome how you fought your own comrade to the death for a hot chick, though. Not the best dramatically, but a neat idea on a gameplay point of view.

It wasn't until after I'd already voted that I realized there was one I should have picked, instead. I suppose it may not really count as a series, since there was only ever one made, that I know of. It was an old NES gem called P.O.W.: Prisoners of War. You played as a commanod named Bart (he was named Snake in the arcade version) who had to escape from a POW camp and fight his way through the jungle to finally take out a 7-foot-tall shirtless commando leader in hand-to-hand combat. It was made by SNK, I used that play the hell out of that game when I was a kid.
Interested in (Pseudo)Historical Fiction stories? Want to read about Ancient Chinese Heroes, Tragic Valkyries, Rambunctious Squires, and Frenetic Mercenaries? Just interested in the real-life travails of a police detective?
~Rick Shaw: Redefining History
Rick Shaw
Apprentice

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:16 am

NES Double Dragon was good, but for me it loses points b/c the arcade version was so much better. Also, I asked my parents for it one Christmas, and instead they got me Mickey Mousecapade. :<

I'd have to go with Super Mario Bros. as the best side-scroller I've played.
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:22 am

Sorry about that Tigger of Kai, when I made the poll I actually meant to put 'beat 'em up/shoot 'em up'. I reworded it, I actually wasn't referring to all side scrollers. I would've had to put SMB, Sonic, & quite a few others over some of the selections I did put up.

I also reset the poll as it wasn't clear as to what the poll was referring to in regards to 'all' side scrollers or 'beat 'em up/shoot 'em up side scrollers.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Rick Shaw » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:19 am

Ooo, you brought new blood to the table with Altered Beast and TMNT. As great as TMNT was, I still realy enjoyed P.O.W. So I hit Other for it. :)
Interested in (Pseudo)Historical Fiction stories? Want to read about Ancient Chinese Heroes, Tragic Valkyries, Rambunctious Squires, and Frenetic Mercenaries? Just interested in the real-life travails of a police detective?
~Rick Shaw: Redefining History
Rick Shaw
Apprentice

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:57 pm

I remember begging my mother to give me a quarter to play P.O.W. at the arcade a many of occasion. I believe I only got to play it once and I died within seconds if not a minute of starting. :oops:

Actually of the games listed and others I can think of, though Double Dragon was my favorite all-time console beat'em up side scroller - my favorite arcade one would probably be a tie between TMNT. I could remember me, my bros, and friends wasting dollar upon dollar at Chuckie Cheese's whenever someones birthday came up.

We played the heck out of that Simpsons arcade game too, that came out in the 90's.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Jordan » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:45 pm

Simpson's Arcade game was the best.

TMNT 3 and Turtles in Time, Double Dragon, Contra and Final Fight were also great. Contra doesn't really belong with the others though, in my opinion.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhuanyong » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:11 pm

It probably doesn't but, I was thinking of side scroller action series of the genre and its popularity in the past had me believe it could be squeezed in. But compared to the others it could easily be considered non-inclusive.

[No comment]
Zhuanyong
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Zhanghe_of_Wei » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:41 am

I really enjoyed the Streets of Rage (Bare Knuckle) games. I'd likely still play it if I have the Sega Megadrive :P The levels, character moves are fun..And I always to use Blaze. :lol:

Altered Beast is also fun, especially in 2-player mode.

Contra was my first such game. I found it really it hard, prob was also due to my age at the time :lol:
"Knowledge is not as important as imagination. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world" - Albert Einstein
"In the end, it's not the years in your life that counts. It's the life in your years." -Abraham Lincoln
Zhanghe_of_Wei
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kayzr » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:35 pm

The arcade version of Double Dragon.
Let us begin with Zeus, whom we mortals never leave unspoken.
For every street, every market-place is full of Zeus.
Even the sea and the harbour are full of this deity.
Everywhere everyone is indebted to Zeus.
For we are indeed his offspring.
Kayzr
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Next

Return to Gamers’ Haven