What are you playing right now?

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: What are you playing right now?

Unread postby Ayame » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:04 pm

Bravely Default. Most fun, and I just got the sequel.
Ayame
Academic

Unread postby Aaron.K » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:53 pm

Been playing Project Reality lately, now that it's a standalone mod and doesn't require Battlefield 2 to play. Got interested in it because a streamer on hitbox I watch started playing it recently, so now I play with him whenever he streams it. He's also in the process of getting a dedicated server for it too, which should be nice.
"Why have you come to Jotunheim all alone?"
Aaron.K
Master

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:56 am

I mentioned Hearts of Iron IV before, and I guess this is just an update. I'd decided, for my first game, to go with a "Italy First" game.

Each nation has "national focuses" they can take, which take 70 days each. Most minor nations have a generic focus tree, but the 7 major powers (USA, UK, France, Germany, Italy, USSR, and Japan) all have a unique tree. This includes things like bonuses to your army/navy/air forces, constructing infrastructure or factories in provinces, as well as political and diplomatic decisions - as an example, Italy has to make an exclusive choice in it's diplomatic/political branch as to whether to befriend Yugoslavia, or claim Yugoslavian land as your own. You can see Italy's tree here.

The "Italy First" decision is mutually exclusive from "Pact of Steel", which is essentially joining the Axis with Germany. By going Italy First, you decide to not join the Axis, and rather form your own faction, "Nova Imperium Romanum", which let you play nice with the other Balkan states, potentially getting them to join your faction (which is ultimately what I did).

I also rushed France early, before they could join the allies, and hoped to use their land to push for future conquest. I believe in the game it's now early 1940, and I've conquered France, Germany, Britain, and most of the Balkan States are now in with me. The only power to join Germany in the Axis was Hungary, who was smashed by my Balkan allies. I'm currently trying to consolidate my English holdings, and now preparing for the USA, who joined with the UK while I was invading their island. Unfortunately, my navy has been completely demolished by the superior UK fleet, and I now have to concern myself with finding some way of even getting to America. Fortunately they will also need a bit of time to build up, but I feel like if I wait too long, they'll become unstoppable. Their estimated industrial capacity is extreme. I would need to control about all of Europe to match it, I think.

USSR is still quiet, and we have decent relations, not to mention Poland never got conquered, so I should be safe for now from that giant. My manpower is a touch low after wars with 3 major powers, and USSR has just about infinite manpower if they put their minds to it. Currently, my conscription laws are "Extensive Conscription", which gives me 5% of my population as potential manpower (I get an almost negligible amount from conquered lands, like France and Germany); If I had to, I could step up to service by requirement or all adults must serve, but that comes with some industrial penalties as well as majorly increased training time on new units.

OK, enough talk. I'll post up some screenshots of my game right now when I get home.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Sage

Unread postby greencactaur » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:13 am

I've been playing league and am typically known as the God of war in the bronze 5 league :p
greencactaur
Academic

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:20 pm

I have heard really good things about Hearts of Iron IV, glad your enjoying it and good luck with Italy.

My Empire in Warhammer now controls my home province, Mairrburgs lands, Middenland and just taken Wissenland, strength rating of 2 thanks to 2 powerful armies (will be building a 3rd) but now Chaos Warriors have persuaded the Norscians to move down so have to drive them back north. Bretoanians are in stalemate (and their king is doing quite badly), vampires encroaching steadily on Averland and Stirland my close allies, kind of tempted to attack Nordland

Started horror game Until Dawn, done tutorial+2 chapters. Premise: A year ago, two students died but their friends return to isolated cabin up a mountain. It's attempts to do realistic faces does not work, the smiles are unintentionally scary and it never looks right. It's big idea is that your sessions with an analyst at the end of the chapter change how it scares you, seen one or two signs of that so far and I do think it works as a horror. Doesn't have overall atmosphere of horror or creepiness but it's moments of horror do work, I was quite startled more then a few times even on one or two occasions where I guessed it would happen.

In terms of gameplay, uses the move function of PS4 control really well, QTE events feel fair so far (missed one when took hand off controls), clubs easy to find if you explore and look for them (the glinting is enough if your looking for them) but need to be aware that in some cases, it is behind where your character starts. Can be a bit meh outside the horror moments so far and their attempts at sexy flirting feels off. DLC really not worth it
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

Unread postby Jia Shengde » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:16 pm

Bush Leagues wrote:I mentioned Hearts of Iron IV before, and I guess this is just an update. I'd decided, for my first game, to go with a "Italy First" game.

