Gilgamesh...worthy of a game perhaps?

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Does Gilgamesh deserve to be a main playable character?

Mwuhaha! Fly Enkidu! This is finally our story!
33%
Come Enkidu..we shall assist this hero
22%
Same as always...Let's test the skills of yet another swordman and be off to another world.
44%

Total votes : 9

Gilgamesh...worthy of a game perhaps?

Unread postby Xiahou Jia » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:25 pm

Gilgamesh's popularity among FF gamers is quite known. Some gamers believe that he deserves way more than occassional appearances. I also believe that Gilgamesh deserves to be the main playable character and hope that one day I'll see something like Final Fantasy: Legendary Swordman in the EB games store with a Clash on the Big Bridge as the main theme:)
Retired...
Xiahou Jia
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Gilgamesh...worthy of a game perhaps?

Unread postby Qu Hui » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:35 pm

While there might be some interest in a game starring Gilgamesh, there might not be enough for a developmer to take the idea seriously. Gilgamesh's role in the FF series is mostly comic relief and cameos, and the only game where he serves as more than that is FFVIII.
My avatar is Roy from Fire Emblem: Binding Blade, as he appears in Fire Emblem: Awakening
Quote of the "Day": "The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before." -Neil Gaiman
Qu Hui
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Lordyuanshu » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:44 pm

Seems to me that he had a big role in Final Fantasy 5 (second villain and then becomes an ally of sorts by the end). I don't even remember his role in Final Fantasy VIII....

Worthy of a game? I don't know, if nothing else he has some popularity so I'm sure it could be done.

To be honest I've seen enough of him after that second hunt in FFXII with Enkidou....
Lordyuanshu
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:30 pm

Who was he in VIII again?
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Kong Wen » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:36 pm

I sure hope not.

The only way a Final Fantasy spinoff based on some comic relief crossover cameo is if it has another "hook", like a genre change or something (action, mystery dungeon, etc.).
"We spread the time as we can, but in the end the world takes it all back."
— Roland Deschain, Wolves of the Calla
Kong Wen
The Bronze Age of SoSZ
The Bronze Age of SoSZ

Unread postby Sean » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:54 pm

I approve of Gilgamesh of having his own game, but only from a different viewpoint. I'm referring to his Final Fantasy 5 character though, not 8 (since I haven't played it). The game would start with Gilgamesh, as a wandering swordsman in Galuf's world, with no goal in life, and then he ends up in Exdeath's army, and then he battles Galuf (as well as Bartz and co.) and then ultimately leading up to Gilgamesh fighting Exdeath because of really weird plot holes here and there.

...No, I don't approve of it actually. A spin-off perhaps, but not his own game. He'd be cool in a hack-'n-slash game though. :roll:
#sosz @ irc.lunarnet.org
Open 24/7 for discussion. [Please take time zones into consideration.]
Sean
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Ranbir » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:11 pm

I thought you meant the actual poem. That'd be worthy of adaptation, for sure.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Tigger of Kai » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:51 pm

Ranbir wrote:I thought you meant the actual poem. That'd be worthy of adaptation, for sure.

But of course we all remember that such a game came packaged with the old Adventure Construction Set! 8-)
Mithril! The dwarves tell no tales. But just as it was the foundation of their wealth, so also it was their destruction. They delved too greedily and too deep, and disturbed that from which they fled.
Tigger of Kai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby rewells » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:33 pm

Hey y'all,

I'm an amateur game designer and I just finished a project in which Gilgamesh is the main character. The story is based on The Epic of Gilgamesh and uses graphics and music from Final Fantasy IV-VI. You can see details and download it from my website: gilgameshgame.com

Just thought it may be of interest.
rewells
Tyro

Unread postby Jordan » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:34 pm

Ranbir wrote:I thought you meant the actual poem. That'd be worthy of adaptation, for sure.

That would be epic.
Jordan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Return to Gamers’ Haven