Civilization 5

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Civilization 5

Unread postby Jordan » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:21 am

Downloading it off Steam right now. I think it looks amazing.

Anybody looking forward to/playing/in an amorous relationship with Civ 5?
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Civilization 5

Unread postby Marc » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:53 am

Really looking forward to the game, but it doesn't unlock on our Steam until Friday. Curses!
Roses are red, violets are blue,
Omae wa mo shindeiru
Marc
Robot In Disguise
Robot In Disguise

Unread postby Mikhail » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:43 am

I'm definitely interested in getting the game. I'm just unsure if it deserves a purchase before Starcraft 2. The only other Civ game I played was Revo, and I thought that was awesome.
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby Ranbir » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:48 pm

This game does not exist until Friday, okay?

By the by, I'm a big fan of the forests. They look like they're from an oil painting. Much better than the ugly 3d swaying papercuts from 4, or like how Total War do it. Very lovely.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Jordan » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:23 am

I haven't been able to properly play it yet unfortunately. Apparently the game doesn't support older Intel graphics cards (or at least the one I have), so I have to go get a Nvidia or ATI one to run the game. It's on my to-do list.

I hate technical stuff.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Marc » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:39 am

Only played for an hour and a half before I had to leave the house, but so far I think I'm going to be sinking serious time into this game. They definitely have cut out a lot of the more complex elements, but I don't mind that quite so much as I always just took more enjoyment out of building a huge empire than dealing with the minutae. Combat seems a lot better, and I'm liking the hexagonal grid.

Kind of bummed that they seem to have removed choosing your specific political ideology and religion, though.
Omae wa mo shindeiru
Marc
Robot In Disguise
Robot In Disguise

Unread postby Marc » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:11 pm

Argh! The game just crashed to desktop one turn before my nukes were finished. FML!
Omae wa mo shindeiru
Marc
Robot In Disguise
Robot In Disguise

Unread postby Mikhail » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:39 am

I bought it two days ago but I haven't really sat down to play it much. The reason being, is that in the lowest graphical settings, it does not do the game at all any justice and I would prefer to experience it in all it's glory in a few days. Still, that intro FMV was really quite incredible.
Mikhail

Unread postby Marc » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:46 am

Yeah, the opening cutscene was really impressive, especially the fire.
Omae wa mo shindeiru
Marc
Robot In Disguise
Robot In Disguise

Unread postby Mikhail » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:28 am

Getting beat down. Well, I've been having a bit of trouble getting myself powerful. I've won three times now, on the first 3 difficulties with domination victory with ease but at the fourth difficulty, I wanted to try a different style of victory. Unfortunately, I didn't plan on what my victory would be - due to the fact that I didn't know the other ways to win aside from the Utopia project - and now I'm being left behind.

I am playing in the Earth map with 8 nations at around 1200 AD and I was situated in the seemingly devoid of resources area of North/West Africa. I've got a ton of sugar and some luxury items, but I am lacking in iron which has kept my domination of the whole of Africa to a minimum. I'm playing as the Germans and I'm sharing Africa with 5 City States and India, the latter being having the south of Africa on relative lockdown. I've been lucky to be able to have the German special pikemen to be my main source of units, but without a sure supply of iron, I am unable to get any of the siege weapons or the powerful steel units that would help me a great deal. I'm just screwed at the moment. I don't think I could win this game at all at this point in time.

I have to ask, in terms of the other methods to victory, will the other nations start putting on the pressure and attacking me when I get close to victory? I remember trying to do the wealth victory in Civilization Revolution and when I had the World Bank, I had to defend until it was finally completed.
Mikhail

Next

Return to Gamers’ Haven