Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Unread postby Zhao Yun of Changshan » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:03 pm

To me, the storyline was amazingly short but incredibly good. I liked the mix of exotic locations coupled with 'classic' terrorist scenarios that are played throughout the campaign. I'm sad to see no AC-130 gunship missions or air support options for most of it but that's negligible compared to what's already there. One thing I definitely wished made it into the game was the ability to select firing modes for your weapon like in the Rainbow Six: Las Vegas series. Again, it's something negligible but would have definitely been a nice touch especially for guns such as the FAL and G3. Also, a very impressive score composed by Hans Zimmer bring out the most of each mission, loved the music.

Spec ops offers awesome short coop bursts of action. I've been soloing most of it and have gotten 3-stars on most of the levels except Snatch and Grab, and the whole Echo group of missions. Multiplayer is where I'm at right now. Anyone else playing online on the PS3? I'm on there as Heck-tic working on weapon mastering right now. Also if anyone wants to do some Echo missions on Veteran let me know.
"None dare to engage the warrior at Dangyang....."
Zhao Yun of Changshan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Unread postby Mikhail » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:47 pm

Yeah, I'm gaming on the PS3. I've been wanting to do a few coop rounds myself, but my friends all rather play TDM. So if you want to add me, its la_Boomstick

Personally, as far as I've gotten so far, I'm not too excited about the game. Sure it's good, but I think it could have been better. Maybe because I just wasn't hyped up for it initially.
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby Ranbir » Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:57 pm

It could be because IW have made a Hollywood action game, which was what made them leave Medal of Honour in the first place. It has been considerably underwhelming, particularly compared to their previous three CoDs, which is surprising.
"The imaginary number is a fine and wonderful resource of the human spirit, almost an amphibian between being and not being." - Gottfried Leibniz
Science snobbery.
Ranbir
For Queen and Country

Unread postby Mikhail » Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:08 pm

I think it would be fine if it was all Hollywood, if there was some sort of coherence to everything about it. I'm about maybe 2/3rds of the story and nothing has really caught me. I'm fighting everywhere, and I'm thinking, "so what?"

And the whole invasion angle is just stupid, I think. Im sure it's supposed to illicit emotion from the player but me not being American, it doesn't really hit home. I would have rather liked it if they stayed like a special corps team or something instead of the whole modern warriors kind of thing.

And who doesn't love the realism of the 60 foot snowmobile jump?
Soweneul Malhaebwa (Tell me your wish).
Mikhail
Great Sage Equaling Heaven

Unread postby Zhao Yun of Changshan » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:37 am

I think my cousin summed it up best as "awesome but not so much at the same time." There definitely seems to be a lot more Hollywood influence on this title than the previous one. While it does make it cool that the player can draw and relate to some of those scenarios (Collateral, Red Dawn, The Rock, Black Hawk Down) it does lose some originality for it at the same time.
"None dare to engage the warrior at Dangyang....."
Zhao Yun of Changshan
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Separation Anxiety » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:21 am

I find the invasion angle kinda cool. I have always been interested in how a country would go about invading the US and how successful that would be. You dont see anywhere in North American being full blown invaded like europe and asian countries have been before, unless you count the revolutionary war, which was a different situation.
Oh my my, oh hell yes, your gettin buried in your party dress.
Separation Anxiety
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby talon1579 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:22 pm

Without revealing any spoilers, I thought leaving the ending so open was a mistake, obviously we'll have to buy MW3 to find out what happens. I'm Talon1579 on the PSN (Mikhail, I definately have u on my friends list already).

Predictions for MW3:

-Roach is still alive - we don't actually see him die, just get set on fire. He'll make it
-Russians to retreat, large battle in New York (as Ramirez) involving the Statue of Liberty in some capacity.
-Ramirez dies
-Price, Soap, Nikolai and possible Roach are fugitives on the hunt for Makharov
-Some sort of undercover mission
-Chinese invasion of West Coast + Chinese weaponry
-Another nuke
-Co-op campaign
-Multiplayer to be very similar to COD 4 and 6 - but with even more customisation (armour)
talon1579
Changshi

Unread postby Devilrai » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:06 am

This is coming from person who has never play any game in the Call of Duty series despite the hype from Modern Warfare I still didn't get the game then, I gave in this time. The first thing that struck me about this game was the score as mentioned above is great, Zimmer did a great job as always. Next has to be the storyline, I eager to find out what happens to Soap and his gang (Task Force 141?). As for bringing the fight to America, it was a smart move by the story writers. I really enjoying multiplayer as much as Uncharted 2's multiplayer, its very deep and unique. I haven't even touched Spec-Ops as much as I should, the multiplayer man, its a drug! :shock:
Devilrai
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby talon1579 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:47 pm

Spec Ops is a bit of a let down. There's no checkpoints so a lot of missions you spend ages on just learning where the enemies are. Also there's no seperate credit for completing missions by yourself, which is almost impossible as you can't be revived.

I'm not so keen on the MP. They've "noobified" it quite a lot compared to COD 4 and 5. For example, in 4, the difference between assault rifles and SMGs was much greater - rifles did a lot more damage but had greater recoil, so you had to fire in bursts at any range, while SMGs you could fire fully auto but their range was low.

Now assault rifles (especially the ACR, SCAR and M4) have almost zero recoil so work well at any range, even against sniper rifles. SMGs don't really have any advantage except at point-blank (sub 5 metre) ranges if you use akimbo or rapid-fire (or both). but there's little point as you suffer at long range so you may as well just hip-fire the rifles.

LMGs are also pointless in MW2 - in cod 4/5 you got great accuracy at all ranges with the tradeoff of long reload time. Now that the assault rifles have amazing accuracy you don't need LMGs. Also they can't compete with SMGs at close range as the mobility is very low. The developers seem to have used it to shoehorn more assult rifles in - we get the LMG versions of the AUG and L86, which both turn out crap.

Sniping is about the only improvement - you can now kill with upper chest shots without stopping power. Also the thermal scope evens up the field for snipers a lot.

The secondary weapons are good, but render the USP and M9 pistols pointless when you can have a machine pistol or a shotgun.

For MW3 I'd like to see LMGs have amazing accuracy when lying down, ok when crouching but terrible otherwise. Assault rifles should be much worse when hipfiring but accurate when sighting. SMGs should be good when hip-firing and a slight improvement when sighted. And also no silenced shotguns or LMGs... there's no such thing.
talon1579
Changshi

Unread postby Baiko Arashi » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:17 pm

Billy62289 is my psn s/n

ill be playing RIGHT NOW and most likely all day and night, so send a invite my way. I'm always up to play with my brothers from SOSZ.
eh, ill find something witty to put here later.

Nothing do your mortal soul.
Arashi Baiko
Combat: 100
Command: 85
Charisma: 75
Intelligence: 70
Baiko Arashi
Prison Warden of SoSZ

Next

Return to Gamers’ Haven