It sounds quite interesting, and since I enjoyed playing Victoria 2 I think I will try out Hearts of Iron. Which edition would you recommend? Steam has 4 different kinds. (http://prntscr.com/bie06w)
''Dreary, dank, and dimly lit. Truly a sanctuary to call home.''
Jia Shengde
Initiate

Unread postby Valvatorez » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:34 pm

Bush Leagues wrote:One thing I was playing recently was Stellaris....

I started playing this a few days ago, and it's pretty addicting at first, and I agree with most of what you said in your post about it. I had to go through and edit a lot of the costs and effects of certain things to balance it out more, since some things, especially anything involving Influence cost way too much, and things like that. The game I'm playing now pretty much has everyone around me as an enemy, but none of them seem to do anything until I declare war on one of them, then all of them try to attack at the same time, since most of them are in an alliance with each other.

Jia Shengde wrote:
It sounds quite interesting, and since I enjoyed playing Victoria 2 I think I will try out Hearts of Iron. Which edition would you recommend? Steam has 4 different kinds. (http://prntscr.com/bie06w)

So someone that actually HAS the game might be able to answer this better lol, but this is from the official forums on what the differences are between them:
The Cadet edition is a standard Hearts of Iron IV release, but a pre-order will come with a new icon for the official Paradox forums and a new wallpaper.

The Colonel edition includes everything the Cadet version does, and also one extra icon and a special Tank Pack to add variety to the vehicles running through your enemy lines.

The Field Marshal edition includes everything from the lower ranked versions as well as an exclusive forum avatar and an expansion pass that will include the first two Expansion DLC packs for Hearts of Iron IV, whenever they are released.

I guess it just depends on how interested you are in the game and how much you want to spend.
Valvatorez
Assistant

Unread postby Jia Shengde » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:59 pm

Valvatorez wrote:
Jia Shengde wrote:

So someone that actually HAS the game might be able to answer this better lol, but this is from the official forums on what the differences are between them:
The Cadet edition is a standard Hearts of Iron IV release, but a pre-order will come with a new icon for the official Paradox forums and a new wallpaper.

The Colonel edition includes everything the Cadet version does, and also one extra icon and a special Tank Pack to add variety to the vehicles running through your enemy lines.

The Field Marshal edition includes everything from the lower ranked versions as well as an exclusive forum avatar and an expansion pass that will include the first two Expansion DLC packs for Hearts of Iron IV, whenever they are released.

I guess it just depends on how interested you are in the game and how much you want to spend.

Ah, thanks. Seems like the more expensive ones are not very useful, then I will go for the cadet version.
''Dreary, dank, and dimly lit. Truly a sanctuary to call home.''
Jia Shengde
Initiate

Unread postby Kayzr » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:36 pm

Replaying Red Dead Redemption on Xbox 360.
Let us begin with Zeus, whom we mortals never leave unspoken.
For every street, every market-place is full of Zeus.
Even the sea and the harbour are full of this deity.
Everywhere everyone is indebted to Zeus.
For we are indeed his offspring.
Kayzr
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Dong Zhou » Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:57 am

Dong Zhou wrote:
Started horror game Until Dawn, done tutorial+2 chapters. Premise: A year ago, two students died but their friends return to isolated cabin up a mountain. It's attempts to do realistic faces does not work, the smiles are unintentionally scary and it never looks right. It's big idea is that your sessions with an analyst at the end of the chapter change how it scares you, seen one or two signs of that so far and I do think it works as a horror. Doesn't have overall atmosphere of horror or creepiness but it's moments of horror do work, I was quite startled more then a few times even on one or two occasions where I guessed it would happen.

In terms of gameplay, uses the move function of PS4 control really well, QTE events feel fair so far (missed one when took hand off controls), clubs easy to find if you explore and look for them (the glinting is enough if your looking for them) but need to be aware that in some cases, it is behind where your character starts. Can be a bit meh outside the horror moments so far and their attempts at sexy flirting feels off. DLC really not worth it

Finished it and it doesn't live up to early promise for me. The analyst stuff drops off, it has moments of scares in most chapters but then went in a direction that turned me off
mystic+mental health rather then humans
, didn't warm to the characters. QET and don't move events was very good and enjoyed hunting trophies but given they split chapter into segments, it's "you finished the game, do you want to go back" should go by segment rather then replay whole chapters. It was a nice game with scares but one that fades out

Don't skip the credits though if you play it
“You, are a rebellious son who abandoned his father. You are a cruel brigand who murdered his lord. How can Heaven and Earth put up with you for long? And unless you die soon, how can you face the sight of men?”
Dong Zhou
A-Dou
A-Dou

Location: "Now we must die. May Your Majesty maintain yourself"

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven