Dragon Age 2

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: Dragon Age 2

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:43 pm

Big boobs are one thing, but every single character making pamela anderson look flat chested is ridiculous. Moderation needs to be used.
Oh my my, oh hell yes, your gettin buried in your party dress.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby TigerGeneral6 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:03 pm

I loved Dragon Age:Origins. Its up there with my favourite games of all time. However for some strange reason I didnt expect the sequel to be anywhere near the standard Origins set, personally, it seems I was correct. I thought the demo was fairly dreadful, at least in comparison to the first, almost everything seems worse. Still, it seems I'm under EA/Biowares thumb, I just can't resist buying it, so i'm going to :P
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Fear Denies Faith
TigerGeneral6
Assistant

Unread postby Jordan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:52 am

Heard this game sucked, which kinda surprised me. A lot of people seem to be up in arms about it. I was actually thinking of maybe jumping into this series too.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Elitemsh » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:40 am

SlickSlicer wrote:Heard this game sucked, which kinda surprised me. A lot of people seem to be up in arms about it. I was actually thinking of maybe jumping into this series too.

I doubt it sucks. The reviews are not quite as high as the original but they're still pretty high. Best to trust reviews from a number of different sources and if they all rate the game highly then it obviously must be good. Some people were just probably expecting too much and are thus bitter because it didn't fulfill the goals they had set for it. Their opinions therefore in many cases are clouded and not very reliable. Also whining is contagious to many.
''I've never fought for anyone but myself. I've got no purpose in life. No ultimate goal. It's only when I'm cheating death on the battlefield. The only time I feel truly alive.'' ~Solid Snake
Elitemsh
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Mikhail » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:45 am

I've played a couple of hours of it so far. I'm liking it a lot. There's a bit more involvement to be had for the actual player, though everything seems to be dumbed down a bit to incorporate a more flashy tone in the game. Quests seem to be a bit on the short end though,k which I find fine simply because it keeps giving me a sense of accomplishment in large doses.
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby Antiochus » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:43 pm

The game is actually pretty good. They might have simplified the RPG element a bit too much for my taste, but they make it up with a story that is actually much more involving (imo), a better and faster fighting system and a graphic style that has this stylish.

As far as Bioware goes, this is a decent game. Thumbs up! :D

Oh, and yes, when Isabella shows up, he bust takes way too much space on my screen. I like fan-service as much as the next young male adult, but this is... excessive... :lol:
If they can abolish fanaticism, let us pray for the advent of the sceptics.

Raymond Aron
The Opium of the Intellectuals
Antiochus
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:03 pm

Parts of it are good, parts of it are very very bad to the point of me frustratingly asking Bioware why did they even bother.

edit:

Every freakin' side quest is someone missing.

Anyway, I think I'm gonna write a reader review for this, parts of this game are so good but then...it just frustrates beyond belief...

The sequences in cut-scenes, the story telling the conversations are great. But EVERYTHING in-between is inconsistent. It totally ruins the flow of the game's narrative and frankly, in this modern era of gaming where Bioware are trying to make it like a movie, they're not doing the right things to get it movie style at all. Most great RPGs have had the feeling of being a novel; it demands a different kind of interaction with the reader/player; our imagination. There isn't much left to imagine in DA because everything is visually on display for us...of course, what they've presented is dull-as-dishwater; this could have been fine if they were really doing a traditional game, but they haven't, so they really should have cut it out completely. (For example, lifeless npcs that don't do anything or react to your actions...the contrast to the personalities of npcs in cut-scenes is extremely noticeable and so creates an inconsistency in the DA-world)

Further problems when talking to companions...when you start it, the assumption is they were there and you arrived to see them alone, totally ignoring you actually came there with that companion IN YOUR PARTY. What makes it worse is when you have two 'companion conversations' one after the other...there is no natural flow from one to the other...

Which brings on the problem about the passage of time. There is none, outside the main narrative. It seems each jump in that is assuming that you play one moment of time within it. Atleast 24 hours...

I realised this
when I asked a companion to move in with me...but the relationship in acknowledging the living in part really only came to fruition after the next main story jump

All in all, this isn't an RPG...what it IS, is a great 3rd person action game that has a strong interactive narrative which is great for the third person action genre...but sadly all the half-arsed elements they've left in as token-gestures to us RPG enthusiasts end up working against what actually makes the game good.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Adam » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:03 am

Pretty much agree with Ranbir.

Not really a spoiler, more of a save you from getting excited at something explanation.
I wish they had explained the Sten thing a little bit instead of making me have to Google it to find out it's not a cameo but apparently a Qunari title.

It's also been buggier for me (at least from my experience playing Origins)..I've had a couple of lock-ups but nothing excessive...only really annoying thing I came across was my character's arms getting stuck as if she were holding her weapons out...it was actually kind of amusing during conversations to see her in the fighting stance while casually talking to people.

I find myself getting more interested in the story in this one than I did in the original despite the fact that you aren't given any sort of major goal until near the end...most of it is trying to get something done for a specific time before it jumps ahead several years.

Boss fight related
The only part I really got mauled by was fighting the Arishok...I was with a shoddy group when I got there and I was never given the option to duel him...with all the NPCs in that room I kept getting destroyed since the mages would literally die with one hit from the Arishok...ended up reloading and putting together a better group but for some reason got the duel request and did that instead...even one-on-one (I was a DW rogue) he could slap me around like nothing...took a lot of kiting but was far simpler than having to fight all the Qunari in the room.
Guy's freakin' OP even on Casual.
-亚当
Adam
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:51 am

From my limited play time i have to say.... DAO was vastly superior. I just dont get that must play feeling i got with DAO or ME2 or a slew of other games. I'm finding myself playing WoW and SW3 more than DA2. I all but quit wow for a few weeks when i got origins. I cant really place my finger on it, but as much as i loved DAO bioware didnt do too well in parlaying it into a sequel. My biggest issue (though not a factor in my play time whatsoever) is that they forced upon me Hawke. I want my personalized character back. I want to feel like im playing an RPG again, not an action game with RPG elements.
Oh my my, oh hell yes, your gettin buried in your party dress.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Elitemsh » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:01 pm

I got this game a few days ago and although it's still early days, i've got to agree with general consensus around here. This game really does lack the spark of the original. For me the original started in a pretty explosive way, at least with the human noble origin. The story was powerful right from the beginning but it this one is wanting in that department. I don't feel the same energy with this game. It's still a good game but so far it definitely doesn't come close to the original or Mass Effect 2. Having said that, i've barely scratched the surface so my opinion isn't that informed yet but i felt like giving it anyway. I'll persevere and hopefully the game will pick up a bit more.
''I've never fought for anyone but myself. I've got no purpose in life. No ultimate goal. It's only when I'm cheating death on the battlefield. The only time I feel truly alive.'' ~Solid Snake
Elitemsh
Scholar of Shen Zhou

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven