Shogun 2: Total War

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: Shogun 2: Total War

Unread postby Jordan » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:20 am

Mestre Will wrote:Hey see this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mnrx51XjaJs

Is show the battle gameplay of the Shogun 2, ow it much better (either the first and the Napolean) , the battles now can be at night.

:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

Total War games have had night-time battles since RTW Barbarian Invasion. In Medieval Total War 2 they happen all the time. I didn't play Empire and Napoleon so I dunno about those.

Elaborating on the topic of "China: Total War," though, I find it weird that they haven't made it already. Ever since the beginning the developers have seemed to show a veneration of Sun Tzu. They wrote like dozens of pages about him in the Shogun Total War manual and quote him all the time in Rome Total War and probably some of the others.

There isn't exactly a shortage of Chinese pithy sayings or interesting periods of war in Chinese history to cover with Total War's unique artistic license added on.

Now that I think about it, I probably am not going to be able to play this given my cruddy computer. That's a real bummer. In past total war games I could usually play on the lowest settings with no real slowdown. I hope that the developers keep it like that. Otherwise I might just get a better PC for gaming.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:45 pm

So far more information about this game is now out:
http://www.totalwar.com/shogun2/

I got to say the limited edition version that allows you to play as the Hattori is making me think about pre-ordering it...
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Harimau » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:16 am

A question to US people - how much is the game on US Steam?

Steam is selling it to Australians for USD 90, which seems incredibly high...
If I'm posting here, it means I'm procrastinating.
Harimau
Shangshu Ling

Unread postby Catalyst » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:25 pm

It looks like it'll be the standard $50 here. Maybe that's a special edition or something? That seems rather absurd.
Catalyst
Apostle of Peace

Unread postby Harimau » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:33 pm

Catalyst wrote:It looks like it'll be the standard $50 here. Maybe that's a special edition or something? That seems rather absurd.

It's the standard edition.

This always happens to us... Civ V was also sold to us for USD 90.

New PS3 and Xbox games are also sold to us for the equivalent of USD 90-110.

Damn their black hearts. Time to import!
If I'm posting here, it means I'm procrastinating.
Harimau
Shangshu Ling

Unread postby Tiger of Kai » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:05 am

I've never played any Total War games, but I'm definitely going to pick this up in March. I hope it's easy to pick up on. :oops:
Tiger of Kai
Initiate

Unread postby Jordan » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:03 am

Tiger of Kai wrote:I've never played any Total War games, but I'm definitely going to pick this up in March. I hope it's easy to pick up on. :oops:

I actually think the Total War games are pretty accessible. Control isn't too difficult and they usually provide tutorials that explain things with pretty good detail. In addition, in nearly every battle you'll have an adviser that will give you pretty decent strategy tips (such as how to deal with certain units, generally your enemy's). Depending on how the battle sways, the adviser will usually provide you with pretty topical information. So if you charge your cavalry into a spearwall, they'll give you a warning. But on the other hand if you charge at those spearmen's backs, the adviser will give you a thumbs up (while doing this is not the best idea, it's the best possible option for cavalry against spearmen). I don't think they will change that in Shogun Total War 2 because it's been a prominent feature in most Total War games.

I must admit though that I am envious of people able to play this game. My computer is nowhere near good enough and I love this series to death. So far I like what they're doing with the clans as well. The Chosokabe was a great choice. I predict they will add the Otomo as well.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:59 am

I'm most likely looking at GPU upgrade to get this game to run smoothly. I can get by on low settings, but when new games are coming out and low is just barely doin it, upgrade time is right around the corner.
Oh my my, oh hell yes, your gettin buried in your party dress.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Omega52 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:12 pm

"I mistrust the judgement of every man in a case in which his own wishes are concerned."- Field Marshal Arthur Wellesley
Omega52
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:53 am

Okay, some points I like:

Performance. Is only a demo and don't want to get carried away but the game seemed to just run better than Empire.

The jappiness. Very jappanywanny, naturally, still doesn't feel atmospheric as the first for some reason but whatever, sengoku jidai here we come. I'm still not sure about the voices, I can't help think that they're just getting guys to put on the accent, rather than having genuine articles, but that may not be the case at all, just my suspiciousness at work.

The campaign management, very glad they took on board the improvements Empire brought and liking the family tree. However, am not liking the number of agents possible on a campaign map, that is just unwieldy micro that I would expect to have been done better by now.

The game is pretty and has a dreamy haze about it, reminds of me King Arthur and that is good.

edit: worrying aspects

My daimyo died in battle (auto resolve), entire army was crushed no survivors but the game didn't acknowledge it. Could be bug, could be tutorial nature not ever expecting it.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven