What are you playing right now?

Discuss everything game-related including consoles and console games and hardware, pen and paper roleplaying (e.g. D&D), modern sports, and more.

Re: What are you playing right now?

Unread postby Gray Riders » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:37 pm

Dong Zhou wrote:Bush, Gray, what do you think of this mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =691664240

A lot of nice work; and it's nifty that he's adding units for the other factions now! It's great to see the Knights Panther and Blazing Sun even if they couldn't import models to make them look 100% accurate.

It has a few weird things though; the dismounted Reiksguard use the same weapon and thus have the damage as the normal state troops (reiksgard infantry had strength 4 back in fourth edition; I don't know if they were nerfed at some point though) and the Bonegrinder Giant has "Bigger and 'Arder" but doesn't actually do extra damage against large (which is what the trait refers to).

I probably won't get to use the mod much because I'm working on a huge overhaul of my own and they will not be very compatible--though a number of the units I'm planning for it are already in Empire of Sigmar since we're both adding "missing" units.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:53 am

Dong Zhou wrote:Bush, Gray, what do you think of this mod: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =691664240

I'm at work right now, and will check that when I get home.

One thing I was playing recently was Stellaris, a new IP from Paradox Interactive, creator of more than a few games I like, such as Europa Universalis 4, Crusader Kings 2, and the to-be-released on June 6, Heart of Iron 4. Paradox specializes in "grand strategy" games, where handling the broad sweeping changes that determine a nation's fate is more the focus than the tiny details.

Stellaris is their first journey into a non-historical time period, focusing on the future where a unifed planet (be it Earth or some other species) begins their journey into the stars. I have two space games I rather quite like, the turn-based Galactic Civilization series (I prefer 2, since 3 is a bit inferior and also has trouble running on my computer), and the real-time Sins of a Solar Empire. Stellaris, being a real-time game you can pause at any time, somewhat straddles the line between these two.

Stellaris definitely has it's problems, but it also has some features and ideas that are quite cool, and I find it different enough from the focus of Sins or GalCiv that I can't say either is a strict upgrade on [i]Stellaris[i/]. Stellaris currently lacks any victory condition outside of conquering, some choices, particularly in your species' traits and attributes are not well-balanced yet, and by the developers' own admission, quite a few things intended to be in the game at launch are still missing (primarily mid-game events; currently the mid-game is extremely dull).

But there are definitely some interesting things here. Researching technology comes in a "technology deck" where, when you finish a tech, you draw three cards randomly from the deck, and must pick from those; these draws are weighted, so you are likely to get cheaper techs early on, and at least a few have pre-requisites before they will show up (researching the smaller ship classes before the larger ones, for instance). They have a feature called "fallen empires" that will appear on maps - essentially super-high tech developed nations at the start, that will generally sit back and do very little, but certain actions will invoke their wrath and they will declare war on you for it. For instance, a highly religious fallen empire will have certain "holy sites" in the universe that they will protect from colonization. A fallen empire worried about a sentient AI will attack civilizations that research in that way, and so on.

I wouldn't recommend picking it up right away, but if it sounds like your cup of tea, you might try checking out a video or two of it, and seeing if it's something you can get into. I might also wait for the first few sets of patches to see what's added and fixed to the game. Paradox is typically good with patches, but I've become a bit wary of their DLC system as of late, so it's something to keep in mind.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Pan Feng can destroy this Hua Xiong! A Han Fu ROTK IX After-Action Report.
One of the best posts ever about Pan Feng.
Bush Leagues
Sage

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:14 am

Sounds similar to the old Master of Orion games. I use to love them!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Mon Jun 06, 2016 9:26 am

Sun Fin wrote:Sounds similar to the old Master of Orion games. I use to love them!

Some others have compared Stellaris to MoO, but I have no basis since I've never played MoO. I recommend you check out a Let's Play or some other thing along those lines.

Avoid Paradox Forums, the people there suck.
Currently playing: Android: Netrunner LCG , Shadowrun (tabletop), and Warhammer Ancient Battle.

Bush Leagues
Sage

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:12 am

Sadly I no longer have a computer capable of running games (it rejected iTunes a few months ago and I still haven't figured out why :( ) so I won't be picking up either game any time soon!
“I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear.” ― Nelson Mandela
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:40 am

I don't see what iTunes has to do with it, but otherwise sad. I might post some HOI4 stuff once I get going on it. I was thinking Italy for a first game.

Bush Leagues
Sage

Unread postby Gray Riders » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:54 pm

Personally, Stellaris looks a little like the first MOO to me; not so much the second. I haven't played though, it so this is going off of videos.

One of the major differences is that combat is always auto, following paradox tradition, and some people are reporting it being a little glitchy and badly done.
Gray Riders
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Sun Fin » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:22 pm

Bush Leagues wrote:I don't see what iTunes has to do with it, but otherwise sad. I might post some HOI4 stuff once I get going on it. I was thinking Italy for a first game.

:lol:

I see what you mean! What I meant was if it can't even handle iTunes I doubt its got the capacity to run recent games.
Sun Fin
Scholar of Shen Zhou

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:58 am

Sun Fin wrote:I see what you mean! What I meant was if it can't even handle iTunes I doubt its got the capacity to run recent games.

That makes a lot more sense. Too bad about all that.

Bush Leagues
Sage

Unread postby Bush Leagues » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:06 am

Well, my gaming will definitely be dominated by Hearts of Iron IV, Paradox's new entry in their WW2 grand strategy series.

I've been going back and forth about what to play to start, and I think I will go with a Italian game, where instead of joining the Axis, I will make my own faction, subjugate/annex/diplomatically pressure the various Balkan states into the fold, and the focus on taking out of the other major European powers - Spain (Nationalist or Republican; depends on who wins the Spanish Civil War), France, the UK, and Germany. Control of Africa, or at least north Africa, will also be established, along with the oil-rich Middle East.

The only two hard parts of that plan will be dealing with the UK and Germany. Italy's navy is rather poor compared to France, much less the UK, and I'm not sure what the best way to deal with them is yet. If any assault on the main island is to be done without relying entirely on paratroopers (because Market Garden went so good), their navy will have to be dealt with. Germany's army is also something else that could be a concern, but by the time I turn to them, I should have veteran troops from the many campaigns thus far, along with positional advantage from controlling both the south and west of Germany. If I can control the air, I think a conquest is definitely possible.

I'll post details of how it's going over time if there's any interest.

Bush Leagues
Sage

PreviousNext

Return to Gamers’ Haven